Great houses and body types

The "Stark look" seems to involve dark hair, grey eyes, and a long face(Arya horseface).

The "Tully look" has red hair and blue eyes.

But I don't know if that's typical, or just in the current couple of generations.

I don't think sweeping generalizations about them should be made, because most generalizations come from just the current generation. For example, we can't say much for the way the Arryns look, because we've only seen Robin who is frail brown hair and blue eyes; and Harry who is broad with blonde hair and blue eyes. But does Robert's look come from Lysa or Jon? Does Harry's look come from the Arryn side, the Waynwood side, or the Hardyng side?

The Martells are ethnically apart from the other great houses of Andal and First Men descent because of the strong admixture of Rhoynish blood. They are Salty Dornishmen with olive skin, dark hair and eyes, and lean quick body types.

Mace, Garlan, Margaery, and Loras have curly brown hair, but that's all we know they all have in common. Garlan is described as tall and broad, and Mace was once powerful. Loras and Margaery are slender. Marg has big brown eyes, Loras' are golden, and Lazy Leo's are hazel. I think this more than the others is harder to say because of all the intermingling in the important Reach houses. Like, should Horas and Hobber be analyzed? What about the extended families? I'd wager there is no Tyrell look beyond family resemblance.

The sons and grandchildren of Quellon Greyjoy have dark eyes and dark hair, except for Euron's blue eye. Quellon, Balon, and Aeron are described as tall. Quellon and Victarion are big and powerful. Balon, Aeron, Asha, and Theon are thin or lean. I don't remember if Euron's body type is described besides attractive.

Lannisters have blonde hair and green eyes.

Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes and tend to be broad and muscular.

Well the Baratheons at least seem to have possesed

39 minutes ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

I don't think sweeping generalizations about them should be made, because most generalizations come from just the current generation.

I agree mostly, but at the very least the Baratheons seem to have featured black hair for centuries if those chronicles Ned reads are to be believed. 

Likewise the "plain" looks of the Starks are irrc associated with the appearance First Men, which would still have a stronger genetic presence in the North, and on the Iron Islands, than further South.

Something makes me believe that the Lannisters have also been regularly blond for their whole existence, though I'm not 100% sure on that. 

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I agree mostly, but at the very least the Baratheons seem to have featured black hair for centuries if those chronicles Ned reads are to be believed. 

Likewise the "plain" looks of the Starks are irrc associated with the appearance First Men, which would still have a stronger genetic presence in the North, and on the Iron Islands, than further South.

Something makes me believe that the Lannisters have also been regularly blond for their whole existence, though I'm not 100% sure on that. 

I can agree with you, there, Orys Baratheon is broad with dark hair, and the Lannisters of Lannisport who branched off long ago have golden hair, too.

Lann the clever was said to have stolen light from the sun to brighten his hair and he passed this trait on to his children, so the Lannisters have likely had blonde hair since their beginnings. Plus they all have green eyes. 

Orys had black eyes, so it may be that the blue eyes are from House Durrandon. Looking at Orys, Lyonel and Robert, the Baratheons also seem to have a strong propensity to breed great warriors, and Martin even said Stannis is a skilled warrior though he's 'no Robert'.

Starks don't seem to have an archetypal body type from what I can tell, though they have the grey eyes and dark brown hair of the Dunedain.

Tullys have auburn hair and blue eyes, Edmure and Robb, who took after his mother, both seemed to have a stocky build from what I can recall, I don't know if this is a long term trait. 

Martells seem like standard Salty Dornishmen, though Oberyn's passed on his own distinctive eyes. The Tyrells seem to have fairly standard brown hair and eyes, though I think it was mentioned that some have gold. 

I'd wager the Freys have always had weasel chins, same with the Boltons and their pale eyes.

Then there are the Umbers who all seem to be huge, the Florents have big ears. Other houses like the Cleganes and Dunk have traits, but as we're only looking at a handful of generations, so their similarities  seem to be within the realms of realism as opposed to the hundreds - thousands of years of bloodlines we see in the older houses. 

