Match Day 5: Austria vs Hungry, Portugal vs Iceland

There will be only two matches today.

First the mighty Austrians taking on probably the biggest underdog of this tournament, Hungry. Will the Austrians live up to the hype or are they overrated? Can Hungry defy the odds and surprise us? Personally, I think it's Austria's game to lose, they have the better players and the better team. But I don't really think they have a lot of longevity in the tournament overall, they're just too inexperienced at this level. I don't really have high expectations for Hungry and would be surprised to see them score a point in this group.

In the second match of the day regular title-contendor Portugal will take on newbie Iceland. Will Portugal's ambitions carry the day or can Iceland continue their surprising rise to the top? I'd give Portugal the advantage here, and I think they will go far but fall short, as usual. It's unclear how Iceland will do, on paper they probably shouldn't even be here, but they've been playing better and better in the last couple of years and who knows, they may get to the knockout-stage with this format.

Portugal and Iceland are both teams pretty much built around letting one player do what they like in attack, from what I can tell. Can see Gylfi carrying it based on Iceland being a little to the defensive and team co-ordination needed around them, but we'll see.

Austria should definitely be winning the Archie Duke derby.

It's almost time for the big one - Portugal v Iceland. The mighty Polar Bears (that's a nickname I just came up with) are going to destroy the one-man team that is Portugal. Cristiano Ronaldo stands no chance against the Four Norsemen of the Apocalypse (and their seven mates).

2-1 to Iceland. Gylfi Sigurdsson free-kick. Actually make that two Gylfi Sigurdsson free-kicks.

Lars Lagerback's a legend. To think that Scotland turned him down for Craig Levein.

1 hour ago, StefCurry said:

I will definitely support the Portugal national team in this game, looks like a good team this time. Finally one of my favorite players Quaresma in good physical form to the European Championship!

I hate to break it to you but he's a big injury doubt.

Lest we all forget (and most things are easy to forget, as long as the sorrow of Belgium unjustly losing out to the cheating cheaters who cheat), this guy plays for Portugal.

Let us therefore hope and pray that Portugal are beaten, humiliated and sent home in shame at the earliest possible opportunity. Amen.

Archived