[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

13 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I don’t know if we have seen anything to indicate that other than getting his point of view. 

I have not seen anything to make me think he would not have thrown Bran out the window again since not throwing Bran out the window runs the risk of having Cersei, their three kids and himself killed for treason. 

If we are talking exclusively about the show, Jaime has left Cersei while she is pregnant, to do the right thing. That's a big deal for someone who flung a boy out of a window for Cersei and the kids. That to me show he is a changed man.

2 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

I don't think the show has been foreshadowing Jaime dying with Cersei either. Jaime literally made the choice that would save him from Cersei being the death of him, he left her. The script states he is never looking back again. The Valonqar was cut from the show entirely (because it's not what everyone thinks it is). The Old Gods showed Jaime diverging from all the Lannisters. The show has upheld what the Old Gods prophesied. Jaime left Cersei and his Lannister uniform behind. He and Brienne will be up North with their twin swords. That is his future. And if he dies, his end (with Brienne by his side).

I don't think so, either. I was discussing the fact that if a poster thinks that "that" line foreshadows something it can't because everything that Cersei thinks will happen won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Just as she won't defeat Jon, Dany and the WWs.

She thinks she will win the iron throne, nope, this won't happen.

Anything that she says will happen won't happen. She is doomed by a prophecy.

Its more than just Cersei’s comments. Its Olena. Its Jaime himself. 

8 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Its more than just Cersei’s comments. Its Olena. Its Jaime himself. 

Olenna could just be wrong. She said that assuming Jaime would never leave Cersei, which he has done since then.

And Jaime wants to die in the arms of the woman he loves. Note he didn't say Cersei. I'm sure he was thinking of Cersei then. But the woman he loves doesn't seem to be Cersei anymore.

1 minute ago, Apoplexy said:

Olenna could just be wrong. She said that assuming Jaime would never leave Cersei, which he has done since then.

Olenna was making that assessment under the assumption that Jaime would stay with Cersei. He didn't.

And Jaime wants to die in the arms of the woman he loves. Note he didn't say Cersei. I'm sure he was thinking of Cersei then. But the woman he loves doesn't seem to be Cersei anymore.

The woman he dumped and is never looking back to again according to the script? Yeah, I don't think that's the woman he will ultimately love. 

Just now, Apoplexy said:

Olena could be wrong. The foreshadowing that is in the show could be either a red herring or not intentional at all. And him walking away in the last episode could represent him breaking away from his past and that he has avoided the fate that would have befallen him had he stayed with Cersei. That is totally possible. 

But i think you also have to admit that if the show was trying to set up a tragic ending between the two of them that it has been laying the appropriate groundwork for it and including the appropriate amount of hints and clues where it would not be something that came out of no where and was just a shock for shocks sake. 

16 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

If we are talking exclusively about the show, Jaime has left Cersei while she is pregnant, to do the right thing. That's a big deal for someone who flung a boy out of a window for Cersei and the kids. That to me show he is a changed man.

Show and Books, Jaime has changed notably. 

"I . . . you do not understand, Jaime . . . he saved me from being raped when the Bloody Mummers took us, and later he came back for me, he leapt into the bear pit empty-handed . . . I swear to you, he is not the man he was. He sent me after Sansa to keep her safe..."-Brienne, VIII

10 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

Just like:

"we don't choose who we love..." thinking of Cersei but foreshadowing of Brienne due to the intensity of the scene together: he looking at Brienne when saying this.

Just now, Meera of Tarth said:

Just like:

"we don't choose who we love..." thinking of Cersei but foreshadowing of Brienne due to the intensity of the scene together: he looking at her when saying this.

Yes! The director confirmed it too.

Over the “we don’t get to choose who we love” scene when Brienne is holding Jaime:

“An unexpected moment of tenderness between them, foreshadowing what may happen.” -Daniel Minahan (Director, 3x2)

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Olena could be wrong. The foreshadowing that is in the show could be either a red herring or not intentional at all. And him walking away in the last episode could represent him breaking away from his past and that he has avoided the fate that would have befallen him had he stayed with Cersei. That is totally possible. 

But i think you also have to admit that if the show was trying to set up a tragic ending between the two of them that it has been laying the appropriate groundwork for it and including the appropriate amount of hints and clues where it would not be something that came out of no where and was just a shock for shocks sake. 

I don't think the show has set up a tragic ending for Jaime and Cersei. The show hasn't mentioned the valonqar nor has Cersei repeated multiple times that she thinks she will die with Jaime. And that's the thing with Cersei, even if she thinks she is destined to die with Jaime, I think she is wrong.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Just like:

"we don't choose who we love..." thinking of Cersei but foreshadowing of Brienne due to the intensity of the scene together: he looking at Brienne when saying this.

Exactly.

And when Jaime said that to Brienne, they were discussing Renly. Someone who Brienne was clearly in love with then. So that line works for the both of them. Brienne thought she would never love anyone after Renly (maybe because she thinks no one can truly love her because she isn't conventionally beautiful) and Jaime thinks he loves Cersei and its out of his control. But Brienne got over Renly, was likely falling for Jaime as early as season 4. And Jaime finally took control and broke with Cersei. They both moved away from people who suited them more in their heads than in reality.

15 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I don't think the show has set up a tragic ending for Jaime and Cersei. The show hasn't mentioned the valonqar nor has Cersei repeated multiple times that she thinks she will die with Jaime. And that's the thing with Cersei, even if she thinks she is destined to die with Jaime, I think she is wrong.

Well. If it happens don’t say it wasn’t laid out because several people in this chat have been pointing it out in addition to myself.

If it doesn’t happen you can fault our poor analysis. 

5 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

@MinscS2

good article about who the main characters are 

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-screen-time-chart-reveals-main-players-changing-trends/#respond

basically screen time in season 7 for everyone but the core 7 characters collapsed. We can prob expect that to continue into season 8.

I actually expect Brienne's screentime to increase dramatically next season as she will be paired with Jaime.

23 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Well. If it happens don’t say it wasn’t laid out because several people in this chat have been pointing it out in addition to myself.

If it doesn’t happen you can fault our poor analysis. 

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it. I'll even start a thread that's titled '@jcmontea is right, I was wrong, you have permission to point and laugh'.  (no sarcasm intended)

16 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it. I'll even start a thread that's titled '@jcmontea is right, I was wrong, you have permission to point and laugh'.  (no sarcasm intended)

Lol. While on some level that thread appeals to me, its not just me. @Newstar @larastone and @Lysander have all read the evidence the same way. 

Archived