Promotional photos from Episode 9

The entire setup for the battle is depressing. Three Houses (one a show creation) contribute a paltry number of soldiers to the Stark army with the rest remaining neutral and one House that is meant to be fiercely loyal betraying the Starks to side with the Bastard. So as oppose to the North rallying around Ned's children, building up a real Stark army, and bringing about a truly inspiring, cathartic Stark restoration we have another bleak, contrived, uninspiring faux-underdog situation where the Starks do not prevail to save the North and because of the North, but in spite of the North. 

Oh, the North rallying around the Starks would shift the power balance between the Stark and Boltons so profoundly that the battle would become tantamount to a cleanup? Maintain the Karstark situation and have one where the Lannisters-Tyrell coalition send mountains of troops to aid Ramsay and given sufficient gold to hire sellswords. Given how fond the writers are of contriving illogical rubbish even Euron could have sent troops to aid his evil Northern counterpart for some, once again, contrived reason

What a depressing waste.

5 hours ago, Survivor92 said:

So the battle seems to go like this (based on these pics and previous leaks):

Reveal hidden contents

- Ramsay sends Rickon to Jon, kills him with an arrow, then heavy Bolton cavalry charges Jon and Stark cavalry comes to his rescue

- Cavalry clash

- Archers fire

- Jon/Wildlings attack uphill, infantry clash, Bolton archers fire into both ranks. WunWun just stamps around without a weapon/tree (?)

- Stark army is losing, pile of bodies is formed (men have to climb on it to reach Boltons, die, and add to its size)

- Stark army gets surrounded by orcs from Mordor Bolton shieldwall

- Only a few dozen men + AragornJon remain and climb the pile of bodies, situation seems hopeless

- Gandalf Littlefinger arrives, cavalry charge from the Vale, midway we'll cut to black to the end of the battle

- Meeting between LF and Jon in Winterfell

I hope I am wrong. I mean, the visuals are gonna be nice, but this seems like one of the least exciting ways to handle this battle. The Vale riding in last-minute is such a cliché at this point and kills the tension.

You're missing a few things from the leaks.

Spoiler

Such as the capture of Winterfell, the death of Wun Wun, and Jon beating the shit out of Ramsey until Sansa arrives and Jon orders him imprisoned

34 minutes ago, Red Helm said:

The entire setup for the battle is depressing. Three Houses (one a show creation) contribute a paltry number of soldiers to the Stark army with the rest remaining neutral and one House that is meant to be fiercely loyal betraying the Starks to side with the Bastard. So as oppose to the North rallying around Ned's children, building up a real Stark army, and bringing about a truly inspiring, cathartic Stark restoration we have another bleak, contrived, uninspiring faux-underdog situation where the Starks do not prevail to save the North and because of the North, but in spite of the North. 

Oh, the North rallying around the Starks would shift the power balance between the Stark and Boltons so profoundly that the battle would become tantamount to a cleanup? Maintain the Karstark situation and have one where the Lannisters-Tyrell coalition send mountains of troops to aid Ramsay and given sufficient gold to hire sellswords. Given how fond the writers are of contriving illogical rubbish even Euron could have sent troops to aid his evil Northern counterpart for some, once again, contrived reason

What a depressing waste.

I couldn't agree more. The North is fighting for a Bolton against a son and daughter of Ned Stark. How did GOT get this so wrong?

soooooooo......the boltons leave winterfell and face jon and his army in open battle? I don't mean to be persnickety here, but it does seem that a castle like Winterfell would be a really excellent place to, ya know, wage a war from while the would be attackers are trying to build siege weapons. I mean, Winterfell has stood for, what, 8000 years. One would naturally assume that is because it is a pretty good defensive advantage against invaders.

25 minutes ago, nothatso said:

You're missing a few things from the leaks.

Reveal hidden contents

Such as the capture of Winterfell, the death of Wun Wun, and Jon beating the shit out of Ramsey until Sansa arrives and Jon orders him imprisoned

Spoiler

just out of curiosity, if Ramsay is imprisoned as you suggest will it be as a Noble who is captured in war. As far as I can tell the only crime he has commit was killing the miller's boys which he pretended were Bran and Rickon so he wouldn't necessarily be imprisoned as a criminal, but rather as an enemy combatant of noble birth.

7 hours ago, ricardoromell said:

See the banner circled in red excuse the hack job since its from my phone

https://s31.postimg.org/r5dbn71wb/20160616_182722.jpg

It looks similar to the falcon in this image

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Arryn#/image/File:House_Arryn.PNG

It's only the bottom of the flag that the sigil is on. The upper is white. Also I do realise that there are other versions of the sigil. Just found this similar.

