Match Day 6: Slovakia/Russia, Romania/Switzerland, France/Albania

24 minutes ago, Bjornbert said:

Ok, Romania should get one of the quallifying third places. Which would put them against... Germany

Switzerland might still come in third. If they lose against France and Romania wins, Romania will probably come in 2nd. I think that's the most likely scenario.

I'm disappointed by the result, Switzerland played really well and deserved to win, but Lichtsteiner was just extremely stupid.

32 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Switzerland might still come in third. If they lose against France and Romania wins, Romania will probably come in 2nd. I think that's the most likely scenario.

I'm disappointed by the result, Switzerland played really well and deserved to win, but Lichtsteiner was just extremely stupid.

It was a calculated risk, given how many times Lichtsteiner fouls in the box and gets away with it and in the long run benefits his sides.

Switzerland are clearly still a good striker away from being a competitive team in the knockout rounds.

The Children of the Eagle have built a dam, now Albania will produce hydroelectricity from French tears. The Eagle has two heads, tonight we'll see it's lucky one.

Has Koscielny had an allergic reaction to something there? His eyes looked absolutely horrendous at the end, or was that just me?

Anyway, Albania playing brilliantly and France's masterplan of dropping Pogba and Griezmann not looking so hot.

The commentators are probably right, Payet should be on the left.

Albania were excellent in that half. They are a very well organised team, defended well and even managed to create a few chances of their own. France's delivery in the final third has been woeful. That ballsy move by Deschamps has not worked out. Both Griezmann and Pogba were warming up just before halftime, so Deschamps will probably make the subs at halftime or shortly after.

Pogba really needs to think about changing his boots. I mean the surface was obviously quite poor and a few players struggled, but he fell over almost every time he got near the ball. Even making that brilliant pass at the end.

I think maybe rather than shifting Payet central to play Koman, Deschamps needs to bring in Cabaye in the middle to take some of the passing load off him.

Albania played excellent, but it was coming. They were just getting more and more tired.

18 minutes ago, Les Diables Rouges said:

Another well taken goal by Payet. He's the main man for France. Will be a bit surprised if he is still at West Ham next season.

Not sure why he'd want to leave, or where he would go, but, if he does leave, I'm sure it will be for a shit-ton of cash, so it would probably be okay for West Ham long term.  Personally, I wouldn't sell him. I'd trade him straight-up for Messi, maybe. 

1 minute ago, Fuchs, himself! said:

Not sure why he'd want to leave

At his age, it would be his last chance for a really big move, and right now, it could be a really big move. No disrespect to West Ham, but bigger clubs will be interested for sure.

Arriving here late. Loved the Russia-Slovakia game. Thought the second game was pedtrian. The France-Albania game was mostly a snore. Can't have it all, though. The Hamsik goal earlier will probably not be surpassed in the tournament. It was quiite spectacular.

The French are pretty lucky to get such late winners in both games, but I'm glad to see the attacking team rewarded.  Albania and Romania both played well to try to nullify a more talented opposition, but I don't want more incentive for defensive play (Italy provides enough encouragement as it is). 

The French need to find a better rhythm in their team quickly.  And Payet, despite a very good late goal, was easily crowded out for a long period as France predictably sent every attack through him.  He was too willing to walk into the crowd and then reluctantly back up and make a poor pass/cross too late.  

13 minutes ago, Immobile Buffon said:

The French are pretty lucky to get such late winners in both games, but I'm glad to see the attacking team rewarded.  Albania and Romania both played well to try to nullify a more talented opposition, but I don't want more incentive for defensive play (Italy provides enough encouragement as it is). 

The French need to find a better rhythm in their team quickly.  And Payet, despite a very good late goal, was easily crowded out for a long period as France predictably sent every attack through him.  He was too willing to walk into the crowd and then reluctantly back up and make a poor pass/cross too late.  

I'm not sure it's their rhythm that's at issue, but their lack of creativity. They've been methodical, but lacked spark or adaptability. It's hard to believe this is the same side from the last World Cup. That side didn't have to plug on relentlessly in order to get goals.

2 hours ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

At his age, it would be his last chance for a really big move, and right now, it could be a really big move. No disrespect to West Ham, but bigger clubs will be interested for sure.

Yeah, I do see how the chance to play out his final seasons at a really top club would be an attractive proposition.  But I could also see him wanting to stay at West Ham. He's on £125k/week for another five seasons (despite the fact that he's turning 30 next season), he's idolized by the fans, and he is allowed almost total freedom tactically.  And he's got a decent team around him, too, and one that appears to be moving forward.  He might be old enough to know that he won't see nearly so much of the ball at some of the bigger clubs.  Anyway, as you say, there will definitely be some interest from clubs with bigger reputations and more money, unless France go far into the tournament and he's a total bum from now until then.  I wonder if Bilic is texting him to dial it back a little after today?

Archived