How would you use Wun Wun in battle?

The sad part about this great thread and great ideas is that we've put more thought into this than D&D have.  Wun Wun will not have any giant-sized cool weapons, he won't throw massive boulders or rocks, and he probably won't even swing a giant tree trunk around taking out dozens of men with each swipe.  No, they will not even show him that much, and when they do he'll definitely do some damage, but ultimately die in the most ridiculous way possible, un-used potential and all.

First off, id again like to thank the OP for such a great topic. Ive been talking to my friends all week about this. Most of us agree with my previous post about not using WunWun in the field. But after reconsidering, it may be really hard for a giant to advance and ambush a castle with leagues of open field visibility, on a hill, undetected. So, if that isnt an option, here's my alternative:

Boltons advance charge first, with the same pincer formation used against Stannis. Drawing on the books, Stannis set up camp across a frozen lake opposite Winterfell, and dug holes in the ice as a natural defense. While its true that Jon Snow knows nothing, he does study battle tactics and history, and definitely has the best knowledge of the landscape. With Davos' cunning advice, i see them baiting Bolton forces into a natural trap such as a frozen lake. As Bolton troops charge, they feign a retreat, only displaying a portion of the Stark Army. Trap is triggered, and the Stark forces pick off the remnants of the Boltons first wave. As the second wave comes, probably simultaneously with the side flanks, the stark army regroups and retreats further, hopefully utilizing a Red Priestess buffed wall of fire to slow down the flanks, then counterattack head on. This is when the wildling infantry bulk is utilized and mostly slaughtered by superior training/weapons/numbers, but still effective because of the chaos and confusion in the Boltons forces. 

Frustrated with his lack of a swift, overwhelmingly crushing victory, Ramsay leads the rest of his troops into the field, and thats when Jon, Tormund, Wun Wun enter the field, rally their troops and have an all out brawl. 

I still think the Knights of the Vale arrive at the end of the battle, right before hope is lost, and sweep throug Boltons remnants.

but the absolute BEST use of Wun Wun? Jon challenges Ramsay to single combat to decide the outcome of the battle. With Ramsays arrogant acceptance, Jon elects Wun Wun as his champion. Done and done 

In response to all of the posts that would have Wun Wun as a ranged force...lolwut? Maybe this is just my rpg experience talking, but range attackers are often the less durable troops. Using the aforementioned Avengers metaphor, why put hawkeyes bow and quiver in the hulks hands? The only giant we saw even attempt to use a bow is dead. We have already discussed the logistics and infeasibility of supplying ammo for Wun Wun, but there's been no indication that he would even know how to use one, how good is throwing arm is, or if he'd even agree to the notion of staying out of the frontlines. Plus, if you were on foot facing overwhelming odds against enemies in armor and on horseback, you might find comfort and courage in marching next to a giant.

If there were more giants, more time, and more resources, i would absolutely have a small Giant siege force. But with only 1 its an absolute waste. 

wun wun smash

steel plate and a mace.

infantry charge + wun wun.

just imagine a giant clad in armor wielding a mace twice the size of a normal one (doesn't need to be bigger) swating people like flys. as long as you keep him protected from mounted knights he is very hard to kill. also im putting my self on jon's situation, you can't hold back, you win or you die.

I'd give him a helmet, shield and massive massive axe and let him do his thing. The goal should be to give him enough protection so that he can survive long enough to do major damage. 

Realistically at least some of the Bolton forces should shit themselves and break just seeing him appear on the battlefield.

Giants only really exist in the Northerners stories seeing one actually on a battlefield would do their heads in.

I would definitely have him (Wun Wun) armored and carrying a large blunt object like a tree trunk, but against the Boltons I don't know how well he would do.  Grenn and four other guys took out Mag the Mighty, how well could Wun Wun possibly last against Ramsey's twenty good men?

2 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I would definitely have him (Wun Wun) armored and carrying a large blunt object like a tree trunk, but against the Boltons I don't know how well he would do.  Grenn and four other guys took out Mag the Mighty, how well could Wun Wun possibly last against Ramsey's twenty good men?

About as well as a phalanx of toddlers would do against a football player.

On 6/16/2016 at 8:59 AM, King Louis II (KLII) said:

really?

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/got/gallery6/gallery9/hires/21.jpg

A rock that the size of his hands would open a falanx formation easily. Or will incapacitate 6 people at the same time.

By the way, first cannon balls DID NOT EXPLODE, so they where balls of metal that likked because on the impact. Because they can bounce a little they would keep producing injures. A rock the size of a trash can threw by Wun wun will make massive damage.

So Wun Wun can be a mobile trebutchet, An Assault Tower (to send soldiers inside the walls) and a battering ram (to destroy a gate). Using him as infantry I think it is a waste, and only to be done in a very specific case.

Canon Balls being used in open field combat is illogical and the Battle of the bastard despite being next to the castle of winterfell is an open field battle and not an assault on the castle(at least not until they beat that massive army outside of the castle). Having him as infantry is a much better use for him.  

More on canon balls... they were not used in open battle until the renaissance period because by that time the technology for canons was much more improved then it was during the feudal period in europe. In fact when canon's were first being used widespread many Islamic nations tried to use them against the mongols in open battle and it did absolutely jack squat. They were mostly used in castle assaults because they could damage the integrity of a stone castle but in battle they were really ineffective. 

Somehow hiding him in the woods (we know there are woods near the place where the Boltons defeated Stannis' army), along with Ghost and some good cavalry would probably be the best strategy (apart from using him to place men on WF's wall and take it over mid-battle).

Lure the Boltons to you, create some distance between the Bolton's main army and Ramsay and his retainers who will likely stay back, then rush WunWun, Ghost and your cavalry to Ramsay and the other leaders and take them out. Leaderless, even the superior Bolton army will probably lose morale (especially when they're immediately afterwards attacked in the rear by a giant and a direwolf).

Hey, this is my default Total War (the game) strategy that works everytime (especially in Shogun 2), so why not in GoT? :)

Hold Wun Wun back.  Wun Wun wearing a Burgonet helmet with a long fierce comb died red.  Awesome Gauntlets holding a huge Shield decorated with a grinning skull.  Wun Wun holding a huge heavy Mace that unlike an axe will not get stuck in armour or a body.  To protect his legs some Greaves so he can be more mobile.  If the northern troops get surrounded THEN send Wun Wun in for close combat.  He would be like a bowling ball hitting a strike every time the mace is swung.    Seeing Wun Wun charging and screaming? And swinging a huge mace?  Bolton troops would flee. 

That's my fantasy attack.  

Archived