Video Games: France not a WWI Nation

Werthead

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm disappointed to see just how much farther they've taken the simplification.  My prot warrior doesn't even have stances at all anymore.  I would say that I probably had more abilities at level 40 in vanilla than I do at level 100.

That's ridiculous indeed. My action bars are half-empty, when they were pretty full at Vanilla.

And don't get me started on the awful class changes like shadow priests stuck in shadow form, most hunters deprived of traps, end of Aspect of the pack - great idea to make raids last longer, idiots -, and the demise of totems.

I've never been happier to rely only on WOW tokens to play once every few months and to fully stop enabling these bumbling assholes at Blizzard with real money.

I have no problem with the skills being pruned. Most of the ones that were removed were ones that sat on the far ends of my action bars never getting used anyway. 

Makes for a cleaner UI and makes it easier for someone like me who's been away from the game for a long time to relearn how to play each class/spec. Maybe makes raiding and such less exciting but I don't have the time or the inclination for that these days anyway. 

Being a filthy casual is where it's at ;) 

Funnily, it's the opposite reasoning with me.

I kind of remember how I played my guy 6 months ago, I look at my action bars and knows where various attacks are and how to use them. When half of them disappear and don't come back, and I have a couple replacements, and basically have to relearn how to play differently instead of picking up where I was, it pisses me off to no end.

If I play 2 months a year, I don't want to spend several evenings respeccing my toons and relearning how to play them, I want to be able to start where I left 6 months before, without wasting a significant portion of my game time because Blizzard nerfed and dumbed down things again.

Which is a pity because the gameplay changes are infuriating and makes me curse them and their expansion, while the new content might be quite good but is tarnished by these foolish decisions that have no relation with new areas and quests and stuff to do.

12 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

So I'm thinking about heading out and getting a PS4 game tomorrow. The PS4 is my son's machine, and he is out of town for the next month, and I thought it might be cool to try it out. I have a large Steam library (Witcher 3, Metal Solid 5, so I am looking for Sony games mostly), but I am sure there are PS4 games I'd love to delve into.

Right now I am thinking Doom or Until Dawn. I know I could get Doom on my PC, but it might be fun to play on the big TV. Also Star Wars Rogue Legacy looks like fun. Until Dawn sounds really appealing as I'm a horror buff. I love RPGs--Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game ever. I really like exploration and grinding. Anything that requires leveling up and character progression.

What are you guys liking right now? It doesn't have to be PS4 exclusive. Just throw stuff out there, I suppose.

Doom seems like a game that's much better suited for a PC than a console.  I've only played the demo (on Steam), but it's very fast-paced and thus aiming with a controller could conceivably be an issue.

As far as consoles go, I ended up selling my PS4 because I never played it and the only game I was looking forward to that I couldn't play on the PC was the new Uncharted.  I still have my Xbox One, but I haven't played a game on it in over a year.  I use it as a media center, basically, but I'm probably just going to sell it and switch over to using my Roku for that full-time.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

So what's the deal with Inscription as a profession now?  I saw that the Glyph wheel is gone.  Is it just an entirely wasted profession now?

It makes Tomes of the Clear Mind, which allow respecs on the fly. So I doubt it's ever going to be a dead professions. That's surely more useful than the fire-and-forget glyphs ever were, or the sillyness of having Incription craft weapons in Warlords.

19 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Until Dawn is good fun but it is very short. If you can rent it rather than buy it I'd recommend it. 

If you like Souls style games, Bloodborne is a no brainer. Otherwise, if you haven't played The Last of Us on PS3, get the remaster for PS4 and play it. 

Infamous: Second Son is also a lot of fun. So is Uncharted 4, but if you haven't played the first 3 it might not be as appealing. 

We have Bloodbourne--that game is great! I just finished Dark Souls 3 on Steam though, so it's difficult to jump into Bloodbourne right now. Last of Us might be worthwhile, that's a good idea, and Infamous is definitely something I'm going to look into. Uncharted 4 sounds fun, but I haven't played the first 3--though I own them. I guess that would be a future investment if I bought it, ha.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Doom seems like a game that's much better suited for a PC than a console.  I've only played the demo (on Steam), but it's very fast-paced and thus aiming with a controller could conceivably be an issue.

As far as consoles go, I ended up selling my PS4 because I never played it and the only game I was looking forward to that I couldn't play on the PC was the new Uncharted.  I still have my Xbox One, but I haven't played a game on it in over a year.  I use it as a media center, basically, but I'm probably just going to sell it and switch over to using my Roku for that full-time.

I'll save Doom for PC then.

PS4 does have FF7 remake coming. And though Until Dawn sounds short, I do still want to play that. Who knows, may it'll be really cheap.

