How did Arthur Dayne perish?

Vvornth

1) Eddard had something important to fight for...something that would motivate him more than the duty that motivates the kingsguard: His sister. Just as soldiers fighting to defend their home will fight harder and give more to the fight than those attacking (or sellswords for that matter), Eddard's passion to protect his sister could have given him the edge to win over an exceptional swordsman.

2) LUCK.

3) A combination of the above 2 circumstances and as yet revealed circumstances that will eventually be revealed (hopefully) shedding more light on the mystery.

If the show down at the TofJ finishes up with Ser Arthur facing Ned and Howland Reed, then surely it can be assumed that all three have sustained wounds in the fight that has killed two members of the Kingsguard and 5 of Ned's companions. A wounded knight facing two competent opponents, even ones carrying injuries of their own, would be a severe disadvantage. You can’t watch your own back.

It may even be that Dayne thought Howland Reed was dead and so unaware of him when he intervened to save Ned. As with so much, we’ll not know till HR shows his face.

I haven't checked this thread in awhile, so I had to read up on a bunch of stuff...this however caught my attention. Got any newspaper articles or websites that document this? 430 lb benches for people in highschool is approaching world record bench levels. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but I am a skeptic at heart. By the way, during medievel periods knights did not have access to HGH or steroids, thus comparing your friend's hypothetical bench to Jaime Lannister's strength is sort of pointless.

I knew some strong ass people in highschool but their benches were nowhere near 430 in highschool. Three plates and some change was the max in my highschool and even those guys were gassing it super hard, and once again, Jaime doesn't do steroids.

Well, I know nothing about world records when it comes to weight lifting, but I am a 170-ish pound woman who can leg press 390 KILOGRAMS. Repeatedly (sets with 10-15 reps, minimum).

For the record, I am very strong but trust me, I have *NICE* feminine legs. Love the skinny jeans!

The point is that people can have surprising strength!

If the show down at the TofJ finishes up with Ser Arthur facing Ned and Howland Reed, then surely it can be assumed that all three have sustained wounds in the fight that has killed two members of the Kingsguard and 5 of Ned's companions. A wounded knight facing two competent opponents, even ones carrying injuries of their own, would be a severe disadvantage. You can’t watch your own back.

I think this is the most likely scenario rather than some fancy stuff with a neat or even worse, warging into Arthur to distract him which seems far to over the top to be Martin. Most likely it came down to 2 vs 1 and with that disadvantage Dayne was eventually defeated and killed.

This is one of the best questions of the series. We don't know much other than Howland Reed somehow played a part in it. Reed fighting seems too random, and I can't imagine him "backstabbing" Dayne either while he fought Ned. The desperate "warg" maneuver seems more likely, although if it happened there is not much evidence to indicate if Ned understood what happened or if there was any permenant effect on Reed.

I cannot, cannot wait until we get a proper Tower of Joy flashback.

I think this is the most likely scenario rather than some fancy stuff with a neat or even worse, warging into Arthur to distract him which seems far to over the top to be Martin. Most likely it came down to 2 vs 1 and with that disadvantage Dayne was eventually defeated and killed.

no way anyone warged into arthur dayne. Even the most competent wargs have trouble doing it..and none of the crannogmen that we know of have the ability. If someone was good enough to do it to arthur..surely they would of made a better choice then Bran for whatever was coming.

Ned cut him down, Reed helped, most likely with long spear or net on the fringe of sword range. Poison blow dart also a possibility, Jaimie's recollection of Dayne and the Smiling Knight suggests a fight may last long enough for poison to become a factor. Ned's men believed he killed Dayne in single combat, I doubt the single combat part came from Ned and I doubt he really told anyone in much detail what happened as he's not one to boast at the best of times let alone about how he killed a man both he and realm highly respects, but if he'd not atleast fought and landed the final blow against Dayne I'd assume he would have the grace to stop people circulating that story.

Archived