Video Games: France not a WWI Nation

Werthead

Finished Uncharted 4. I have some gripes about the story and the scripted close combat mechanincs (especially how reminiscent the final "boss fight" is of the much criticised boss werewolf fights in The Order). But over all happy with the game, it was a fun experience, with perhaps a bit too much climbing that lacked any real actual challenge to it. And the epilogue gave me warm fuzzies, and I'm fine with being emotionally manipulated there at the end, because the series as a whole has been a great ride.

On 6/28/2016 at 1:56 PM, Jasta11 said:

ERE usually lasts until Attila himself gets serious. Beforehand they usually manage to hold on to Anatolia at least. 

Also, Mannfred stands trimphant over Chaos! No big epic battle this time, but several ambushes where I used superior tactics and numbers to overwhelm enemy warriors, which is very in-character for the Vamps. There was some frustration in the end as Sigvald got away and razed two of my most prosperous towns, but that's a mere setback. I like to imagine Mannfred has him chained and tortured in a way even a servant of Slaanesh would find painful, in response to this offense.

Unlike my Empire campaign, this one if still far from over yet. The northern provinces are in ruins, but the southern Empire still stands strong with 11 settlements united behinf Franz, who has secured an alliance with Bretonnia and is beating back the Skaelings. This will prove to be a very tough nut to crack when I betray the Empire, so I may expand into the ruined regions to secure more armies first.

Then, the Long Victory conditions demand I wipe out the Dwarfs, who are in a massive war with the Greenskins and seemingly winning. I really doubt I'll have the patience for this. Pretty sure destroying the Empire alone is going to take 50+ turns already anyway, then I'll have to get rid of the Brets and hope the Norscans stay put.

Yeah, VC's long campaign goals can be ridiculous.  I know they tried to make it so you didn't have to paint the map your color, but VC's goals often lead to that.  The Empire basically kept pushing west and south as it fled me, so I had to conquer all of Estalia, Tilea, Brettonia, and a good chunk of the Empire to finish them off.  The Dwarves took the entire Badlands, so I'll to purge them, and the smaller Dwarf nations eventually took a dislike to that behavior, so they had to be systematically purged too.  Right now the only factions are me, the two Norscan factions, and the Dwarves, who I'm hellmarching into oblivion as fast I can move doomstacks their way.  

Its probably not worth it.  

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Having played a bit of competitive mode in Overwatch these past couple nights, one thing has become abundantly clear: I'm shit.

:P

Have you finished your placement matches? I did all 10 last night, got placed at 50 on the dot then after 3 wins tonight I've bumped up to 52.  First win after placement did 1.5 levels, second did 0.75...third not much. Looks like movement from here will be slow.

3 hours ago, Cz-99 said:

Ori and the Blind Forest is the most beautiful game that I calmquit in.

Appears I'm shite at platformers... But I'll be back. Gonna conquer that mother-fuhrer forest like I conquered the Metro.

I loved that game. The difficulty doesn't so much "ramp" as "launch into outer space" somewhere around a third of the way through. I was not expecting it at all. Really fun though, but I got really frustrated with it at a few points. 

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Have you finished your placement matches? I did all 10 last night, got placed at 50 on the dot then after 3 wins tonight I've bumped up to 52.  First win after placement did 1.5 levels, second did 0.75...third not much. Looks like movement from here will be slow.

Yeah, I played all of them with friends. Some with a full group but we always had at least 4. I went 4/6 in placements and got put at 43. Played 2 games after placements and lost both horribly. The four games we won were extremely close and we barely squeaked out wins, the 8 we lost have all been stomps. These other groups we're getting matched against are so much better than us it's crazy :lol: 

Still, it has shown me which of the members of our group are really sore fucking losers. Time to make some adjustments. 

