Dinklage can make something out of complete nothing!

FoyeTwenty Boston

1 hour ago, Tagganaro said:

I mean, in my opinion Dinklage is making nothing out of nothing this season.  His scenes are consistently low points of the episodes he appears in as he has nothing to really do but make jokes to Grey Worm and Missandei and Varys.  I don't think it's Dinklage's fault at all, there's just no reason for his character to even be appearing outside of it being Dinklage and Tyrion being such a hit character early on.  

So they left Bran out for a season, why not leave Tyrion out?

23 minutes ago, ummester said:

Dinklage is a very overrated actor, IMO and, alongside other lesser actors, such as those playing Greyworm and Missendai, his lack of talent becomes glaringly obvious. I'm pretty sure the OP is being sarcastic with this thread - because I don't think it is possible to call Dinklage a good actor with a straight face.

Not sure if serious.

Wonky accent aside, Dinklage was pretty solid in season 1 and 2.

The definition of biased is that people who complains the books "drag" too much, says this scene is not that bad. It was endless. And tortuous. It didn't develop shit. It was there just to portray Dinklage's acting and justify his presence because they have completely lost any storyline they can use for him so they turned him, GW and M into the comic relief. You just don't make a whole scene to make a joke: you create a narrative and insert the joke. This add nothing for Tyrion, it was senseless filler which is ironic in a show whose creators always say they didn't have "time" to make the storylines they eventually cut.

6 hours ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

For such a pointless filler scene, I was so charmed by the Tyrion/Grey Worm/Missandei drinking scene in this week. Dinklage just kills everything he does, his little mannerisms and subtle body language is spot on and funny. The Grey Worm and Missandei actors are better because of him but they are good as well.

With so much meat and potatoes and posturing for end game being thrown at us from all directions these little seft-contained scenes are nice and refreshing.

He is great but seriously, D&D have to stop.

The joke in itself was on point and thanks the Gods it's Dinklage who has to tell it, but the scene was pointless, really pointless. Tyrion is bookish and he has never been lazy when given power, not when in charge of the drains, not when Hand, not when Master of Coins. .. so he would never ever spend his days chatting with Greyworm and Melisandre instead of ruling. DInklage was also totally great in the Varys scene (which was barely OK as a scene), the need of giving him an hug after Varys left was strong because of the saddens in his eyes.

As a whole, I was astonished about the Mereen bit, I thought D&D were done with ruining Tyrion's narrative (he had like 2 relevant moments the whole season.. I don't get why D&D made him arrive in Mereen so soon if they didn't know what to do with him... I thought they cut off the other part of the 5° book to make room for more relevant stuff, not for this cr**).

Also, this experience is supposed to be his training-at-ruling and they are making him go the opposite way than GRRM will have him go (I guess).

Side note: they're seriously damaging Peter Dinklage's chances to get his Emmy nom too. The man is great, he always delivers also the most stupid lines, but you can't do miracles.

Spoiler

Really? I was almost tearing my hair out. That scene was waaay too long and accomplished nothing. I don't like Grey Worm nor Missandei and Tyrion is just annoying now. It's on par with cock jokes and Pod's brothel scene.

4 hours ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

Oh man, you guys on this forum are so jaded you can't have ANY fun anymore. I laughed the hardest at this scene when Missandei finally tells her joke, Dinklade has his excited little twitch lol he was excited she had a joke! lol it was really cute. Have some fun people. Of course it's just filler, but try and enjoy it. The low points make the highs and drama that much higher

I completely agree.  Tyrion understands he has cultural differences with those two, but is just trying to get them to lighten up a little.  The joke about the Lord Stark yelling at the fly to cough up his wine had me cracking up.

5 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I was rolling my eyes all along that scene... It is in the top 3 most stupid inconsequent filler cringe pointless horrible dialogue/character development scenes in the whole show.

They have killed so many characters this season and couldnt kill the ones who are the worst. They even tried to make Missandei + Greyworm romance a thing... give me a break.

I was literally thinking about pressing FF.    it could have been far shorter, or at least had something worth while in it.  That was a WASTE of everyones talent, and more importantly screen time.

2 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

I don't think he did anything spectacular with the scene. It was more awkward than funny, but the biggest problem was that it was repeating a scene all over again. Tyrion already had a comic relief scene trying to get GRey Worm and Missandei to have fun. That wasn't particularly funny either, but had the first try advantage. Why play this card again? 

In any case, as lame as that scene was, I still prefer Tyrion telling jokes with Missandei and Grey Worm to Tyrion drinking in the bottom of a ship thinking about where  do whores go. Joining the Meereen gang was the best thing that could have happened to Tyrion after leaving Westeros. 

Sorry, man, but nothing Tyrion does here is remotely as interesting as his interactions with Aegon's crew 

24 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Sorry, man, but nothing Tyrion does here is remotely as interesting as his interactions with Aegon's crew 

agreed.  And I HATED Tyrion's chapters in ADWD.  The show has this weird thing for Grey Worm and Missandei...despite the fact they are totally boring characters who nobody seems to like.  It's different from say a Podrick or a Bronn where it actually makes sense.  