After looking at the one you circle it just looks like the Direwolf banner, with the Gray Direwolf at the bottom. There are others one like that in that picture.

7 hours ago, Survivor92 said:

So the battle seems to go like this (based on these pics and previous leaks):

Reveal hidden contents

- Ramsay sends Rickon to Jon, kills him with an arrow, then heavy Bolton cavalry charges Jon and Stark cavalry comes to his rescue

- Cavalry clash

- Archers fire

- Jon/Wildlings attack uphill, infantry clash, Bolton archers fire into both ranks. WunWun just stamps around without a weapon/tree (?)

- Stark army is losing, pile of bodies is formed (men have to climb on it to reach Boltons, die, and add to its size)

- Stark army gets surrounded by orcs from Mordor Bolton shieldwall

- Only a few dozen men + AragornJon remain and climb the pile of bodies, situation seems hopeless

- Gandalf Littlefinger arrives, cavalry charge from the Vale, midway we'll cut to black to the end of the battle

- Meeting between LF and Jon in Winterfell

I hope I am wrong. I mean, the visuals are gonna be nice, but this seems like one of the least exciting ways to handle this battle. The Vale riding in last-minute is such a cliché at this point and kills the tension.

After all the bad sh*t that has happen to House Stark you'd think they would get some payback with this battle and become the heros again. But nah, D&D reserve that spot for LF their 2nd OP character next to Ramsay. Smfh<_<

3 hours ago, Red Helm said:

What a depressing waste.

All of this.  So depressing and weird.  Other than a handful of hipster iconoclasts, Starks are the heroes of the saga.  But, on the show, even when they win, they lose.

9 hours ago, ricardoromell said:

See the banner circled in red excuse the hack job since its from my phone

https://s31.postimg.org/r5dbn71wb/20160616_182722.jpg

It looks similar to the falcon in this image

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Arryn#/image/File:House_Arryn.PNG

It's only the bottom of the flag that the sigil is on. The upper is white. Also I do realise that there are other versions of the sigil. Just found this similar.

Yep, that's what I see, too -  reverse the blue and white, and tip the falcon ever so slightly ...

sigil.jpg

** not sure if that's the right way to post an image here - but hopefully it works, yes?**

The Vale coming to the rescue is so incredibly predictable that I wonder why they're even bothering with that whole set-up.

Like, even my poor grandma with Alzheimer's knows Littlefinger is gonna show up at the last minute to save the day, and she doesn't even watch GoT. 

They made zero attempt at treating like a surprise, so why not cut the bullshit and have the Vale join Jon since the beginning, because the whole artificial underdog thing is just gonna be going through the motions until the Vale shows up. 

Also, Sophie Turner would've been a magnificent Val. She's serving Regal Northern Chick in spades in those pictures.

People complain when the show does something for shock value, people complain when it includes a predictable plot development. People complain no matter what. You want something out of the blue or something that's been set-up? Deus ex Machina or a proper narrative build-up?

4 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The Vale coming to the rescue is so incredibly predictable that I wonder why they're even bothering with that whole set-up.

They learned from the master....see Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall. Who came up with those set-ups in the first place?

1 minute ago, Darksky said:

People complain when the show does something for shock value, people complain when it includes a predictable plot development. People complain no matter what. You want something out of the blue or something that's been set-up? Deus ex Machina or a proper narrative build-up?

They learned from the master....see Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall. Who came up with those set-ups in the first place?

True that. Blackwater in particular is very telegraphed in the books, but I guess I wanted more like a middle ground? A few hints here and there so as not to make it entirely predictable but not too out of the blue either. 

I'd also like a twist, like Sansa double crossing LF after the dust settles or something like that. 

One scene (LF with Seetrobin in the Vale) and LF mentioning the army to Sansa (which drowned in the sea of other stuff said during that meet-up). It's hardly been telegraphed. I bet many viewers already forgot about LF and the Vale army. It's obvious to those fishing for spoilers and analysing every second of every episode only.

I actually hope we get a scene of Sansa telling Jon about the Knights of the Vale or him mentioning them before the battle implying they had that conversation off-screen. It just looks bad on Sansa if she keeps that to herself.

1 hour ago, Warsaw said:

Say that to Grey Wind.

best scenario that can happen to Ghost according to a user, I'm in love with this prediction

Spoiler

I bet we'll see Ghost in the Battle of Bastards.  We'll see him randomly appear out of nowhere, jump into a pile of Bolton men, and get killed immediately.

Summer style 

Archived