[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

Was Brienne telling "Fuck Loyalty. The war in the North is more important" not important in Jaime's decision finally leaving his sister (fuck loyalty to his sister) and going North (the war)? 

9 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Was Brienne telling "Fuck Loyalty. The war in the North is more important" not important in Jaime's decision finally leaving his sister (fuck loyalty to his sister) and going North (the war)? 

I think it was. I've rewatched the scene and he is a little concerned, he tells Brienne "Tell her what"?

And h is also bothered by the fact that it is nice to see her, but he knows the next time will be in the battlefield, which he clearly didn't want.

Then we see that he has spoken to Cersei offscreen. So I think that, apart from the wight, he talked to Cersei because of what Brienne said to him. He appealed to something even more greater than their oaths, and normally, Brienne just speaking of oaths makes a change in Jaime.

1 hour ago, myth-taken said:

I've only read a couple of interviews with Nikolaj and he seems really against Brienne/Jaime as a couple and very into Tormund/Brienne. I just hope that if the show leans towards the latter, it doesn't ignore the friendship between J/B. 

No he is a JB fan, he changed his answers only lately and I can't blame him, given Jaime's season 7. I think Brienne deserves better than season7-Jaime. He said he had to ask many questions about jaime this season, as @Meera of Tarth told you in her previous post.

As for "I don't believe you", I don't think it's like Nik said in the interview. I think they wanted to left something open, for Cersei. A chance to change idea and be the good queen. I hope he's right, though.

33 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I hope it is. But they could have hinted at it, at least!  so many wasted opportunities ...

10 minutes ago, Cridefea said:

No he is a JB fan, he changed his answers only lately and I can't blame him, given Jaime's season 7. I think Brienne deserves better than season7-Jaime. He said he had to ask many questions about jaime this season, as @Meera of Tarth told you in her previous post.

As for "I don't believe you", I don't think it's like Nik said in the interview. I think they wanted to left something open, for Cersei. A chance to change idea and be the good queen. I hope he's right, though.

At first I also thought the same, however on a second rewatch, Now I think that he'll go North and realise that Brienne is more important to him than Cersei. Whatever they left open, if he returns to KL he'll not see her that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

No, he is not against JB at all. His ideal endgame is about dying of old age with lots of children from Brienne, or confessing his love to her.

Sometimes, he is cautious when it comes to JB, because he doesn't want to disappoint the fans if it doesn't happen and he acknowledges that the showrunners have played so much with the twincest that even him has no idea what it is about. He didn't know how to exactly play Jaime this season.  I mean, it's true that Jaime is so messed up,  but it's also obvious that Jaime won't return to Cersei in the books to play the part of Jaime in s6 and s7 as a puppet lover like in the show.

As for Tormund and Brienne, he just makes jokes about them. Tormund's crush for Bienne was not even in the script last season, and now they use him as kind of Ser Hyle's replacement.

In this thread we have lots of interviews and we have analysed them if you wish to read them.

Ok, thanks. I will definitely have a read when I get a chance. Like I said, I've only read a couple of interviews with him and in the last one he said he didn't think that J/B share a romantic love/attraction and that Brienne should be with Tormund. It's was an interview I saw on Yahoo though, so maybe I shouldn't trust it ^_^

22 minutes ago, Cridefea said:

I agree. I love Brienne and although I don't care for her with Tormund, I also wouldn't wish S7 Jaime on her. I'm hoping his time away with Cersei will really improve him.

58 minutes ago, myth-taken said:

Ok, thanks. I will definitely have a read when I get a chance. Like I said, I've only read a couple of interviews with him and in the last one he said he didn't think that J/B share a romantic love/attraction and that Brienne should be with Tormund. It's was an interview I saw on Yahoo though, so maybe I shouldn't trust it ^_^

Yes, he changes his mind depending on the mood and the script. But if you see the previous pages, he definitley ships them. 

Gwen's interview:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/arts/television/game-of-thrones-finale-brienne-interview.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/GzxjA2s2Ss

That’s the crux of her argument with Jaime Lannister.

Why will he not give everything to overcome that? Brienne is ... not heartbroken, but incredibly shocked and hurt, and that hurt makes her question the relationship and what it really means to her. Jaime sort of treats her like she’s a stranger, and fobs her off. It’s incredibly tense. Their past trust and mutual respect just seems to be meaningless. They have had this complex relationship which really can’t be defined, so it’s a really fascinating setup to move forward, for where we will go in the final season. I think although he treats her fairly coldly, what we’ve seen with Jaime Lannister is that he might respond badly to something, particularly with Brienne, but then he takes the time to reflect and think about it, and he’s sort of brought back.

When Brienne and Jaime are together, something incredibly magnetic seems to occur. Last season, there was that scene where she tries to persuade him to allow her to speak to the Blackfish, and she’s able to communicate and negotiate with him, and be heard by him in a way that doesn’t really exist between many of the other male and female characters. In a way that’s not about manipulation, but is positive. So I’m endlessly fascinated by their dynamic. I really am.