1 hour ago, MerenthaClone said:

Yeah, VC's long campaign goals can be ridiculous.  I know they tried to make it so you didn't have to paint the map your color, but VC's goals often lead to that.  The Empire basically kept pushing west and south as it fled me, so I had to conquer all of Estalia, Tilea, Brettonia, and a good chunk of the Empire to finish them off.  The Dwarves took the entire Badlands, so I'll to purge them, and the smaller Dwarf nations eventually took a dislike to that behavior, so they had to be systematically purged too.  Right now the only factions are me, the two Norscan factions, and the Dwarves, who I'm hellmarching into oblivion as fast I can move doomstacks their way.  

Its probably not worth it.  

The contrast with the Empire victory is pretty significant, since their Short and Long conditions are almost identical and you can win just by making friends with the rest of the Empire very easily once Chaos comes knocking and everyone loves you for fighting them. Only somewhat difficult part is dislodging the Vampires, but they're usually kept in check by nearby Provinces anyway.

The one i've heard also sucks is Dwarfs, since it's very easy to get a Grudge for an army or Lord who then wanders off to the ass end of nowhere, so you can't settle it, and the Long victory requires absolutely no Grudges in the Book.

Good news is, the game gets updated today with loads of much needed balance changes, and adds Blood Knights for the Vamps. I'm eager to test those bad boys out against the new and improved Grail Knights sometime, but their recuitment conditions are pretty hefty.

On 6/28/2016 at 9:13 PM, Ravness said:

Is it mostly just people smack-talking in the team voice chats, or has anyone actually experienced receiving hateful messages after a match? I found the Overwatch community to be pretty tame/nice compared to other team-based games I've played.

I dunno about the voice chats, I opted out of that in the settings. The text chat is usually fine, or just kinda annoying stuff revolving around 'ez' and 'rekt.' But there's been a few real toxic players, in fact I had three in one night a couple days ago, each in different matches. One kept throwing around racial slurs and how much he hated black people, one kept using gay slurs and how much he hated them, and one kept saying that everyone on his team was autistic (actually that they had 'assburgers'). All three used the '@' and '!' a lot to get around the profanity filter. I reported all three to Blizzard, no idea if any action was taken, but the whole thing soured me a lot on the community.

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

I dunno about the voice chats, I opted out of that in the settings. The text chat is usually fine, or just kinda annoying stuff revolving around 'ez' and 'rekt.' But there's been a few real toxic players, in fact I had three in one night a couple days ago, each in different matches. One kept throwing around racial slurs and how much he hated black people, one kept using gay slurs and how much he hated them, and one kept saying that everyone on his team was autistic (actually that they had 'assburgers'). All three used the '@' and '!' a lot to get around the profanity filter. I reported all three to Blizzard, no idea if any action was taken, but the whole thing soured me a lot on the community.

Unfortunately, that's par for the course for any game. It's not about whether there are such people or not but how prevalent they are. The larger/more popular games tend to have it worse in general too.

47 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Unfortunately, that's par for the course for any game. It's not about whether there are such people or not but how prevalent they are. The larger/more popular games tend to have it worse in general too.

Oh I know it; this isn't my first online rodeo. But I hadn't really encountered it in Overwatch before, so I wasn't sure if it was just happening in voice chat or if I was getting lucky, or if the community really was better.

Supposedly Blizzard has logs of all games and all chats though. So if they put the manpower to it, they can catch any bad behavior. Hopefully they do. I know they've been pretty thorough about banning people intentionally exploiting bugs at least.

3 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

The contrast with the Empire victory is pretty significant, since their Short and Long conditions are almost identical and you can win just by making friends with the rest of the Empire very easily once Chaos comes knocking and everyone loves you for fighting them. Only somewhat difficult part is dislodging the Vampires, but they're usually kept in check by nearby Provinces anyway.

The one i've heard also sucks is Dwarfs, since it's very easy to get a Grudge for an army or Lord who then wanders off to the ass end of nowhere, so you can't settle it, and the Long victory requires absolutely no Grudges in the Book.

Good news is, the game gets updated today with loads of much needed balance changes, and adds Blood Knights for the Vamps. I'm eager to test those bad boys out against the new and improved Grail Knights sometime, but their recuitment conditions are pretty hefty.

