[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

On 10/12/2017 at 6:11 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Newstar said that Rory is not attractive enough to portray Sansa's prince.

But hers is a Beauty and the Beast story, just like the one from this thread, Jaime and Brienne. George really likes writing this type of stories.  The BatB hints

LOL! A handsome Beast!

But again, yeah, he's playing the Beast. Just like Gwen is playing the Beast (in terms of appearance). And Beauty and the Beast is a romance where they realize their feelings for each other during the separation period. Then they come together in the end.

That's the classic structure. He's got a lot of parallels for both pairs in the books, and there are a bunch on the show, too. Here...

8 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

There is a difference between having beauty and the beast parallels and showing a romance. 

I am sorry, but I have watched season 2 several times and I never saw anything romantic. I saw nods to Beauty and the Beast, but nothing more than that.

Well, I could say the same for Jonerys, so I suppose when it happens viewers will have to adapt. Even if I can agree that it is not the most hinted romance in the show, we will have to agree to disagree.

21 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Well, I could say the same for Jonerys, so I suppose when it happens viewers will have to adapt. Even if I can agree that it is not the most hinted romance in the show, we will have to agree to disagree.

Dany and Jon had sex and were eye f*ing each other for 4 episodes. Hard to have a clearer indication of a relationship than that. 

Sansan was just little nods to Beauty and the Beast without any indication Sansa in universe was in any way interested in Sandor romantically. 

Maybe it happens in Season 8. Those parrallels are certainly enough to convince me its possibile. But if it doesn’t I also would not say wow can’t believe they built up this thread and didn’t deliver on it. 

22 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

But again, yeah, he's playing the Beast. Just like Brienne is playing the Beast (in terms of appearance).

And Beauty and the Beast is a romance where they realize their feelings for each other during the separation period. Then they come together in the end. That's the classic structure. He's got a lot of parallels for both pairs in the books, and there are a bunch on the show, too. Here...

Yeah, and back on topic, I think that with the long episodes we will have plenty of time to see how Jaime (and also Sansa) react when they see their "beasts" in Winterfell after that time being separated. Sandor will realise that his bird has grown up.

I remember Nik saying in s6 that in the tent there was no time for private Jaime and Brienne but now when they will be together in WF they'll have time before the Others arrive. I'd like to think there will be some approach during the night. And I think we will see, prior to that, some jealousy (Jaime being jealous of Tormund because he is taking the initiave) and he'll do something :o

19 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

@jcmontea we will have to watch and see next season.  AT this moment,  we can agree to disagree. Thanks for having read the parallels posted before and considering it a possibility. Now we can go back on topic ;)

Yea totally. I have shifted from gross no way to gross but there certainly are indications it could happen that cannot be denied. 

To get back on topic I could totally see Jaime and Brienne consumating their relationship. Jaime can’t die with Cersei being the only person he slept with. 

36 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

To get back on topic I could totally see Jaime and Brienne consumating their relationship.

For all the oft-remarked-upon sexual tension, I can't actually see Jaime and Brienne banging. I can't even see them kissing. Not to say it won't happen--although I have my doubts for the reasons I've said--but if it does, it's going to be weird.

Jaime can’t die with Cersei being the only person he slept with. 

Why not? In the grand scale of cosmic GOT injustices, Jaime only getting to sleep with Cersei wouldn't crack the top 1,000.

12 minutes ago, Newstar said:

For all the oft-remarked-upon sexual tension, I can't actually see Jaime and Brienne banging. I can't even see them kissing. Not to say it won't happen--although I have my doubts for the reasons I've said--but if it does, it's going to be weird.

Those are good points. It would be weird to actually see them hook up. If they go that route I don’t want to see it. And if they go SanSan I definetly don’t want to see that sex scene. :ack: Beauty and the Beast relationships are best if we don’t see the consumation. 

6 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Those are good points. It would be weird to actually see them hook up. If they go that route I don’t want to see it. And if they go SanSan I definetly don’t want to see that sex scene. 

