Ghost's chances of survival?

As one of the few remaining Stark direwolves, this next episode could spell trouble for our furry friend...that is, assuming he's present for the Battle of the Bastards at all given his general absence this season. A lot of people would assume that he'll just remain incognito, but just in case it's not, I'd like to run through a few factors.

- Ghost could be away hunting or staying with the non-combatants. Ghost would be safer, but it'd be kind of pointless having him around if he's not doing anything other than racking up the CGI budget. Direwolves are just as iconic as Dragons IMO. They should be given more to do than get killed or wander in the background. 

- Ghost could participate in the battle, which is very risky. He's an unarmored critter going up against armored and shielded men in an open field.

- Direwolves are symbolic of House Stark. Ghost could act as a morale booster if Wun Wun doesn't do the job well enough already.

- Ghost could be part of an ambush. As we have seen with his older sibling Grey Wind in the Battle of the Whispering Wood, direwolves can be effective when unleashed on unsuspecting enemies. They do a good job of scaring cavalry too.   

- Ghost's color gives him an advantage over his mostly deceased siblings, being the same color as the terrain of the battle. 

Any thoughts?

I really think that should Jon/the Starks prevail (for once) that ghost will be the one to kill/eat/take out Ramsay. It just seems too poetic an ending for a bad guy who fed many a person to his dogs to die being eaten by the (more or less) last remaining Stark dire wolf. This seems an obvious way to go and the show does tend to go the way of obvious sometimes. 

I'd love to see Ghost take Ramsay down. I don't like the way the show has handled the direwolves and kind of ignored the fact that all of the Stark children have latent warging ability, not just Bran. I've been more distressed by the apparent deaths of Summer and Shaggy than most of the humans!  If the show is pre-empting direwolf deaths that will also happen in the books, then only Ghost and Nymeria remain and my thoughts are that the showrunners are killing off the direwolves to leave Ghost as the last remaining direwolf - I slight irony because Jon is a HalfStark. 

As said above, let the Starks prevail for once. Not much mention has been made in the show about 'there must always be a Stark in Winterfell'. We don't know why there must be a Stark in Winterfell, but now there is one - Rickon. I'd love to see him warg into Ghost, go for Ramsay's throat and wipe that smug look off his face. 

Ghost has not appeared much lately. No mention of Nymeria since Arya had to drive her off. I'm wondering if, in the show, Ghost is off gathering up a pack of wolf allies like Nymeria in the books, and they reappear to make a feast of Ramsay and all his men. Probably just wishful thinking. 

I genuinely don't know, but that would be a sensible option.

He'll be protecting Sansa, Mel and Lady Mormont. Either that or Bran has told him the outcome of the battle and Ghost is so unconcerned he goes hunting instead.

The wolves are real as CGI wolves would be way too expensive and time consuming. Apparently dragons are much easier.

Ghost will be around somewhere and I'm 99% certain he'll survive season 6.

I believe and hope that Ghost will be at the battle, he has always been there in previous episodes helping to take out foes (saving Sam at the fist of the first men, at Crastor's Keep and at the Battle of Castle Black). I can't see him staying and protecting Sansa if Jon is fighting, unless Jon tells him too. I think if he is there he will be by Jon's side.

"I need him more than I need you" -Jon to Sam at the Battle of Castle Black S04E09

17 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Ghost is nowhere to be seen at the battlefield. So he probably stayed behind with Mel, Lyanna Mormont and guard them. Plus there is this rumour about Jon, LF and Ghost.

I've seen this so many times in the forums but can never find the source. Can you please provide a link? 

7 minutes ago, youshallnotpass said:

I've seen this so many times in the forums but can never find the source. Can you please provide a link? 

One as at WOTW site someone who had VFX source that they used green stick for Ghost on the set and then they added him later on. They shoot his scenes in Canada where this wolf is living. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/4n2qb2/spoilers_regarding_a_littlefinger_and_jon_scene/

I still don't get how the show can leave out the main involvement of the dire wolves. Jon's connection to Ghost and Arya to her's is pretty important to their personal stories. 

It's either laziness or cheapness on the part of the show; the latter of which would surprise me due to the popularity and income of the show!

Ghost needs to be involved in the battle or the episode at least or there was no point including any of them in the show from the start. 

12 hours ago, sharding85 said:

I still don't get how the show can leave out the main involvement of the dire wolves. Jon's connection to Ghost and Arya to her's is pretty important to their personal stories. 

It's either laziness or cheapness on the part of the show; the latter of which would surprise me due to the popularity and income of the show!

Ghost needs to be involved in the battle or the episode at least or there was no point including any of them in the show from the start. 

+1.  

We want ghost.  And we want him to survive.  Let's go D/D

30 minutes ago, MakeWesterosGreatAgain said:

The Starks not all being magic-Wars was one of the improvements the TV show made. All of them warging in the books made Bran's storyline less impactful. I thought it was overkill. 

In Martin's mind every major character has to have at least one plot gift, or 1000 (in Dany's case).

Archived