Yeah, but you're going to be building the Vamp Keep as often as possible for more/better Vampire heroes anyway, so all it does is ensure that in at least one province you're going to try to build a t4 armory instead of t3 (since formerly all it does is unlock the mediocre Black Coach.)  On paper, they look pretty damn good:  probably a match for Demigryphs and maybe even Halberd Demis.  Now that Crypt Horrors are eating a (needed) nerf, VC are going to need a shock unit and they look like they fit the bill.  Terrorgheists are great, but they're a bit different role-wise, I think.  

And yeah, the campaign length difference is really impossible to overstate.  I never looked at Bretonnia or south of mountains as the Empire.  As VC I had to conquer most of the known world and raze the mountains.

15 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

It's pretty good, albeit it does get a bit samey after a while especially if you play Campaign. I'd definitely get it at a discount, albeit I think you're late and won't get the Space Marine and Chaos fleet for free, those were given to 2 months early adopters.

Thanks, might give it a try.

There doesn't appear to be Chaos DLC, just Space Marines.

2 minutes ago, Eoin AS said:

Thanks, might give it a try.

There doesn't appear to be Chaos DLC, just Space Marines.

Errr yeah I was getting my fleets confused with Warhammer Total War, eh. The other DLC fleet is Tau and will come later on.

7 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I loved that game. The difficulty doesn't so much "ramp" as "launch into outer space" somewhere around a third of the way through. I was not expecting it at all. Really fun though, but I got really frustrated with it at a few points. 

Yeah, I played all of them with friends. Some with a full group but we always had at least 4. I went 4/6 in placements and got put at 43. Played 2 games after placements and lost both horribly. The four games we won were extremely close and we barely squeaked out wins, the 8 we lost have all been stomps. These other groups we're getting matched against are so much better than us it's crazy :lol: 

Still, it has shown me which of the members of our group are really sore fucking losers. Time to make some adjustments. 

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that either. The water escape was really somethin', but with each death I was at least able to tell what I was doing wrong. 

On 28/06/2016 at 11:50 PM, RumHam said:

Didn't Banner Saga 2 like just come out? I'm surprised to see it's xbox's free game next month. Glad I didn't pay for it. 

BS2 is brilliant, but short. I finished it off in under 7 hours, which is about 3 hour shorter than the first game. But it's so good that I overlook the shortness of it (the only two games that have ever really done that for me are Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Max Payne 2).

It's also more the case that Banner Saga is one game split in three for production and funding reasons. When combined and played as one game, it'll be something like 20-25 hours long which will be very reasonable if the quality of the third games matches or exceeds that of the first two.

Still playing Banner Saga, having way more fun than I expected I would but goddamn being Rook making me miss the easy days of Hakkon

Spoiler

Egil is dead and Oddlief is down after Onef's mutiny, the asshole - his brother-in-law stayed loyal and is more useful in a fight. I should have just killed the bugger but c'est la vie.

I don't think I'm cut out to be a refugee leader - I'm pretty sure half my decisions are the wrong ones and I keep making rookie mistakes - for example the caravan was about a day out from a settlement and had poor morale so I thought I would rest for a couple days outside given that I could buy more food with my surplus renown and that stuff tends to go down in settlements and so I'd want to have good morale in case of a fight.

But nope, place was already destroyed, no market to buy from and my caravan ended up going 3 days without food.

Yeah, I felt that the Rook parts in BS1 were the best, and exemplified what's special about the setting. Hakkon's story was mostly about going around beating down Dredges with you army of giants. Rook's story is much more complelling and is more about a fairly desperate band of survivors, with many more difficult moral choices to make.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think we are reaching the point that we need a separate Overwatch thread. Maybe a Total! Warhammer one as well.

Given the latter has had much more discussion than the former in the last few days, I don't see any reason for the "maybe" if Overwatch is still at the point of needing it :P

Archived