Flayed men in the preview?

Earlier in the year, WOTW confirmed that it is known characters on the crosses. They also said that one of them is not Rickon. 

Edd is now the face of the NW, it won't be him. There needs to be someone, other than extras to meet Bran at the Wall and be our POV when it falls. That is Edd. His story is bigger than being an unnecessary victim. Besides, there will be another victim that will trigger a strong reaction in Jon, Edd is not necessary. 

I think the options are:

• Osha- A symbolic warning towards the Wildlings fighting for Jon. Also, a grim reflection of Rickon's fate. 
  • Glover- A symbolic warning towards anyone that still has sentiments towards the Starks. Glover turned Jon and Sansa away, but he did say that he could get in trouble just for meeting with them. 
  • Stannis- A symbolic warning towards those hoping to defeat him (Ramsay). He defeated Stannis, and he wants to showcase that. It would also trigger Davos. However, this one does seem a little unrealistic, as lots of time has passed since Stannis actually died. The body would be poorly preserved. 
  • Shaggydog- I'm not sure if a wolf is on one of the crosses. But I would not be surprised to see Shaggydog used as a trophy in some way (a fur cloak, his head on a spike etc.) It would be a callback to Robb and Grey Wind. 

41 minutes ago, ~DarkHorse~ said:

Earlier in the year, WOTW confirmed that it is known characters on the crosses. They also said that one of them is not Rickon. 

Edd is now the face of the NW, it won't be him. There needs to be someone, other than extras to meet Bran at the Wall and be our POV when it falls. That is Edd. His story is bigger than being an unnecessary victim. Besides, there will be another victim that will trigger a strong reaction in Jon, Edd is not necessary. 

I think the options are:

• Osha- A symbolic warning towards the Wildlings fighting for Jon. Also, a grim reflection of Rickon's fate. 
  • Glover- A symbolic warning towards anyone that still has sentiments towards the Starks. Glover turned Jon and Sansa away, but he did say that he could get in trouble just for meeting with them. 
  • Stannis- A symbolic warning towards those hoping to defeat him (Ramsay). He defeated Stannis, and he wants to showcase that. It would also trigger Davos. However, this one does seem a little unrealistic, as lots of time has passed since Stannis actually died. The body would be poorly preserved. 
  • Shaggydog- I'm not sure if a wolf is on one of the crosses. But I would not be surprised to see Shaggydog used as a trophy in some way (a fur cloak, his head on a spike etc.) It would be a callback to Robb and Grey Wind. 

How will you prove its Stannis? He has no head.

Just came to my mind - it could be Ghost instead of Shaggydog. What's the point of burning dead direwolf? And Ghost's death will much more hurt Jon and that's Ramsey wants and is doing. That is the only thing that may hurt Jon now IMO. Besides, it is a great chance for D&D to get rid of another wolf.

On June 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM, MakeWesterosGreatAgain said:

The show isn't "24". Different scenes happen different time frames apart. A scene episodes apart in PLACE"A" could be days apart while scenes in back-to-back episodes in PLACE"B" might be weeks apart. I don't get why that's so hard to understand. 

The plot moves at the pace that's convenient for the show. Why show scenes of Mel riding a horse alone for days?

Yeah the book fanboys who claim to hate the show sure watch and post a lot! 

All tv shows are simpler than books, they have to be.  Martin isn't some genius, convoluted writer.  The perceived plot twists in his book are really just him defying genre norms.  His story is pretty straightforward and unsurprising, but given we are conditioned that the good guys always win in the end, which isn't true in real life, no wonder his books appear deep and complicated.  

31 minutes ago, Gdawg007 said:

All tv shows are simpler than books, they have to be.  Martin isn't some genius, convoluted writer.  The perceived plot twists in his book are really just him defying genre norms.  His story is pretty straightforward and unsurprising, but given we are conditioned that the good guys always win in the end, which isn't true in real life, no wonder his books appear deep and complicated.  

What makes it insane is that every book starts with a disclaimer about how different chapters are happening at different times and not in chronological order. ESPECIALLY the last two books.

I don't think Osha will be one, it wouldn't make sense. Jon and Sansa have never even met her, she wasn't captured by Robb until after Jon left for the wall and Sansa and Ned and the gang were heading for KL. And I doubt she knew that many other wildings so to everyone/mist on their side it would just be some random dead woman.