On 16/07/2016 at 11:34 PM, Proudfeet said:

I'm getting blue screened whenever I play games. I haven't updated my driver for over a year, so guess my GPU is dying. :crying:

So, after doing some diagnostics, it seems my CPU is heating up to over 90 degrees. Is it possible that my GPU is safe even if system monitor tells me that its a "Video hardware error" with the error "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly"?

8 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

So, after doing some diagnostics, it seems my CPU is heating up to over 90 degrees. Is it possible that my GPU is safe even if system monitor tells me that its a "Video hardware error" with the error "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly"?

I can't speak to the error messages, but I did have a problem about a year ago where a layer of dust between my CPU and the fan caused my computer to crash after a few minutes of playing a game. You might want to check for that. I had to pull all the dust out with tweezers but since it's worked fine. 

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I can't speak to the error messages, but I did have a problem about a year ago where a layer of dust between my CPU and the fan caused my computer to crash after a few minutes of playing a game. You might want to check for that. I had to pull all the dust out with tweezers but since it's worked fine. 

I cleared most of the dust already. Unfortunately, it only resulted in my fan becoming quieter. I probably need new thermal paste for the heatsink at this point. My concern is if my GPU is busted or not, because I don't want to make a second trip to the store after I (hopefully) fix the issue with the CPU and it turns out the problem was the GPU all along.

Watch_Dogs continues to be an odd game. Bits of it are fun (notably, any bit which doesn't involve driving), the combat isn't too bad (but the cover system is crap) and the hacking/stealth/killing enemies from three blocks away stuff can be quite entertaining. The story is lame. And rather randomly, the game has taken an unexpected turn into outright racism of the most hackneyed kind.

Given the game's overwhelming inferiority to the other open world crime games out there, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it sold so well. There is a fair bit of promise to the game, though. Hopefully the sequel is a lot better.

Played the first episode of Life Is Strange because it was free and liked it enough to get the other episodes as they were 30% off or something.

I liked the first 3 episodes well enough, despite my initial impression that the game was going to be a series of shallow attempts at appearing deep. Now I'm generally pretty tough when it comes to emotional moments in games (as well as books and movies), enjoying the effect but not getting scarred by the experience, but the first part of the 4th episode snapped me like a twig. Despite not really being that invested in mystery part of the story and some questionable voice acting, this game managed to turn me into an emotional wreck and I was a mess at the end.

So IMO it's effective if you look past its flaws, but you may have a very different experience.

On 23/07/2016 at 10:12 AM, Simon Steele said:

We have Bloodbourne--that game is great! I just finished Dark Souls 3 on Steam though, so it's difficult to jump into Bloodbourne right now. Last of Us might be worthwhile, that's a good idea, and Infamous is definitely something I'm going to look into. Uncharted 4 sounds fun, but I haven't played the first 3--though I own them. I guess that would be a future investment if I bought it, ha.

I'll save Doom for PC then.

PS4 does have FF7 remake coming. And though Until Dawn sounds short, I do still want to play that. Who knows, may it'll be really cheap.

In theory Until Dawn is supposed to stand up to multiple plays through, since it's a branching path with multiple possible endings (on who survives). But in practice perhaps most people end up only playing through once. I know with Heavy Rain I made several "mistakes" in my first play through which meant the end was not quite the one I was aiming for. But I never gave it another go.

I think for near future reference you'll want to keep a close eye on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Horrible name, but it seems to be shaping up like a pretty epic (in scope at least) action RPG along the lines of The Witcher, with one major fault being no Gwent.

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In theory Until Dawn is supposed to stand up to multiple plays through, since it's a branching path with multiple possible endings (on who survives). But in practice perhaps most people end up only playing through once. I know with Heavy Rain I made several "mistakes" in my first play through which meant the end was not quite the one I was aiming for. But I never gave it another go.

I think for near future reference you'll want to keep a close eye on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Horrible name, but it seems to be shaping up like a pretty epic (in scope at least) action RPG along the lines of The Witcher, with one major fault being no Gwent.

I think its probably best to play Until Dawn only once. Since if you play it a second time I think you'll probably start to see the mechanics of the game a bit too clearly. Plus the main story beats never change, its just a question of which characters are there and reacting to them.

38 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think its probably best to play Until Dawn only once. Since if you play it a second time I think you'll probably start to see the mechanics of the game a bit too clearly. Plus the main story beats never change, its just a question of which characters are there and reacting to them.

I find myself only really playing through a game multiple times if the gameplay experience is going to be reasonably different. So RPGs with classes that play quite differently are most of what gets more than one play from me. 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I find myself only really playing through a game multiple times if the gameplay experience is going to be reasonably different. So RPGs with classes that play quite differently are most of what gets more than one play from me. 

