Favorite Kingsguard

UFT

On 6/16/2016 at 1:35 AM, Trigger Warning said:

Jaime, he put saving thousands of lives above his own honour and duty when it mattered. 

exactly thats why hes  my fav kingsguard as well him and duncan 

I also love barristan the bold but i cant get over the fact that he let the Mad king burn and strangle people while he just stood by

I have not read the Dunk and Egg stories yet, so I can't comment on Duncan. From the time of the main novels, it's either Barristan or Jamie. If the question was about the best kingsguard my answer would be Barristan, he's the perfect kingsguard. The problem with Barristan is that he is too perfect. He even realizes that himself at the end of ADWD when he thinks about how Rhaegar would have been king if he had not saved Aerys from Duskendale.

My favourite kingsguard knight is Jaime for that reason. When he learns about Aerys raping his wife, he realizes that it's wrong, and that he should intervene, while the other kingsguard knights stand there doing nothing because of their oaths, and keep Jaime back. And when Jaime learns about the plan to burn the entire city, he slays the king and the alchemists involved in the plot, probably saving over a hundred thousand lives. He doesn't let his oaths stand in the way of doing the right thing, and that puts him above all the others who served as kingsguard under Aerys. Don't get me wrong, Jaime is a very flawed person, and a very conflicted one. But the kingslaying was one of the greatest deeds ever done in the history of Westeros, and the contempt he receives for it is completely undeserved. However, I think he would have been better off as heir to Casterly Rock afterwards, but he wanted to stay close to Cersei (just like almost all of his worst decisions are influenced by his love for Cersei).

1 hour ago, Knight of Onions said:

it's either Barristan or Jamie. If the question was about the best kingsguard my answer would be Barristan, he's the perfect kingsguard. The problem with Barristan is that he is too perfect. He even realizes that himself at the end of ADWD when he thinks about how Rhaegar would have been king if he had not saved Aerys from Duskendale.

My favourite kingsguard knight is Jaime for that reason. When he learns about Aerys raping his wife, he realizes that it's wrong, and that he should intervene, while the other kingsguard knights stand there doing nothing because of their oaths, and keep Jaime back. And when Jaime learns about the plan to burn the entire city, he slays the king and the alchemists involved in the plot, probably saving over a hundred thousand lives. He doesn't let his oaths stand in the way of doing the right thing, and that puts him above all the others who served as kingsguard under Aerys. Don't get me wrong, Jaime is a very flawed person, and a very conflicted one. But the kingslaying was one of the greatest deeds ever done in the history of Westeros, and the contempt he receives for it is completely undeserved. However, I think he would have been better off as heir to Casterly Rock afterwards, but he wanted to stay close to Cersei (just like almost all of his worst decisions are influenced by his love for Cersei).

THIS 

couldn't have put it better myself

4 hours ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

There's probably no way for Darkstar and Swann both to make it out, is there.

Well, since arianne is in the Storm Lands im not entirely sure Hoath is not involved since we lack of more povs.

It would be a shame for any of the two to go offscreen.

One on one I think Swann wins.

16 hours ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

Probably. But from what is written, he is far more skiled than dorkstar. Lets see how this plays out.

Doubtful that he is more skilled than Darkstar. Likely Darkstar will have taken Dawn thus placing Swann at a greater disadvantage.

Archived