What is Varys's secret mission (SPOILERS)?

SchpaceLord

Varys' actual words are, "We need allies in Westeros and we need ships." The Ironborn fit both bills there. He's going to negotiate with them: you provide use of your ships, we'll give you land and defeat your creepy uncle for you. Killing Kevan, Pycelle, or really anyone else gets no friends and no ships. Dorne could offer alliance, but famously has no ships since Nymeria  burned the fleet when they arrived in Dorne centuries ago.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:11 AM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Kills Kevan, just like in the books. In this continuity, Daenerys, not Aegon is his horse, but killing Kevan still seems like a good move.

yes this is right. Prob also enlisting fox force 5 down in dorne now that they have probably solidified the succession of power to female bastards because, ya know, that's how that works.

Also possible varys enlists the help of the hound, presumably with a bag of chickens, and maybe even swings by a newly retaken winterfell because somewhere out there someone thinks that joining together all the different disparate groups who were in some way wronged by the lannisters and having them all come together like a westerosi voltron would be good writing. 

I think Varys will do the same thing as he did in the books.  There will be no surprise here.

The only thing I will be surprised if Varys plays some other game that Targs there, but I doubt it, he had been whitewashed in the shows just as Cersei and Tyrion were.

5 hours ago, No One of Importance said:

Varys' actual words are, "We need allies in Westeros and we need ships." The Ironborn fit both bills there. He's going to negotiate with them: you provide use of your ships, we'll give you land and defeat your creepy uncle for you. Killing Kevan, Pycelle, or really anyone else gets no friends and no ships. Dorne could offer alliance, but famously has no ships since Nymeria  burned the fleet when they arrived in Dorne centuries ago.

So Varys cuts a deal with Euron (who is just finishing up his 1000th ship) on behalf of Queen Danaerys for them to eventually find that she made her own deal with the Ironborn splinter cell headed by Yara/Theon? I'd sign off on that one.

6 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

So Varys cuts a deal with Euron (who is just finishing up his 1000th ship) on behalf of Queen Danaerys for them to eventually find that she made her own deal with the Ironborn splinter cell headed by Yara/Theon? I'd sign off on that one.

My money is just on Varys striking a deal with Yara and Theon. He says they need friends in Westeros, not that he's going there.

On 6/13/2016 at 6:11 AM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Kills Kevan, just like in the books. In this continuity, Daenerys, not Aegon is his horse, but killing Kevan still seems like a good move.

There would be no point to this. In the books there is a reason because Kevan is making all the moves in KL and restoring order and reason. 

In the show hes a non-factor, as they have made Tommen a puppet to the High Sparrow, any motivation to kill Kevan has been removed in the show version.

22 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Maybe Varys is out looking for Gendry. That guy must be a rowing like a pro by now, he will get all those Dothrakis and Unsullied across the narrow sea in a heartbeat.

My thoughts exactly!  Gendry has a ship and could be made an ally.  Instead of 20 good men, we will have an Olympian rower with royal blood. Who can't make something out of that :D

On 6/12/2016 at 11:30 PM, SchpaceLord said:

Hey all, 

Longtime lurker/first time poster. What is Varys's mission? Is he off to kill Kevan?

Isn't it obvious?  Kill Pycelle and Kevan.  After all, D&D have to hit their requisite plot points from the books, though I'm just betting the context in the show will not make a lick of sense.  In fact, I know it won't.

48 minutes ago, No One of Importance said:

My money is just on Varys striking a deal with Yara and Theon. He says they need friends in Westeros, not that he's going there.

Your money is on Varys embarking on a secret mission to parlay with the captain of an Ironborn fleet that's currently in Volantis and on their way to Meereen to seek the audience of the Queen anyway? That kind of goof would be way too unVarys.

5 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

Your money is on Varys embarking on a secret mission to parlay with the captain of an Ironborn fleet that's currently in Volantis and on their way to Meereen to seek the audience of the Queen anyway? That kind of goof would be way too unVarys.

I don't see how that's a goof. Get to them before they get to you, ascertain their full intentions, strike a deal. Seems sensible to me.

32 minutes ago, No One of Importance said:

I don't see how that's a goof. Get to them before they get to you, ascertain their full intentions, strike a deal. Seems sensible to me.

Fair point, but it still doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

If only he had known the slaver's fleet was about to show up and bombard the city a few hours later (or did he?). Then he would be better off to let them come to him and earn their audience with the Queen. It seems like we should have seen Tyrion desperately trying to find out how to get word to Varys about the attack so he could convince the Ironborn to show up and engage them.

6 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

Fair point, but it still doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

If only he had known the slaver's fleet was about to show up and bombard the city a few hours later (or did he?). Then he would be better off to let them come to him and earn their audience with the Queen. It seems like we should have seen Tyrion desperately trying to find out how to get word to Varys about the attack so he could convince the Ironborn to show up and engage them.

We only saw Tyrion for a moment after the attack; had to end that scene on Dany's dramatic entrance.

On 6/13/2016 at 5:53 AM, gandalfxj said:

Varys does't need to go to KL. He killed Kevan to keep up the chaos there, but in the show chaos is still very much ruling KL.

I was wandering how much control he still has over his little birds. Qyburn took over some of his netword in KL. I wonder how that will play out or if They just forgot about that.

I was wondering this as well.  The reason for his murder of Kevan and Pycelle doesn't exist in the story, so surely he is off to something else.  What that is I have no idea.

Archived