Pick the Winner

So we've seen all the main contenders now (unless Portugal spring a major surprise).  Who looks the the most likely to bring home the glory?  It's got to be Germany, right?  They are the only team that seemed entirely composed, played well and scored when they needed too.  France looked good but struggled more to make an impact.  England had flair but didn't gel.  Spain can still pass it around sweetly but didn't create much.  Italy were a pleasant surprise but surely aren't talented enough.  And Belgium were a bit of a lame duck after all the hype.

France and Germany looked kind of bad defensively (especially Germany, holy shit they were lucky). Spain was business as usual, but the Czechs didn't give them a lot of resistance. I want England to win, of course, but I think they will go on the same trajectory as usual and be eliminated in the quarter finals. They just kind of imploded in the second half and aren't consistent or efficient enough to win.

Italy was really the most impressive of the top teams, they are getting the winner's edit.

I quite liked Italy's performance last night. They played to win, were patient enough to wait for their shots and disciplined enough defensively to cancel out some excellent attacking talent.

Germany showed some weakness and struggled to break Ukraine, but it's safe to say they'll get better as the tournament progresses.

English have played very well but failed to convert their chances. If Vardy or Sturridge get a shot and make good use of it, I can honestly say I'd see England as one of the favourites to win.

As it is, I'd say Italy has impressed me the most.

Obviously Wales will win the tournament.

If they happen to get eliminated by the discovery that they come from an imaginary country, I wouldn't count out Belgium yet. If they can gel, it will be hard to get them out. 

11 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

I wouldn't count out Belgium yet. If they can gel, it will be hard to get them out. 

They'll never achieve anything with Wilmots in charge. So boring and unadventurous, he makes Hodgson look like Kevin Keegan.

Italy and Croatia have looked best after the opening matches (so far). 

I must have been watching a different England game than anyone who thought they played well. 

I'm always wrong when I wager, but my heart says France will win it, with little Dimi as their talisman. I mean, he hasn't even done anything with his favored foot yet!

I have to agree that Italy looked the best so far. But the Germans are still strong. Neuer is still crazy good, and Hummels should return soon, so their troubles in the defense may reduce. And France has the talent, they just need better organization. So does Belgium, but I really don't have high hopes for them.

Spain may still impress the likes of my boys, the Czechs, with their style of play, but it's over and done with against the big teams. Netherlands showed them that two years ago.

My picks right now:

1. Germany
  2. France
  3. Italy
  4. Croatia
  5. England :leaving:
  6. Ireland :leaving: the fighting spirit is there, they need more discipline

I will go for Belgium. At this point it's likely they'll become second in the group, meaning they are on the 'easy' side of the knockout phase: Germany, France, Spain, Italy and England all face each other in the semi-finals at the latest, whereas Belgium will be in the half of Croatia, Wales, Poland and Switzerland. As long as they don't do anything stupid, they should have a fairly simple road to the semis, and a good chance at the finals.

I said France before the tournament and I'll stick with them. They haven't been brilliant but they've got matchwinners in the team.

Of course with the draw unexpectedly opening up there's a big chance of a surprise winner. One of the following teams will definitely reach the final: Croatia, Belgium, Wales, Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Austria, Iceland, Hungary, Wales, Turkey, Ireland and Sweden.

5 hours ago, Gylfi Gylfi Gylfi said:

Of course with the draw unexpectedly opening up there's a big chance of a surprise winner. One of the following teams will definitely reach the final: Croatia, Belgium, Wales, Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Austria, Iceland, Hungary, Wales, Turkey, Ireland and Sweden.

Going by the tournament performances thus far: Croatia or maybe Poland (I did not find the Poles to be that great either though). The other teams have either not been fully convincing (Belgium), disappointing (Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey), or lacking overall quality. 

Though, I found the overall level of play not that great, apart from a few teams (Spain, Croatia, Italy and France (to some degree at least). I hope the quality of football increases, when the knock out stage starts. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived