A coworker spat in my face - can/should I get personal eyeglasses DNA tested for dried saliva to prove it?

Harrenys Targaryen

So my supervisor and I were having a jokey repartee after clocking out for the shift - he grins and excuses himself from the building.

The coworker emerges from the breakroom, I greet him, he flicks me off, accuses me of agitating supervisor and in so doing "making it harder for him [coworker] to work under his [supervisor's] watch", threatens to kick my you-know-what outside of work, and hocks up spittle at my forehead and glasses.

Five witnesses/coworkers who overheard (and perhaps saw) the above were all ESL speakers, one Spanish and four Karen (Thai/Burmese minority), though not the supervisor himself, to whom I promptly reported the situation: he says that he will bring me a form to fill out concerning this matter. 

In the meantime, I wonder if shucking out some dough towards the nearest forensics clinic might be the better course of action in gathering evidence to use against the offender? 

(Gotta keep the glasses unwashed until then in that case, eh?)

P.S. My HR department has currently put me on hold even as I prepare to tell them what I told him.

21 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont know Monica Lewinki's attorney, but here is the phone number for Barry Scheck- (212)-965-9081

http://www.nsbcivilrights.com/lawyers/barry-scheck/

I'm sure he would leap at the chance to represent you in this compelling legal drama.

Heh, we'd have to secure the rights before getting to that stage! ^_^

21 hours ago, MisterSrna said:

You win the day.

Well done.

Who was the runner-up? ;)

21 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

How are you going to get a comparative DNA sample from him that is admissible in the court of HR? "Look, I have this spit sample on my glasses and this hair I plucked from him and the two of them match!"

I was thinking about the fact that he and I both had our fingerprints taken upon hire...

2 hours ago, Harrenys Targaryen said:

I was thinking about the fact that he and I both had our fingerprints taken upon hire...

Unless I'm very much mistaken, fingerprints don't contain DNA.

Fingerprints that don't deposit testable strands of DNA are sooooo old skool.  They're like the myspace of fingerprints.  GET WITH THE TIMES!!!!

On a serious note, OP, I think the only time DNA* would come into it would be if the police were investigating it as a crime.  Spitting on someone is considered assault so you'd definitely have grounds to file a complaint with your local police department.  At the very least, someone who is assaulting other employees should be fired.  One would hope your HR took that step, especially considering there were plenty of witnesses.  

*and ffs no, there won't be testable DNA in your employee fingerprint file.

Yeah, keep the eyeglasses unwashed and if you don't get satisfaction from HR then lay an assault claim with the police, in which the eyeglasses become the key bit of forensic evidence to prove that that guy's saliva is on your glasses. And then if the guy is successfully prosecuted you can sue your employer for failing to take appropriate action in response to a workplace assault (if you are ready to leave that company, and possibly find it hard to get work without moving to a new town). 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You haven't gotten that upgrade yet?

No, our health insurance wouldn't cover it and I'm not sure that upgrade's worth paying the extra money.

But now you mention it, I may look into it a bit better. :thumbsup:

I'm more interested in your past interactions with this charming fellow.  Seems that you two probably have a history of nastiness for it to have escalated to said discharge of fluid upon his hearing a "joke" at which your supervisor and you were laughing. 

Is the guy generally weird in other ways?  I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I can see the possibility of such animosity escalating to actual violence. 

Getting a testable DNA sample should be pretty easy, if you're really dedicated to doing it. You might try following the guy into the bathroom and seeing if you can capture a fecal sample. You might be able to find some cells from the inner lining of the rectum or, better yet, some blood if they have a particularly difficult stool. 

Alternatively, you can attempt to surreptitiously pleasure them to climax and then catch a DNA sample in a petri dish or, if they are small enough, a test tube. 

If you're not willing to consider these alternatives, I really have to question your fidelity to this story. 

15 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'm more interested in your past interactions with this charming fellow.  Seems that you two probably have a history of nastiness for it to have escalated to said discharge of fluid upon his hearing a "joke" at which your supervisor and you were laughing. 

Is the guy generally weird in other ways?  I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I can see the possibility of such animosity escalating to actual violence. 

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this whole account is not apocryphal, and written for the lulz.

8 hours ago, BloodRider said:

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this whole account is not apocryphal, and written for the lulz.

I did wonder about this too, but I figured it was more amusing to take it seriously.

8 hours ago, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

Why the fuck would you solicit advice about a legal matter in the General Chat section of an online forum dedicated to a fantasy literature series?

Some posters look at things as they are and ask why.  Some, OTOH, ask why not.

(to paraphrase.)

On June 16, 2016 at 6:27 AM, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

Why the fuck would you solicit advice about a legal matter in the General Chat section of an online forum dedicated to a fantasy literature series?

We are well known here on the internets for the quality and sincerity  of our advice.  No case too small. 

Archived