So After That I Episode I Don't Think the Book is Getting Spoiled Very Much (Book Spoilers)

Maxxine

11 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

And even if he does, season 8 will certainly be spoiling book 7. Christ, that's a long wait I'm not looking forward to. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the poor cunts who've been with this thing since the very beginning. Twenty fuckin' years!

They arent really planning on a season 8. I think thats how we can explain the rushed nature of the events going on. I think they plan to wrap it in season 7

15 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Sadly, the situation we are in right now is kind of leeching all the joy out of the show for me. The show is jumping from moment to moment and the journey is not earned. I wanted to cheer when Arya takes back her name but that whole story was so bleah. I'm positive the Martin will make me feel it, I don't have any trust in the show to do so.

As someone who watched Season 1 before ever reading the books, I agree.

There are storylines dropped unexpectedly that they themselves already started to follow in the show... (Anyone remember HBO Hyping Doran and the Sand Snakes prior to the last Season?) added scenes that feel like filler (Do you know any jokes?), plot points that are forgotten or just hand-waived away to get to the next "big scene" (Lord Commander is a zombie now? Ok, but Ice Zombies North of the Wall must still be as fake as Grumpkins!).

This is the first Season I've felt underwhelmed watching. Maybe even bordering on confused.... Why the hell is Davos the one uniting the North exactly?

Yeah, it does feel like this season is full of confirmation of things we were already sure of (Jon being resurrected, Gravedigger, Dany taking control of the Dothraki, possibly R+L=J, UnGregor actually being UnGregor and so forth). Many characters are still on their AFFC/Dance material. They've got some stuff that's almost certainly off-book and thus isn't spoiling anything too, like the Loras situation and Coldhands being Benjen.

It's interesting that Martin has confirmed some stuff about the Hodor situation. It's certainly possible Hodor was caused by Bran fucking up (he IS a child who doesn't have superb control of his powers after all), but I'm sure it won't be all timey-wimey and written like an action movie. I'm also certain Summer won't pointlessly sacrifice himself.

I really hope Winds comes out this year. There are so many chapters out there that I feel like I've already read half the book and I need something to wash the bad taste of the show out of my mouth. I have so much respect for those of you who have been there the whole time (or nearly the whole time). I read the books at the end of the first season and I feel like I've been waiting forever, but 5 years is nothing.

9 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I hope you're right. I'm pretty sure the "hold the door" thing is happening, but I hope GRRM doesn't do the time loop thing. This book is complicated enough without adding that element. I'm hoping it has something to with Crypts at WF. I liked the theory that he saw the Great Other and Hodor is the Great Other's name. Seem like that's not it, but it could still have something to do with the Crypts. Maybe a Stark child inadvertently caused the issue somehow.

GRRM has had time traveling in his other works (predominately sci-fi) and it's explored far similar elements to make me think that Bran messing Walder in the first place makes sense.

GRRM when he does time travel likes to have it be consciousnesses that do the time traveling, which he believes negates the whole time loop paradox idea. If your consciousness time travels back to the past, possesses and merges itself with random guy X, and then forces random guy X to murder your grandfather, random guy X murdered your grandfather--you never did, ergot the paradox is "solved" so to speak. I don't agree that the paradox is solved, but that's George's belief in Time Travel, not my own. So since it's Bran's consciousness doing the time travel, I can believe rather easily that Bran does things like that.

Regarding the time travel & Bran...  Bran already contacted Jon in a wolf dream when he was north of the wall with the half hand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hadn't reached the 3ER Raven yet had he?  

Spoiler

Also many believe that Bran was contacting and leading or controlling Theon in the Reek in Winterfell chapters.  Those were some very interesting chapters if you look at the details in them.  So Bran's powers could really be strong in the next book.

I think it really depends on your definition of spoilers.  The details for a lot of it are going to be very different in the books but we are getting some spoilers of the general motion of events.  Yes a lot of the spoilers are just confirming what is already suspected, but that is still a spoiler.  The show also seems to be playing catch up on a lot of the plotlines they skipped, which could be an attempt to fill time, but could also indicate that the show is going to stay relatively true to the books.  There is also the notion that the show would prefer to simplify whenever possible for the sake of budget.  Thus certain characters maybe pulling double duty and filling in the role of other characters, which could make things both easier and harder to know when we are seeing book spoilers.  Here are some of the spoilers that I think have happened.

Dany gets all of the Dothraki on her side.

Arya is with a trope of mummers and does something to displease the faceless men.  When she tries to leave, she is attacked and has to kill her assailant.  Afterwards she becomes Arya Stark once more and heads for Westeros.  Honestly, at the moment I'm thinking that her stabbing was actually almost straight from the book and that was why it felt so awkward since the show didn't have the proper build up for it.  Though I obviously could be wrong on that account. 

Sam obtains Heartsbane.

Tommen becomes a puppet of the High Sparrow and forbids trial by combat.  Someone feigns at being pious in order to get the sparrows to lower their guard (could be Margaery like in the show or Cersei since where we last saw her in the books indicated that it was a possibility). 

The Brotherhood without Banners will become free of Lady Stoneheart's tainting influence at the loss of their irredeemable members.  Then under new leadership add their numbers against the Others in the War for Dawn, or at least intend to.

Sandor is still alive and will play a significant role in future events.

