[Book Spoilers] Jaime & Brienne- What's going on?

Meera of Tarth

15 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Incest is a poison, Jaime, now that he is getting away/off of it, detox if you will, might become a character we can watch without nausea in Season 8.

I personally do not view incest favorably. But I can see how Jaime thought it was ok. He lived in a kingdom where monarchs married siblings for generations. I don't fault him for having a long term relationship with his sister.

48 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

@MinscS2

good article about who the main characters are 

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-screen-time-chart-reveals-main-players-changing-trends/#respond

basically screen time in season 7 for everyone but the core 7 characters collapsed. We can prob expect that to continue into season 8.

Well look at that, the 7 characters I considered "mains" are also the 7 with the most screentime. :)

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't think so, either. I was discussing the fact that if a poster thinks that "that" line foreshadows something it can't because everything that Cersei thinks will happen won't happen.

Yeah. I don't put too much stock into the pronouncements of an obviously delusional and often comically mistaken character. If anything, it's an indication that it won't happen. 

16 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

Yeah. I don't put too much stock into the pronouncements of an obviously delusional and often comically mistaken character. If anything, it's an indication that it won't happen. 

Totally. Like all the times she said she would burn cities to the ground. Pure delusion. She just burned a part of a city to the ground.

or all he times she said the tyrells were a problem in season 3. Its not like they killed her son in season 4. 

Or that time she said the dragons were vulnerable... its not like one died three episodes later or anything

Anything she says is clearly never foreshadowing. 

25 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

No.

Not wishing to start a debate on incest, but considering the targs had been marrying siblings for three hundred years, I can see how Jaime thought it was acceptable to wish to marry his sister. And considering the kind of childhood they had, I'm not surprised they got involved. Sure, it's inappropriate based on present day information, but based on the society they lived in, doesn't seem all that egregious.

7 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Totally. Like all the times she said she would burn cities to the ground. Pure delusion. She just burned a part of a city to the ground.

or all he times she said the tyrells were a problem in season 3. Its not like they killed her son in season 4. 

I was speaking of the books. Did she says she was going to burn cities down in the books?

No. She thinks she's dying with Jaime, and that he never got her raven, and that he's never abandon her. Delusional. Sad. Mistaken. 

Nor is her born together/die together spiel part of the show. 

1 minute ago, sapphire_lion said:

I was speaking the books. Did she says she was going to burn cities down in the books?

No. She thinks she's dying with Jaime, and that he never got her raven, and that he's never abandon her. Delusional. Sad. Mistaken. 

This is a show thread no? In the show a lot of what Cersei says actually does happen. So thinking that it won’t happen just because she said it would doesn’t seem like a perfect ground to stand on when talking about the show.

34 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

This is a show thread no?

We discuss the show and the books in this thread (have been doing so all along). My post was in reference to things Cersei has said in the books. If you have a problem with that, you can start your own thread that precludes book references.  

In the show a lot of what Cersei says actually does happen. So thinking that it won’t happen just because she said it would doesn’t seem like a perfect ground to stand on when talking about the show.

Uttlerly irrelevant, as I was discussing Book Cersei's foolish pronouncements. 

Not to mention that ShowCersei hasn't actually burned a cities. Just a sept. The act driving her last child to suicide. I don't consider her particularly prescient.

Also, her own behavior influenced the kind of problem the Tyrells became. She literally threatened to kill Margery. Not impressed with her prophetic insights as of yet.

4 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

We discuss the show and the books in this thread (have been doing so all along). My post was in reference to things Cersei has said in the books. If you have a problem with that, you can start your own thread that precludes book references.  

Uttlerly irrelevant, as I was discussing Book Cersei's foolisg prnoncements. 

Not to mention that ShowCersei hasn't actually burned a cities. Just a sept. The act driving her last child to suicide. I don't consider her particularly prescient. 

Lol. She has been pretty spot on at times in the show. If you want to ignore that and purely rely on the books to predict the show then go ahead. But if the books were predictive of the show, then i must have missed the third head of the dragon popping up. 

Just now, jcmontea said:

Lol. She has been pretty spot on at times in the show. If you want to ignore that and purely rely on the books to predict the show then go ahead. But if the books were predictive of the show, then i must have missed the third head of the dragon popping up. 

I don't think ShowCersei has prophetic insights. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

Exactly.

And when Jaime said that to Brienne, they were discussing Renly. Someone who Brienne was clearly in love with then. So that line works for the both of them. Brienne thought she would never love anyone after Renly (maybe because she thinks no one can truly love her because she isn't conventionally beautiful) and Jaime thinks he loves Cersei and its out of his control. But Brienne got over Renly, was likely falling for Jaime as early as season 4. And Jaime finally took control and broke with Cersei. They both moved away from people who suited them more in their heads than in reality.

I loved that moment!!!!! On ny rewatches, I find it super romantic. Now after many seasons developing the romance and bein separated......wow when they finally act on their feelings in the middle of the chaos....it will be epic. Six seasons waitinf for this!!!

36 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Or that time she said the dragons were vulnerable... its not like one died three episodes later or anything

When Cersei said she would burn cities down, she was talking about doing it to keep Tommen safe. She only blew up the sept and Tommen died anyways.

The tyrells were certainly a problem, but there wasn't too much that could be done about it in season 3. And it wasn't just Cersei who saw this, everyone did, including Tywin, whom she was talking to.

Cersei wasn't wrong about the dragons, but meeting the dothraki in open field with the dragons to back them would have been a bad idea.

Cersei doesn't always think things through and her decisions backfire.

47 minutes ago, sapphire_lion said:

YI don't put too much stock into the pronouncements of an obviously delusional and often comically mistaken character. If anything, it's an indication that it won't happen. 

Yeah and let's not foret that Cersei is the show has more protagonism rhan in the booka (unless Winds proves me wrong and she becomes more important) . 

29 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

This is a show thread no? In the show a lot of what Cersei says actually does happen. So thinking that it won’t happen just because she said it would doesn’t seem like a perfect ground to stand on when talking about the show.

It is a show thread with spoilers from the books. So both things can be discussed. In fact the books are a good guide to understand what might be going on between Jaime and Brienne because the show made se mistakes in the last two seaaons. (Although they still hinted at the inevitable fact that Jaime and Brienne will be a thing)

1 minute ago, sapphire_lion said:

Also, ShowCersei isn't going to influence GRRM's endgame in any case. :lmao:

No. But show Cersei is written by people who know the endgame. 

13 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

When Cersei said she would burn cities down, she was talking about doing it to keep Tommen safe. She only blew up the sept and Tommen died anyways.

The tyrells were certainly a problem, but there wasn't too much that could be done about it in season 3. And it wasn't just Cersei who saw this, everyone did, including Tywin, whom she was talking to.

Cersei wasn't wrong about the dragons, but meeting the dothraki in open field with the dragons to back them would have been a bad idea.

Cersei doesn't always think things through and her decisions backfire.

The point is not that she is always right. The point is that you can’t dismiss things she says as potential foreshadowing just because she says it since things she has said before have been foreshadowing and not just red herrings. 

11 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

The point is not that she is always right. The point is that you can’t dismiss things she says as potential foreshadowing just because she says it since things she has said before have been foreshadowing and not just red herrings. 

But what she says will happen doesn't pan out exactly as she says. And I don't believe she has said she expects to die with Jaime on the show. only 'no one walks away from me'. And Jaime has already walked away from her.

Archived