3 hours ago, ummester said:

So they left Bran out for a season, why not leave Tyrion out?

There is a humongous difference between Bran and Tyrion.  Tyrion was the MVP of the show and the most popular character basically in the first couple seasons.  Most people never liked Bran to begin with.  I'm not sure why the show felt the need to cut out Faegon for Tyrion's arc if this was the only replacement they had in mind though.  The weird thing is that Tyrion and Varys tend to be pretty great together, but the show is obsessed with including Grey Worm/Missandei stuff that drags those scenes down.

5 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'd leave the jokes to "Silicon Valley" and "Veep." I was HOWLING with laughter with yesterday's episodes. 

Both those shows have really hit their stride. Veep is amazing. I was never a Seinfeld fan but JLD is just incredible in Veep. Her comedic timing is perfect. In Silicon Valley, the way Thomas Middleditch and TJ Miller play off of each other reminds me of the good old buddy comedy days of Tyrion/Bronn. Such well written shows. 

3 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Not sure if serious.

Wonky accent aside, Dinklage was pretty solid in season 1 and 2.

coz he had a good script.

I'm serious, I think he is a very overrated actor and is definitely no where in the same calibre as some of the really good actors that have been on the show, like Charles Dance, Lena, the guy who played Joffrey, the guy who plays the HS, the lady who played Cat. Dinklage is lucky if he has the same level of acting talent as the Stark kid actors and Dany. 

Well, I am in the minority that overall liked Messendi/Greyworm and both the scenes of conversation with Tyrion.

I find both scenes to be moments for Messendi/Greyworm to find their humanity in being able to relax, joke, and have conversation that is not work related.

I find nearly every scene to be one of people who finding to be what being free means.  It is condensing down some book elements to two characters we have a familiarity with.

51 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Both those shows have really hit their stride. Veep is amazing. I was never a Seinfeld fan but JLD is just incredible in Veep. Her comedic timing is perfect. In Silicon Valley, the way Thomas Middleditch and TJ Miller play off of each other reminds me of the good old buddy comedy days of Tyrion/Bronn. Such well written shows. 

I'm forever amazed that Silicon Valley has all the "oh, shit!" moments, tension and plot progression that GoT has been lacking these last episodes. 

Veep is pretty much Cersei's arc in Feast. I mean, Selina Meyer is more Cersei than Lena Headey's Cersei. And I just want Jonah Ryan on the Iron Throne, with Richard as Hand. 

1 minute ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm forever amazed that Silicon Valley has all the "oh, shit!" moments, tension and plot progression that GoT has been lacking these last episodes. 

Veep is pretty much Cersei's arc in Feast. I mean, Selina Meyer is more Cersei than Lena Headey's Cersei. And I just want Jonah Ryan on the Iron Throne, with Richard as Hand. 

RICHARD! He is slowly becoming my favorite character. Gary would make an excellent Maester Pyclle, uncomfortable gas and all..... :D

3 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

RICHARD! He is slowly becoming my favorite character. Gary would make an excellent Maester Pyclle, uncomfortable gas and all..... :D

Lol! Gary is such a Pycelle, except I don't see him betraying Selina for anything in the world. 

Peter Dinklage is great at smart-ass humor, it's what most of his career was before Game of Thrones, and why I could understand why they cast him, as Dinklage has been playing that kind of character all his career. Best example I can think of off the top of my head is Penelope (2006) where he plays an investigative reporter with a grudge that's played for laughs with a "smart-ass" manner.

I can then also understand why Dinklage jumped at the opportunity to move beyond that constraining character type in GOT when the opportunity in the show presented itself to portray Tyrion differently than in the books. It's hard however to undo that move once it's been played. It's hard to make Tyrion a smart-alec Imp once again after getting the High Septon to sanctify him, and clearly the writers don't want to, and don't know what to do with that kind of direction.

It also doesn't help that Tyrion is clearly playing out Barristan's plot for him. What would likely make sense with Barristan making all these political mistakes, and being "tragically" too old and honorable to adapt to a strange and foreign culture or see the wolves among the sheep, simply makes Tyrion in his situation look like he's taken a bunch of stupid pills by comparison. Trying to shoe Tyrion into a Barristan shaped hole thus makes for a plot which neither serves Tyrion, nor the story as a whole IMO.

The purpose Tyrion has in the books at this point, I'm convinced is to be the Robert of Artois for Dany's Edward III, I.E. he that gets her up off her Meerenese bench moving her butt to take Westeros and the Iron Throne, like Robert of Artois pushed Edward III to invade France (because Robert of Artois was down on his last card on getting his perceived rightful inheritance and pushing for a rival claimant to the throne who might then put him in place, was the only option left). Similarly to Robert of Artois, I don't expect Tyrion to live much longer after serving this final purpose, but to tragically die en route, and within sight of Westeros before the invasion and his desire for revenge against his relations who wronged him can be satiated.

Archived