The Hold the Door scene will be similar in the books

There are more, but they start to go a bit heavier in speculation, like Dany will make use of Victarion's fleet.  These might not necessarily be all that surprising of spoilers, but they will take the punch out of the scene in the books.  GRRM might still be able to make us care about the scene due to his quality of writing but it won't be the same as if the only forewarning we had was theories.

Even if a lot of the main plot points were "spoiled" in the show I'm sure GRRM's buildup will be so much better and certainly more satisfying. The writers of the show have been doing a really crap job these last two seasons. There have been so many character inconsistencies and useless side-plots.

Season 6 thus far has been almost unwatchable. Nothing seems to follow logic anymore and I feel all of the individual plots are unraveling instead of coming together. 

Honestly it won't even matter if D&D spoil the endgame of Game of Thrones because GRRM's buildup to the end is going be infinitely better (so hopefully GRRM will finish in a more timely manner).

7 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

They arent really planning on a season 8. I think thats how we can explain the rushed nature of the events going on. I think they plan to wrap it in season 7

I read somewhere they're planning on a 7 episode season 7, and a 6 episode season 8.

18 minutes ago, lalunadelmar said:

Even if a lot of the main plot points were "spoiled" in the show I'm sure GRRM's buildup will be so much better and certainly more satisfying. The writers of the show have been doing a really crap job these last two seasons. There have been so many character inconsistencies and useless side-plots.

Season 6 thus far has been almost unwatchable. Nothing seems to follow logic anymore and I feel all of the individual plots are unraveling instead of coming together. 

Honestly it won't even matter if D&D spoil the endgame of Game of Thrones because GRRM's buildup to the end is going be infinitely better (so hopefully GRRM will finish in a more timely manner).

I am starting to think that the tv show writing is SO bad partly because perhaps D&D are "testing out" some "ideas" to see how the audience will react so that GRRM can then modify HIS version of the story to turn out to be MUCH better. If the books came out before the tv show, it would make these episodes that much worse and we'd be complaining even more. #Thinkaboutit.

Another "theory" brought about by unbelievably horrendous story telling/writing on the show. Or maybe the show writers are really that bad.

1 minute ago, tmug said:

I am starting to think that the tv show writing is SO bad partly because perhaps D&D are "testing out" some "ideas" to see how the audience will react so that GRRM can then modify HIS version of the story to turn out to be MUCH better. If the books came out before the tv show, it would make these episodes that much worse and we'd be complaining even more. #Thinkaboutit.

Another "theory" brought about by unbelievably horrendous story telling/writing on the show. Or maybe the show writers are really that bad.

I think that gives the writers too much credit. LOL. I'm going with the simplest answer. I'm inclined to believe the writers really are just that bad. And the fact that D&D give themselves such a big pat on the back for this season and the last just makes me laugh. 

3 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I'd love to read that! Can you link please? 

It was from his latest interview that he did (I believe the same one he read the Aeron chapter at) or one right before it, can't remember.  I'll try to dig it up, it shouldn't be too hard to find considering its one of his latest interviews and he doesn't seem to be giving many as of late.

7 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I think it really depends on your definition of spoilers.  The details for a lot of it are going to be very different in the books but we are getting some spoilers of the general motion of events.  Yes a lot of the spoilers are just confirming what is already suspected, but that is still a spoiler.  The show also seems to be playing catch up on a lot of the plotlines they skipped, which could be an attempt to fill time, but could also indicate that the show is going to stay relatively true to the books.  There is also the notion that the show would prefer to simplify whenever possible for the sake of budget.  Thus certain characters maybe pulling double duty and filling in the role of other characters, which could make things both easier and harder to know when we are seeing book spoilers.  Here are some of the spoilers that I think have happened.

Dany gets all of the Dothraki on her side.

Arya is with a trope of mummers and does something to displease the faceless men.  When she tries to leave, she is attacked and has to kill her assailant.  Afterwards she becomes Arya Stark once more and heads for Westeros.  Honestly, at the moment I'm thinking that her stabbing was actually almost straight from the book and that was why it felt so awkward since the show didn't have the proper build up for it.  Though I obviously could be wrong on that account. 

Sam obtains Heartsbane.

Tommen becomes a puppet of the High Sparrow and forbids trial by combat.  Someone feigns at being pious in order to get the sparrows to lower their guard (could be Margaery like in the show or Cersei since where we last saw her in the books indicated that it was a possibility). 

The Brotherhood without Banners will become free of Lady Stoneheart's tainting influence at the loss of their irredeemable members.  Then under new leadership add their numbers against the Others in the War for Dawn, or at least intend to.

Sandor is still alive and will play a significant role in future events.

The Hold the Door scene will be similar in the books

There are more, but they start to go a bit heavier in speculation, like Dany will make use of Victarion's fleet.  These might not necessarily be all that surprising of spoilers, but they will take the punch out of the scene in the books.  GRRM might still be able to make us care about the scene due to his quality of writing but it won't be the same as if the only forewarning we had was theories.

Totally agree with you. I will add: the plot can continue even if Stannis dies (spoiler from s5), but in a completely and probably unexpected way especially for Davos. Also Jon Snow back to Winderfell is kinda a spoiler. I think in the books we will have Sansa/Alayne arriving with the Vale's army. But that reamins a long shot for now. WOW has still a lot of lines which hasn't been touched in the show.

8 seasons

creators are considering 7 episodes for season 7, 6 for season 8

Archived