Yeah, I can't see TV SanSan happening either. And when I say "I can't see it" with Jaime/Brienne and Sandor/Sansa, I mean not that it seems highly unlikely (although it does), but that I can't even visualize what it would look like. Can you picture Jaime and Brienne having a sex scene, or even making out? Because I sure can't. I can't even picture Sandor and Sansa kissing, even though Sansa has kissed a variety of disgusting guys over the course of the show.

15 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Why not? In the grand scale of cosmic GOT injustices, Jaime only getting to sleep with Cersei wouldn't crack the top 1,000.

I meant that more as a joke. Definetly no reason it couldn’t be this way. 

Although it would make it more tragic when Cersei kills him if he had moved on to such a degree he had already started a relationship with Brienne. 

Just now, Newstar said:

Yeah, I can't see TV SanSan happening either. And when I say "I can't see it" with Jaime/Brienne and Sandor/Sansa, I mean not that it seems highly unlikely (although it does), but that I can't even visualize what it would look like. Can you picture Jaime and Brienne having a sex scene, or even making out? Because I sure can't. 

I really can’t. There is nothing sexy about Brienne.

6 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Although it would make it more tragic when Cersei kills him if he had moved on to such a degree he had already started a relationship with Brienne. 

No, I agree, which is why I think that Jaime/Brienne shipping is awfully cruel unless you hate Brienne so much you think she deserves to find love for a millisecond only to lose the man she loves to a horrible, untimely death she is helpless to prevent (as with Renly), or you hate Jaime so much that you think he deserves to experience a healthy, respectful romantic relationship for a millisecond only to have it ripped away when he dies because of Cersei.

I really can’t. There is nothing sexy about Brienne.

Agreed.

Just now, jcmontea said:

To get back on topic I could totally see Jaime and Brienne consumating their relationship. Jaime can’t die with Cersei being the only person he slept with. 

Yeah, I think it will happen in episode 3 or 4. They have already seen rachother naked.

On 10/10/2017 at 3:03 PM, Newstar said:

Ultimately, karma's a bitch, and Jaime has racked up some very bad karma. People who think he's going to get to waltz into the sunset with Brienne are kidding themselves.

While I'm confident Brienne will outlive Jaime, I'm less certain she'll survive the series. 

I've always felt that Jaime's so-called redemption arc is bullshit, and it's been clearly telegraphed in the show that Cersei will be the end of him. Dying with Cersei is a foregone conclusion at this point.

i don't think jaime's redemption arc is "bullshit" per say. but it always sort of mystifies me that so many people just interpret his character trajectory after ASOS/season 3 as " jaime is a HERO now". like what??? that's such a basic and almost childish interpretation. just because he wants to not be a POS who only wants to fight and fuck his sister doesn't make him an angel all of a sudden. the funny thing is that show jaime was still that person to a great extent till season 7 but then since he left cersei people pretended that he hadn't been like the worst written character along with sansa from season 4 onwards lol. the amount of "show jaime has such an amazing character arc and growth" threads i've seen on reddit confuse the fuck out of me

13 hours ago, Newstar said:

Heh. With the two lead characters now romantically involved with each other (and plenty of drama promised, in between Jon's superior claim to the throne, Jon and Dany being aunt and nephew, Jon's BFF's family members being burned alive by Dany, blah blah blah), I doubt a bunch of other characters will suddenly start hooking up. I've seen posters claim that in Season 8, Sandor/Sansa, Jaime/Brienne, Bran/Meera and Arya/Gendry will all happen. LOL, no. 

The show has always been pretty sparse on romance compared to the books, and I don't expect that to change. Even Grey Worm and Missandei have maybe one scene per season to remind us that they're in love, LOL. I think that if D&D had their way, they'd write out the romances altogether and focus on male/male friendships, which they seem to enjoy writing much more (Jaime/Bronn, Tyrion/Varys, Jon/Davos, wight hunt banter, etc.). It may explain why the writing for Jon/Dany in Season 7 felt so...perfunctory. D&D were probably all "GRRM said Jon and Dany's romance was critical to the endgame, but do we have to? Ugh, fine."

yeah thats a really good way of putting it. CW romances are better written that jonerys was in season 7. 