The idea of a 'look' is something I would have liked to have seen applied in the show, though I get it would be a logistical problem to maintain. 

There are likely more I'm forgetting. 

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Shireen Purratheon said:

The "Stark look" seems to involve dark hair, grey eyes, and a long face(Arya horseface).

The "Tully look" has red hair and blue eyes.

But I don't know if that's typical, or just in the current couple of generations.

I don't think sweeping generalizations about them should be made, because most generalizations come from just the current generation. For example, we can't say much for the way the Arryns look, because we've only seen Robin who is frail brown hair and blue eyes; and Harry who is broad with blonde hair and blue eyes. But does Robert's look come from Lysa or Jon? Does Harry's look come from the Arryn side, the Waynwood side, or the Hardyng side?

The Martells are ethnically apart from the other great houses of Andal and First Men descent because of the strong admixture of Rhoynish blood. They are Salty Dornishmen with olive skin, dark hair and eyes, and lean quick body types.

Mace, Garlan, Margaery, and Loras have curly brown hair, but that's all we know they all have in common. Garlan is described as tall and broad, and Mace was once powerful. Loras and Margaery are slender. Marg has big brown eyes, Loras' are golden, and Lazy Leo's are hazel. I think this more than the others is harder to say because of all the intermingling in the important Reach houses. Like, should Horas and Hobber be analyzed? What about the extended families? I'd wager there is no Tyrell look beyond family resemblance.

The sons and grandchildren of Quellon Greyjoy have dark eyes and dark hair, except for Euron's blue eye. Quellon, Balon, and Aeron are described as tall. Quellon and Victarion are big and powerful. Balon, Aeron, Asha, and Theon are thin or lean. I don't remember if Euron's body type is described besides attractive.

Lannisters have blonde hair and green eyes.

Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes and tend to be broad and muscular.

Harry  is described as looking like a young Jon Arryn, his looks almost certainly come from the Arryn in him. I have doubts about Robert being Jon's but if he is he got little of Jon in him who was strong and broad shouldered 

Targaryen traditional look is silver-blonde hair and purple eyes that can either be violet, lilac or dark indigo. They are generally tall, examples are Aegon the Conqueror, Maegor, Baelor Breakspear, Maekar, Aegon V and Rhaegar. Some are slender as Rhaegar others are muscular as Maegor. Due to marriage outside the family, other Targaryens have different caracteristics such as Baelor Breakspear or Princess Rhaenys that resemble their Dornish mothers with dark hair and eyes. A couple of Targaryens have blue eyes. 

Baratheons have a very strong seed with black hair and blue eyes. Generally they have a tall, strong and muscular build as we see in Robert Baratheon, Steffon and even Renly. 

Lannisters are characterized by golden-blonde hair with curls and green eyes. They are tall, slender and generally refered as handsome. 

Stark traditional look is dark hair and grey eyes, in the case of Ned offspring this is a bit different because most of them resemble their Tully mother with auburn hair and blue eyes. Generally they have a long face. 

Martells are salty dornishman having dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin similar to Mediterranean people. 

Guest jasonothegreat
On 6/16/2016 at 6:25 PM, Golden Royce said:

I would like to know how all the house are compared physically. I know the cannisters are tall and good looking as well as the baratheons. Robert and Renly are both very muscular. So how do the other houses compare?

Umbers Are Giants

Tyrells are fair and willowy

Baratheons Specifically have BLACK hair and large frames

Lannisters Specifically Have BLONDE hair and are Fair body types can vary (Example Tygett Lannister compared to Lord Tywin Lannister)

Starks Are Grey eyed and stern of face

Targaryens are Very attractive and very perfect

Daynes are fair and either Black or Silver haired

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2016 at 9:42 PM, Adam Targaryen said:

I think the Crakehalls are described as being very big, and the Cleganes probably all are as well. The Crannogmen, including House Reed, are small and they most likely have predominantly dark hair.

Yes, the Crannogmen generally have dark hair and green eyes also. 

Archived