Match Day 4: Spain vs Czech Republic, Ireland vs Sweden, Belgium vs Italy

8 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

So what is the matter with letting the ball cross? If it is a question of possibly having someone there to score or scoring yourself against your team, it seems like you should just mae the choice to not make contact

Because Larsson was immediately behind him and certain to make contact if he did not. Given how hard it was for Clark to avoid putting it in his own net when he was trying not to, it would have been a certain goal. Especially as Larsson was nearer the middle of the goal and further away from the keeper, Randolph.

Even if the best chance was to avoid taking action, which I doubt, Clark had a fraction of a second to act when he was aware the ball was coming towards the man behind him. Instinct would kick in.

9 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

So what is the matter with letting the ball cross? If it is a question of possibly having someone there to score or scoring yourself against your team, it seems like you should just mae the choice to not make contact

But you never know for sure you'd score, you always hope you can manage to kick it wide or the goalkeeper may save it or something. And you have a fraction of a second to make a call, that's not really a position for deepened deliberation. You practically act on impulse and instinct there. 

9 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

I actually thought Fellaini was one of Belgium's better players. I'd still drop him though, as his differing style is one of the main reasons why their side is incohesive. Playing him as the most advanced of the midfield three means a complete waste of KdB out wide, especially damning with Carrasco and Mertens on the bench. Also why ignore the centre back partnership of Alderweireld and Vertonghen when Vermaelen can be stuck out on the left instead?

Agree with this. KdB would be a much more effective #10 than Fellaini and, as you say, there are two quality players who can play on the right sitting on the bench. Not having a CB partnership of Vertonghen & Alderweireld is even more baffling, especially considering how rock solid that pairing has been for Spurs. Further evidence of Wilmots' ineptitude.

Wilmots has so far done just enough to not justify really talking about firing him, but I think this has to be his last tournament. It's almost as if the side has improved too much too quickly so it was hard to say he's underperforming when he's doing so much better than what was before.

But this Belgium should not be getting schooled by this Italy.

2 hours ago, john said:

Belgium are certainly a better team though

They have (way) better players but they are not a better team. This match proved it!

Looking at the individual values, the worst Italy in the last 50 years challenged the best Belgium ever and still won the game!!!

1 hour ago, Gylfi Gylfi Gylfi said:

God I hate Italy. They're so bloody Italian. Cynical fouls, time wasting, kicking the ball away, defending well.

As for Belgium they were awful. They need a proper manager.

Why would you hate a team that defend well, I can't understand!

It requires tactical organization, focus, tecnique!

Did the uber talented Germany play better? I was falling asleep watching them...

I agree with you! If Conte had managed Belgium they probably would have won not the game but the tournament.

15 minutes ago, Lucailduca said:

Why would you hate a team that defend well, I can't understand!

It requires tactical organization, focus, tecnique!

I just find the Italians irritating. They defend well, they're super tactical, their game management is second to none - they're everything that England aren't. It's hate mixed with a grudging respect.

I didn't want to say anything beforehand because I didn't want to jinx it, but only fools discount Italy in an international tournament. 

Fair enough, they don't have any superstars in their current squad, and I think winning the whole thing might be a tall order, but they have the best manager out of all the teams and a team of very skilful and tactically astute players who will be very hard to beat.

No team has really convinced so far, and Belgium were supposed to be one of the favourites. This looks like a very open competition, and with a good run of form and a bit of luck, I can see at least 6-7 teams who could win it. Greece did it in 2004, after all.

I just got out of my meetings and found a bar to watch the Mexico game.  Disappointing for Ireland earlier but it does seem like they cannot sustain their frenetic pressing and will be at risk in the second half of each game.  Zero surprise that the crafty Italians defeated the Belgians, who continue to look better on paper than they actually produce. 

4 hours ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

But this Belgium should not be getting schooled by this Italy.

I don't think there's any shame in losing to Italy, but they just don't look like a team. And they never have done. The odd thing is the players have been talking up the 'spirit' in the squad - I'm not sure what's wrong with them, but I'd be shocked if they go far in the tournament ( Personally hoping Ireland can beat them out of that group) 

I still would be really surprised if both Italy and Belgium wouldn't make it out of the group and into the quarters at least. This was the best match of the tournament so far after all. Sweden and Ireland looked much worse.

6 hours ago, Immobile Buffon said:

Despite my randomly assigned allegiance, I rarely enjoy watching Italy's gamesmanship.  It's effective but I'd be glad to see anyone else progress in their place. 

You are the worst at this game.

The Italy team is composed of guys who were at their best five years ago, and guys who would not have got into the squad five years ago. Yet they acknowledged and worked with their limitations and played to their strengths and got the result.

Belgium, by contrast, are supposed to be the best team in Europe, number 2 in the world, and the starting lineup was on paper the most impresive I've seen, but nothing clicked and nobody played well. The game plan seemed to be missing. You can't just throw eleven talented players onto the pitch and wait for the win.

Archived