Are the Others the good guys?

Lucia Targaryen

The Others are the things of nightmares, but why? What do they do that's so terrible? They kill? Are we reading the same books? Yes they kill but they don't steal, or rape, or torture. They turn their victims into wrights? I'd rather be a zombie than a slave. What if the Others are necessary for some kind of balance or are the Gods answer to a world that is too corrupt to be saved? Why should we not root for the Others?  

They are not the good guys. It seems like they was created by the COTF to push humans back , so they basically wants to kill every warm blooded creature . But i think there is still secrets about the Others that will make us look at them different .

19 hours ago, EvanSol919 said:

The Others are the things of nightmares, but why? What do they do that's so terrible? They kill? Are we reading the same books? Yes they kill but they don't steal, or rape, or torture. They turn their victims into wrights? I'd rather be a zombie than a slave. What if the Others are necessary for some kind of balance or are the Gods answer to a world that is too corrupt to be saved? Why should we not root for the Others?  

Hard to take that first bolded part seriously but I guess you can speak for yourself.  We shouldn't root for them because they are klling every human being they can get their hands on and we happen to be human beings.  Simple enough.

22 hours ago, EvanSol919 said:

Everyone is the hero of their own POV. Welcome to the song of moral relativism.

Seriously? You just disappeared into your own asshole. They`ve found a way to role enslaving up into killing and making them a package deal, unless you think the wights somehow have free agency. I guess you`re right about them not stealing....unless you count extortion as a form of stealing, in which case, they totally do. Remember, they`ll spare you if you give them your babies. So, we`ve established that they do kill, enslave, and steal.....And we can`t rule out the possibility that they`re raping those babies that they steal.

So, I don`t know, EvanSol919.... ARE we reading the same books??

Effectively people are going to die because of the consequences of the COTF and the first men. Everyone, poor, rich, babies , lords , peasants.

These people had nothing to do with the ancient wars yet the WW want to kill them all the same so yes evil.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Everyone is the hero of their own POV. Welcome to the song of moral relativism.

Wonderfully put. No doubt, the Others feel just as justified as the Lannisters, Starks and even Freys. That does not, however, make them anything close to the 'good guys'. They kill indiscriminately, and even appeared to mock Royce as they killed him.

Of course, I do not believe them to be on the evil end of the spectrum either. I imagine they have been gravely wronged, which feeds into their current behaviour. 'Antagonist' is the word I would use to describe the Others. They are not good, but nor are they entirely evil. Despite this, they seem likely to threaten most, if not all, of our protagonists, thereby making them the main antagonists of the series.

41 minutes ago, Make Shadowbabies Not War said:

Wonderfully put. No doubt, the Others feel just as justified as the Lannisters, Starks and even Freys. That does not, however, make them anything close to the 'good guys'. They kill indiscriminately, and even appeared to mock Royce as they killed him.

Of course, I do not believe them to be on the evil end of the spectrum either. I imagine they have been gravely wronged, which feeds into their current behaviour. 'Antagonist' is the word I would use to describe the Others. They are not good, but nor are they entirely evil. Despite this, they seem likely to threaten most, if not all, of our protagonists, thereby making them the main antagonists of the series.

I agree but it's all down to semantics. What truely is evil?

We are shown in the books the duality of man's nature, good people do bad things and vise versa. But do we see the WW doing anything "good".

They are evil by our definitions of evil. And the mocking of Royce seems to point to them enjoying what they do.

I don`t think you can call them "Evil" any more than you can call the Terminator evil. Both are omnicidal killbots created to destroy humanity. The Others were created as a weapon to fight humanity, but they`re just a little too good at their job. But they might not have true self-awareness like humans, so they might not have enough free agency to really be called evil.

On 6/13/2016 at 1:29 PM, EvanSol919 said:

You may have made a hypothetical choice between two fantasy character possibilities, but that doesn't change the fact that that others are hte ultimate antagonist in the books. They kill, the dead rise and kill more. that is what they are. Gods and balance are all meaningless 

Archived