Did Maegor die after/at the trial by seven?

aadam13

http://racefortheironthrone.tumblr.com/post/131264925916/hi-i-know-were-working-off-little-information

My first post so sorry if its not that good.

So the theory is that Maegor died or died soon after the trail by seven, and Visenya stopped anyone from finding out and employed Alys Harroway to get Tyanna of the Tower so that she could help her resurrect Maegor. This explains Maegor's single minded goal of destroying the faith militant without negotiating (and those who say he was never gonna to negotiate, let me remind you that the trial by seven was an attempt to negotiate).

Evidence:

• Visenya and Tynna were both said to practice the dark arts
  • The coma lasted a month which is quite long and possibly longer than was possible in medieval times 
  • Maegor attack the sept of remembrance without even asking if they had stopped attacking
  • Maegor was previously willing to negotiate before but not now

I think this is yet another one of GRRM's historical rip offs (I mean that with 100% love, and even he admits it.) I think Maegor is supposed to remind us of a few different historical figures, but the coma thing reminds me of Caligula.

There are only 2 more books, and GRRM is going to have to explain all the major questions, plus how everyone is actually someone else and also Targaryens.

I doubt if "weekend at Maegor's" is going to be revealed...

3 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I think this is yet another one of GRRM's historical rip offs (I mean that with 100% love, and even he admits it.) I think Maegor is supposed to remind us of a few different historical figures, but the coma thing reminds me of Caligula.

There are only 2 more books, and GRRM is going to have to explain all the major questions, plus how everyone is actually someone else and also Targaryens.

I doubt if "weekend at Maegor's" is going to be revealed...

Info on Maegor's reign (and any further info on this coma, if what the OP speculates has any truth to it) would probably not come from the main series. Anything new we learns is likely to come from Fire and Blood, which is the history of the Targaryens GRRM hopes to write when the series is finished. Some of the WOIAF book  are abridged versions of this, as George already has quite a bit of historical stuff for ASOIAF written. He has also done a reading of "Sons of the Dragon" about Maegor and Aenys which would appear in Fire and Blood. Don't recall how much of their reigns that covered though.

As for the OP's idea itself, it doesn't sound too implausible, and would be reminiscent of Qyburn and Robert Strong. I tend to think it is just the case that Maegor was saved by skilled magic/healing, but that he was resurrected is certainly possible

The Caligula parallel doesn't hold much water because Maegor was already a sadistic prior to that. And nobody seems to attribute his cruelty/madness to this incident.

In general I'm more inclined to believe that Maegor was just unconscious but perhaps without no chance to ever regain consciousness again. We once had a longer version of that passage from one of those old samples of the books years ago. Unfortunately it started in the middle of the sentence but it indicated that Visenya was away for a time and then came back with Alys and Tyanna and then dismissed all Maegor's maesters and healers and gave him exclusively to Tyanna's care. That suggests to me that he couldn't have been dead or else the news would have inevitably spread.

Not to mention that those people who knew he was dead would have denounced him as a demon and a monster thereafter, and as far as we know nothing of this sort happened.

On 17/6/2016 at 3:21 PM, aadam13 said:

(and those who say he was never gonna to negotiate, let me remind you that the trial by seven was an attempt to negotiate).

He could had become relentless only after his injury. After all a life threatening event could change someone’s view about something.

Archived