That's exactly what we saw,l and I also think something happens when they meet, always. So he needs a dose of Brienne away from Cersei to become the real Jaime. He's going North, that's good.

About Tormund:

And then there’s the dynamic with Tormund, which delights a lot of fans. He recently announced his desire to procreate with Brienne,despite the fact that she does not seem to reciprocate his affections, at all.

[Laughs] Yeah! Do you think she actually likes him? I don’t think it’s something Brienne wants! Tormund is quite a rough and ready man. He’s a man who’s bragged about having sexual intercourse with a bear, and so I question whether that is necessarily the right person for Brienne. Does that man display enough sensitivity? What do you think Tormund would have to come up with to win her heart?

28 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

I thought NKW said there definitely was physical attraction with JB though?

probably, maybe an older interview. I recall he said that there is love there. And when he gives her that sword, it's his heart that is hers.

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, he changes his mind depending on the mood and the script. But if you see the previous pages, he definitley ships them. 

I actually just realised that I read the interview you linked to earlier. It was quotes like "I’m so rooting for Tormund Giantsbane and Brienne of Tarth to become a couple. She needs to go with someone who wants her instead of always … the Jaime-Brienne thing was never going to happen. He’s too messed up. She should go with Tormund because he is so in love with her" and "I don’t think she ever wanted [Jaime]. I think that she liked him and they respected each other, but I don’t think she’s ever looked at Jaime the way Tormund looks at her. There’s never been that kind of beautiful lustful relationship between Jaime and Brienne. It’s been more like an emotional connection. I don’t see it happening.".

That made me think he's very anti-J/B. I'll trust what you say about the mood and scripts though. The scripts for S7 definitely didn't make Jaime someone worthy of Brienne.

28 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

They are headed in the same direction. It would be/will be if it happens, if Tormund makes it back to Winterfell and starts flirting with Brienne in front of Jaime. Just curious.

Oh, I had not noticed it might happen! It's a good way to resume their relationship.

NCW was probably saying he shipped Brienne and Tormund for Gwendoline Christie's benefit. In all of the interviews they did together, it seemed like he was trying to annoy Christie more than anything else, because she ships JB. Also, NCW had insisted that Jon Snow was dead too, so I think he is just being evasive.

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Makes for some funny scene. Add the Hound "she is too much for you" humor. Could be fun.

I've been pushing for a Jaime Tormund faceoff, like the one between Brienne and Cersei in season 4. Hope somebody in the writing department is listening :)

2 hours ago, myth-taken said:

I actually just realised that I read the interview you linked to earlier. It was quotes like "I’m so rooting for Tormund Giantsbane and Brienne of Tarth to become a couple. She needs to go with someone who wants her instead of always … the Jaime-Brienne thing was never going to happen. He’s too messed up. She should go with Tormund because he is so in love with her" and "I don’t think she ever wanted [Jaime]. I think that she liked him and they respected each other, but I don’t think she’s ever looked at Jaime the way Tormund looks at her. There’s never been that kind of beautiful lustful relationship between Jaime and Brienne. It’s been more like an emotional connection. I don’t see it happening.".

That made me think he's very anti-J/B. I'll trust what you say about the mood and scripts though. The scripts for S7 definitely didn't make Jaime someone worthy of Brienne.

There are many interviews in this thread. He was clear about it even in the 6x08 commentary : 

Spoiler

Mark: I love that line. ["It's yours. It will always be yours."]

Essie: Awwhh [kind of moans haha]
[Mark and Essie laugh]

Essie: He loves her.

Nik: My heart...

Mark: He's talking about his heart, you know? [laughs, totally fangirling]

Nik: Yeah, yeah...of course he is [in a wistful voice].

Essie: What about his sister?
[Mark Mylod laughs]

Nik: That's...I don't know what that is anymore.
[Mark laughs]

Essie: [after "Let's hope it doesn't come to that"] Ah, that was a beautiful moment. 

Nik: Yeah.

Mark: I give a shout out to [sorry can't quite get the name]. I thought the way he managed to keep the light direction...within the...you know, within a red RedShelterofUnresolvedFeelings was incredibly skillful. It was so beautifully done.

Nik: Do you know that thing with Cersei -- you asked me about that relationship...do you know when you hear about couples that have been together forever and they are fighting and they are -- or, you know, you hear about women who's been in abusive relationships. There's something about the dynamic takes over, and suddenly you can't -- there is no other way. 

Mark: Yeah, the dye is set.

Nik: Yeah, and I think it's a little bit like that with them.
[Mark agrees]

Essie: And this is a completely new world for Jaime with...

Nik: Oh yeah, with Brienne.

and here some interviews: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thjQM7SBHDE

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/arts/television/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-jaime-lannister-interview.html?_r=0

And obviously right now I can't find them anymore XD XD but they exist.

He used to talk about TB in a sarcastic way, probably now he's more careful.

Archived