What is Varys's secret mission (SPOILERS)?

SchpaceLord

Volantis would make sense, but I find it hard to believe that Yara and Theon have just been camping out there.  They specifically said they were going to go make an alliance with Dany, so that would be all too convenient.  I think that is the only option though isnt it?

IF if was Dorne, how does that help?  I dont think Dorne has a large fleet of boats do they? 

Varys mission is to go get Dany her boas... there really are not many options out there for that.

1 hour ago, Ross2013 said:

In this continuity, doesn't Tommen, Marg, or HS make better targets at this point.  I'm not sure killing Kevan and/or Pycelle helps Varys in the TV show.

In any event, TV Varys seems hardly capable of pulling the trigger on the crossbow.  I guess book Varys didn't either until he did...

Kevan, here Hand of the King, is the one reining Cersei in, like nobody else could, and Cersei (OK, Qyburn) appears to have something nasty up her sleeve. Kill Kevan, give Cersei some room and - mayhem. The capital will be unable to defend itself against Khaleesi, if everyone's too busy defending himself from his own allies.

And Varys looks pretty much as Varys is supposed to look - soft-spoken apparent wimp, with occasional glimpses of a ruthless SOB underneath.

I think Varys is going to get Kevan and Pycelle. However, unlike the books, I think it will not be at the very end of the episode/season, but BEFORE Cersei's trial. I think seeing Kevan/Pycelle murdered and perhaps Tommen dead already will be the final straw.

1 hour ago, The Dorne Ultimatum said:

I'm not sure what the obsession is with Kevan being killed, either. He's barely made an impression on the show since the first time we saw him in season one. Killing him would be a "meh" moment in the show.

What "obsession" are you talking about?

Yes, Kevan is a somewhat bland, secondary character. Just as he was in the books. He was extremely easy to miss until Cersei's fall from power, just as in the books. In the books, he's unexpectedly killed by Varys. Which is why I'm assuming he'll follow the same fate in the show.

I must check a few dictionaries for the definition of "obsession", but I have a feeling that you didn't use the word correctly.

12 hours ago, The Dorne Ultimatum said:

Could he not be heading to Volantis to meet with Yara and Theon? They have the fleet Dany needs... you can envisage it now: the Slavers' siege continues well into Ep10, only for the Iron Fleet to arrive and send their ships to the bottom of Slavers' Bay.

Surely Drogon can deal with the Slavers' siege in a few fiery breaths?

13 hours ago, Rhollo said:

My first thought was also "He's going to Dorne" and my second one was: "Oh god, please don't go to Dorne"

42 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Maybe Varys is out looking for Gendry. That guy must be a rowing like a pro by now, he will get all those Dothrakis and Unsullied across the narrow sea in a heartbeat.

Haha - cracking me up

6 hours ago, Xarkar said:

IF if was Dorne, how does that help?  I dont think Dorne has a large fleet of boats do they? 

Varys mission is to go get Dany her boas... there really are not many options out there for that.

Not necessarily. Yes, Dany needs a fleet, but the Iron born look like they have that covered one way or another. They might also be able to nick some of the slaver fleet. However, once they get to Westeros Dany will need allies there in order to take and hold the territory. Dorn makes sense from that point of view, and it kind of ties things in with the fAegon plot in the books (where they discuss needing Westerosi allies in some depth).

12 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

What "obsession" are you talking about?

Yes, Kevan is a somewhat bland, secondary character. Just as he was in the books. He was extremely easy to miss until Cersei's fall from power, just as in the books. In the books, he's unexpectedly killed by Varys. Which is why I'm assuming he'll follow the same fate in the show.

I must check a few dictionaries for the definition of "obsession", but I have a feeling that you didn't use the word correctly.

Your feeling is incorrect, then, but thank you for taking the time to review my use of vocabulary and syntax. Allow me to assist you in checking a number of online resources.

People on here - mainly book readers - are preoccupied with Kevan potentially finding his end this series, as indicated by there being so many posts in this topic alone suspecting that Varys will kill him. Why? What bearing would killing Show Kevan achieve in the eyes of the casual viewer? We book readers know the significance of it, inasmuch as recognising it as weakening the crown's position ahead of a Targaryen restoration. But to the casual show watcher who can barely remember who Kevan is, let alone recognise him as the head of House Lannister and Hand of the King, what would be so significant about killing a decidedly secondary character? Taking out Pycelle and Mace Tyrell would be more significant in that regard. If Kevan is to die in the show, having Cersei (well, the Mountain) doing it would have more poignancy. 

He's clearly going to get support from the wretched wenches in Dorne. D&D will make us suffer their atrocious plot line and acting further. With any hope one of them will try to tame a Dragon and get burnt in the process, the show loves using other character to play out scenes from the books. This is just wishful thinking from me.

Yeah, unfortunately Dorne exists for a reason. They hate the Lannisters as much as anyone does so they will likely be quick to follow another strong woman. Dorne has a large army and ties to the area. They can lead the army up through the southern part of Westeros picking up more along the way, Storms End and such. So as much I have enjoyed Dorne not being on the show lately I am afraid it's coming back.

As to the Kevan and Pycelle issue, I think they will let Cersei handle it in the show. It's still setting up that Kevan and Pycelle are helping bring calm and restoring order to KL so it's time for a shake up so Cersei thinks she can get back in power or, burn them all.

4 hours ago, The Dorne Ultimatum said:

Your feeling is incorrect, then, but thank you for taking the time to review my use of vocabulary and syntax. Allow me to assist you in checking a number of online resources.

People on here - mainly book readers - are preoccupied with Kevan potentially finding his end this series, as indicated by there being so many posts in this topic alone suspecting that Varys will kill him. Why? What bearing would killing Show Kevan achieve in the eyes of the casual viewer? We book readers know the significance of it, inasmuch as recognising it as weakening the crown's position ahead of a Targaryen restoration. But to the casual show watcher who can barely remember who Kevan is, let alone recognise him as the head of House Lannister and Hand of the King, what would be so significant about killing a decidedly secondary character? Taking out Pycelle and Mace Tyrell would be more significant in that regard. If Kevan is to die in the show, having Cersei (well, the Mountain) doing it would have more poignancy. 

Not much at all, this being said, whacking a boring as dirt character is always good in my eyes.

I think Qyburn will do it, though.

Could Varys be killing Tommen instead?

In the books, Tommen is a little boy, and killing Kevan made sense because he was more present (not to mention that book!Varys may be reluctant to hurt children).

In the show, Tommen is pretty close to being an adult, and plays his part in the game of thrones (even if he plays it by being manipulated, though he's probably aware of the game he's playing).

Archived