What if Domeric Bolton lived?

Oakhearts head

On 6/16/2016 at 0:50 AM, Orphalesion said:

Well I do think that we can trust Roose's words that Domeric was quiet, musical and accomplished. However, notice that Roose never calls him "honourable".

Remember that Roose's personal motto is "a quiet land, a quiet people" but that doesn't stop him from privately indulging in his cruelties. What Roose dislikes about Ramsay is that Ramsay is unrefined, extravagant, obvious and wasteful in his perversions, not that he has them.

For all we know Domeric was simply closer to Roose in character, but still a Bolton at heart....

And I agree that Roose might have tried for a match between Domeric and Sansa. Not sure if Ned would have agreed. Or if Domeric would have been a better husband than Joffrey... I do believe Sansa would have been infatuated with him in the beginning, in any case.

I was surprised that Roose didn't try for a match between Domeric and Sansa, especially for an ambitious man like Roose. 

Marrying into the Starks would oblige Roose to support them as kin, not only as liege lords. Maybe he wished to avoid such an entanglement? Even if he does not care, it would be bad PR for Boltons to act poorly towards the Starks in such a situation.

So this could be an example of the bad blood between the two Houses - they NEVER intermarry.

But the Starks could also be to blame - snubbing the Karstarks over Alys could had been interpreted in the North as "don't bother asking the Starks for marriage alliances - their eyes are on the South. The Ned was raised there, his Lady is from there ..."

I am just throwing out a hypothesis there could had been such a perception of the current regime at Winterfell, that after Roderick the Starks are thought to be too "South focused". Hence, Roose not bothering to ask as "all the Starks will marry Southrons anyway".

Archived