Match day 8: Italy/Sweden, Czech Republic/Croatia, Spain/Turkey

Just finished watching the recording of Czech Republic - Croatia.

As a recent supporter of the Czechs, I have to applaud the Croatian fans for fucking up the game for their team.

As just a regular fan of the game, this is sad and deplorable.

Very strange end to the Croatian game.  After dominating throughout, their own fans disrupt the game and their concentration and they end up with a draw.  The broadcast here in the US was very poor.  The commentary team was very low tempo and disinterested, the crowd noise was muted -- it made the game seem less compelling than it could have been. 

Colombia v Peru was reasonably good.  I'll try to watch the Spain game tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, Altherion said:

They'll be lucky to keep the tie and not get a technical 0:3 -- the Russian and English fans were annoying, but at least they didn't succeed in disrupting the game.

No. The interruption of the game itself does not invalidate the result. The referee and the teams decided to bring this game to an end, thus the result stands. I have been to games, that were disrupted due to flares/bengal fire and fire crackers. The result stood. If the thing had hit an official, it would have been game over (FAs do have very little patience for that, to say the least). Then the referee would have aborted the game and Croatia would have lost the game.  I am not sure that hitting the steward will have the same effect. In a regular league game I would expect that the Croatian fans won't be allowed to attend a few of the upcoming games of their team and a penalty fee for the Croatian FA, and the same warning the Russians got. Your fans misbehave again, you are out. 

But the UEFA might surprise me. Anyway, my prediction stands.

Archived