It is the Night's Watch. End of.

Osha, Stannis are probably covered in maggots at this stage. Ramsay went to the wall looking for Jon, didn't find him. He killed everyone. One of the burning bodies is probably Edd.

8 hours ago, nymeria_2321 said:

I don't think Osha will be one, it wouldn't make sense. Jon and Sansa have never even met her, she wasn't captured by Robb until after Jon left for the wall and Sansa and Ned and the gang were heading for KL. And I doubt she knew that many other wildings so to everyone/mist on their side it would just be some random dead woman.

If they are flayed, they won't be recognizable anyway. I think they will be identified by Ramsay pointing  out who they are, not Jon or Sansa recognize them. 

On June 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Lord LittleDragon said:

You guys have great televisions because I can only make out the Xs burning on my screen

There was a part in the first red band trailer where you can see one of the burning crosses close up.  There is definitely someone burning but it's a flayed mannequin whose face probably wasn't modeled after anyone known.  Could be Stannis, could be Lord Glover, could be a woman who's had a few layers of skin removed and has no distinguishing features.  We'll see Sunday.  

12 hours ago, Gdawg007 said:

I think what makes GRRM different from many writers is that he doesn't portray his characters in Dungeons and Dragons character types - they aren't Lawful Good (closest is Ned), Lawful Evil (closest is Tywin) or Chaotic Evil (closest is Cersei) or any of the other flavors. Jaime is a great example. We first know him as an evil character, then as we get to know him, he shows a lot of good. He still does  a lot of terrible things but at least you can understand his intentions are not pure evil - as opposed to say, Sauron from LOTR.  

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrik Wyte said:

its going to be the NW innit?

Hmmm. I find it hard to see why/how. There are too many question marks for me:

• Ramsay's men marched to the wall and back again before Jon and Sansa get there (I know the 20 men are good, but that good?)
  • How would they know which of the NW men meant something to Jon?
  • Taking Edd or anyone else would require an assault on the Night's Watch, potentially disabling it completely. Seems a high price to pay for a token bit of goading.
  • Why would Ramsay need to goad Jon into battle with the bodies of NW men when he already has Rickon and, well, Jon and his army already being there?
  • The implications seem too big. If Ramsay has killed Edd and co, then Castle Black should be a mess. Dramatically it makes more sense to come across a smoking Castle Black than one brother's body on a cross a long distance away

I find the NW idea a bit too much of a push, even by the showrunners' recent standards. The only names that make much sense to me are northern lords, such as Glover, whose loyalty to the Boltons might be in doubt. Maybe Rickon. Maybe some scouting detachment we see sent out early in the episode.

But beyond that we're running out of names. Just about everybody who means something to Jon is either already dead or accounted for.

If we are supposed to be able to recognize them (not Jon nor Sansa but we the viewers), then I agree with Osha and Shaggydog :-(.  It's cold there, bodies can be kept until Ramsay needed them.  I REALLY HATE the idea that it is Edd so I refuse to guess who the 3rd body is. 

3 hours ago, Black Prince said:

Hmmm. I find it hard to see why/how. There are too many question marks for me:

• Ramsay's men marched to the wall and back again before Jon and Sansa get there (I know the 20 men are good, but that good?)
  • How would they know which of the NW men meant something to Jon?
  • Taking Edd or anyone else would require an assault on the Night's Watch, potentially disabling it completely. Seems a high price to pay for a token bit of goading.
  • Why would Ramsay need to goad Jon into battle with the bodies of NW men when he already has Rickon and, well, Jon and his army already being there?
  • The implications seem too big. If Ramsay has killed Edd and co, then Castle Black should be a mess. Dramatically it makes more sense to come across a smoking Castle Black than one brother's body on a cross a long distance away

I find the NW idea a bit too much of a push, even by the showrunners' recent standards. The only names that make much sense to me are northern lords, such as Glover, whose loyalty to the Boltons might be in doubt. Maybe Rickon. Maybe some scouting detachment we see sent out early in the episode.

But beyond that we're running out of names. Just about everybody who means something to Jon is either already dead or accounted for.

Most plausible option IMO

Archived