8 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Lol. Dave and Dan love their bro talk. 

I actually think Jon and Dany was done well. Certainly better than Rob and Talisa where Robb was just infatuated with her from the get go because she was hot and didn’t take his shit, Jon and Ygriette where Jon loved her because... she was sassy and it was the first woman he slept with?!?, or Dany and Drogo where she loved him because of Stockholm syndrome and she faked it till she made it or something. Jon and Dany actually had things in common and we got to see them discover those commonalities.  But that is all very subjective. 

I agree though. I don’t expect next year to see a blossoming of romance left and right. If anything the show has been increasingly tightening its focus around the season 1 characters and I don’t see that changing to explore a bunch of romance between secondary characters. 

i actually think jon/ygritte has been the best pairing on this show so far. kit/rose's chemistry is miles and miles better than kit/emilia's imo. plus rose leslie is like 50x more talented than both kit and emilia which also helps.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

I see no sexual tension on the show either. I just want them to get tohether, because it improves the chances for their book counterparts to do the same.

The book Brienne is described as looking much worse than the show version, but her behaviour and the thoughts we see are much more feminine. By the way, she would never say "fuck".

If I may mention uncomfirmed spoilers about season 8 ...

Spoiler

I can see it happening as described in the outline. Brienne depressed about Podrick killed by the Others, Jaime saying it is sad, cut to scenes with other characters, and later cut back to Jaime and Brienne doing it without explanation. 

Neither Kit nor Emilia can really act (in my opinion), so having them try to portray a romance with each other was like the blind leading the blind. D&D's writing for Jon/Dany did the pairing no favours, but talented actors/actresses could have made something out of it. Look at how Iain Glen sold the shit out of Jorah's unrequited love for Dany across multiple seasons and a lot of questionable writing.

I think if you have one talented actor/actress in a pairing, they can still sell it (Jon/Ygritte is a good example), but if both of them can't act? Forget about it. The really talented actors/actresses make everyone who acts opposite them raise their game, but put two shitty actors/actresses together, and you're compounding the awfulness. Some of the most cringeworthy scenes on the show have been due to putting two or more actors/actresses in a room who can't act and making them play off each other. I love Nina Gold's casting overall, but man, GOT has some actors/actresses in the bunch who can't act for shit.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Yeah, I can't see TV SanSan happening either. And when I say "I can't see it" with Jaime/Brienne and Sandor/Sansa, I mean not that it seems highly unlikely (although it does), but that I can't even visualize what it would look like. Can you picture Jaime and Brienne having a sex scene, or even making out? Because I sure can't. I can't even picture Sandor and Sansa kissing, even though Sansa has kissed a variety of disgusting guys over the course of the show.

lmao the idea of sansa/sandor kissing makes me want to puke. i think jaime/brienne in the show have a lot of emotional chemistry. if that makes any sense?? but i've never felt anything sexual between them. on the other hand, jaime/cersei are sort of meh/just okay when they're talking but their kissing scenes are actually pretty charged and passionate. 

NCW and GC are decent actors so i'm sure they could a good job with a sex scene when the time comes but personally its really hard for me to imagine that scene actually being sexy. 

13 minutes ago, beauty6 said:

I see no sexual tension on the show either [between Brienne and Jaime]

Right? Not just me, then.

It occasionally happens in fandom that shippers who root eagerly for A and B to get together are horrified by A and B's obvious lack of romantic chemistry when it finally happens and quickly sour on the ship. I could see something similar happening for Jaime/Brienne shippers if the characters ever do hook up. "OMG finally finally finally they're finally kissi---ugh, no, no, no! They're so awkward! I take it all back! So wrong SO WRONG! Make it stop! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"

Archived