Most annoying character

Red Ronnet (yum)

On 17/6/2016 at 2:21 AM, Elisabetta Duò said:

I don't know if 'annoying' is truly the right word, but to me it's also Catelyn Tully (unpopular choice, probably) 

She thought herself cleverer and more wise than she was, she treated child Jon bably, she gave Eddard the wrong advice when he was hesitant to go to KL as the Hand, she was blinded by the 'family' bit in the Tully motto and believed any lie LF fed her through Lysa or directly, started a total mess implanting in Eddard the idea that the Lannisters were behind Jon Arryn's death and kidnapping Tyrion, she made the wrong decision leaving Bran and Rickon and following Robb, she gave Robb a couple of good advices but as a whole was not a good adviser, was a terrible negotiator and was naive about the 'guest protetction'. She was a strong woman and she loved her family, I concede that, but I found the way she behaved annoying. 

On 17/6/2016 at 9:21 PM, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

Catelyn to me is beyond annoying. As if her idiocy and ignorance wasn´t bad enough already, her over the top arrogance seals it for me. Cersei is a close second, I actually think they´re very similar in some ways.

I think Edmure gets a bad wrap, he´s a genuinely nice guy and perfectly suited as the Tully/Stark punching bag. The battle of the fords is Robbs fault, Edmure is merely a scapegoat. He never gets a chance or any respect, and Catelyns dismissive attitude towards him propably has a lot to do with it.

:agree:

Apart from Cat, the character which annoys me tremendously is Areo Hotah.

I understand his importance in the narrative, he is a bodyguard, his life revolves around the wellbeing and protection of the Martells.

In comparison to the westerosi KG knights, including Jaime, Barristan and Arys, Areo fares much better. He is not a knight, he is not ambitious, he has no honour, he is driven by no desire, no passion. 

He is fond of Arianne but this does not prevent him from being devoted to Doran.

He doesn't seem to have any strong religious or political beliefs and he is essentially a weapon aimed by Doran.

His POV annoyed me, seemed so boring, pointless, obnoxious. 

I forgot to add the Tyrells.

Mainly Margaery and Olenna.

Olenna constantly bickers and insults people while Margaery adopts an angelic persona and both of them believe that they can play the game, they can win and remain unscathed. The truth is that they played, they won but they will not remain unscathed. It takes more that a few smiles and kittens to establish a dynasty. 

On 9/5/2016 at 9:01 AM, Lame Lothar Frey said:

:agree:

Most annoying character to me is Jon Snow.  He's dull.  I started to dislike him from his first chapter in A Game of Thrones and never liked him from that point on.  He's prickly, just waiting to snap at somebody. 

Yup, Jon annoys me too.  I can't stand his chapters.  Samwell made it tolerable at times but when he left, it was all Jon.  

On 6 september 2016 at 6:03 AM, Ser Belwas The Strong said:

Yes, can't argue with that.

And of course, there is also a little fellow named Samwell Tarly, Strong Belwas does not like the weak.

My problem with Sam is his nauseating relationship with Gilly (so gross! shudder!) but I have to argue that he is not weak. A weak person would crumble before a white walker but Sammy killed it. It speaks for itself.

It's easier to list who's not annoying. They're in the minority. Martin really has a problem writing characters without making them irritating.

Who's not annoying: Jon, Melisandre, Margaery, Davos, Barristan Selmy, Dolorous Edd and Varys.

That's about it. The rest grates on my nerves to varying degrees.

The biggest culprits are Daenerys, Cersei and Sansa. Hypocrisy, arrogance and entitlement are the worst personality traits imo.

Then it's Catelyn, Ygritte, all the Greyjoys and Martells.

Characters like Brienne and Bran just bore me, boring is different from being annoying.. 

For me it's clearly Brienne. Oh my God, I hate that B***. She is in my Opinion the most boring and two dimensional character ever created, not only in ASoIaF, but every book I have ever read. When I read the books, and a Brienne Chapter "apeared", I had to force myself to read and not skip it. Although you can easily skip her Chapters wothout missing the story. God I hate her sooooo much :)  

Followed by her, but not comparable to her: Sansa, Cat, Quentin, Arya. 

On 9/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, John Doe said:

Lol no she isn't. 

What is it with Stannis fans? They get so angry whenever someone doesn't praise the man. He was a brittle man who longed to be what Robert was and didn't understand why people loathed him. So he continually surrounded himself with people that would never endear him to those he wanted to make alliances with or rule over. He even let them dictate what and who he should go after....and that was Mel and her foreign God.

Archived