Same. Story differences are cool, but gameplay differences are what make me replay a game.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

For me, I only replay games if the story can change a lot or is just so good that I want to experience it again. Or its a nostalgia trip, replaying something old*. Having the gameplay change each playthrough just isn't as important to me. I'll take advantage of it usually, I use different classes on replays of Mass Effect and Dragon Age for instance; but its not a main consideration.

*Or its a strategy game, but those are a different category entirely.

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I played through Until Dawn twice.  The first time was a normal, I'll get whatever I get type of playthru.  The second time I decided to choose all of the negative/hostile/selfish options.  The main story was more or less the same, but it did change the way I percieved some of the characters.  For example, I hated Jess on my first time through, but ended up feeling much more sympathetic toward her in my "total asshole" playthru.  It was enough to make my second time almost as enjoyable as the first, minus some lost tension for knowing what's going to happen.

I was in no hurry for a 3rd trip, though I do feel like I would want to at some point in the future.  But I traded anyway, while it would still get a decent return.  I figure by the time I want to play it again it'll be a PS+ freebie, or dirt cheap on a clearance somewhere.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'll definitely check that one out--sometimes games have awful titles until you play them, I suppose. Mass Effect did nothing for me back when I picked it up, but now? That title MEANS EVERYTHING to me!

14 hours ago, Fez said:

As for Until Dawn, I went ahead and picked it up with Infamous and Dragon Quest Heroes. I got all three for like 50 bucks, so I couldn't resist. I mean, Dragon Quest in Dynasty Warriors style? What the?

But I beat Until Dawn in about 2 days as you all predicted. And I saw the mechanics failing on the first playthrough unfortunately. I didn't care for it nearly as much as I hoped, and I am a huge horror knuckle head. Since it is so predicated on story, I'll tag my observations:

Spoiler

First, the whole concept of surviving in a horror movie is a cool idea I've always loved. Until Dawn had me at that premise, but when the "survival" often comes down to two equally dumb decisions without consideration for better alternatives then the premise is really flawed. I get the mechanics I am looking for are difficult, but consider this scenario. I was playing as Ashley. She is like "maybe we should like cover this manhole back up so Wendigos don't follow us." And her friends Sam and Emily are like "yeah whatever, catch up." What? You can't wait four seconds? Okay, so Ashley covers the manhole and is hopelessly behind her friends.

Now the decision you make is to investigate strange noises that might be your friend Jess (who the game cleverly reveals is alive after all), or to rejoin the group. Of course in real life, your friends are like four seconds ahead. So what about decision three? Conferring with your friends? Or going and checking out the bumping trapdoor (that will kill you if you open it) and listening, and investigating just as you investigate everything else in this game? I felt that is pretty cheap. I got Ashley killed there. Whatever.

Worse? No one ever mentions it! Where's Ashley? Why didn't she catch up? Is she dead? Nothing!

Earlier I got Matt killed by panicking and attacking deer and falling off a cliff. Emily was really sad about that. But here is where the mechanics of the game broke down. Emily looks over the cliff, sees his dead body get dragged away by a monster. She knows he's dead. Then later, I guess he wasn't supposed to die there because Emily starts acting like they were only separated. She never acknowledges he died.

These issues really bugged me. The game is entirely about this. It should be much cleaner. If another one gets made I hope they can fix some of this stuff. And allow us to skip the bad dialogue so I might WANT to play through it again.

Ah well, Infamous and Dragon Quest, here I come.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Reveal hidden contents

First, the whole concept of surviving in a horror movie is a cool idea I've always loved. Until Dawn had me at that premise, but when the "survival" often comes down to two equally dumb decisions without consideration for better alternatives then the premise is really flawed. I get the mechanics I am looking for are difficult, but consider this scenario. I was playing as Ashley. She is like "maybe we should like cover this manhole back up so Wendigos don't follow us." And her friends Sam and Emily are like "yeah whatever, catch up." What? You can't wait four seconds? Okay, so Ashley covers the manhole and is hopelessly behind her friends.

Now the decision you make is to investigate strange noises that might be your friend Jess (who the game cleverly reveals is alive after all), or to rejoin the group. Of course in real life, your friends are like four seconds ahead. So what about decision three? Conferring with your friends? Or going and checking out the bumping trapdoor (that will kill you if you open it) and listening, and investigating just as you investigate everything else in this game? I felt that is pretty cheap. I got Ashley killed there. Whatever.

Worse? No one ever mentions it! Where's Ashley? Why didn't she catch up? Is she dead? Nothing!

Earlier I got Matt killed by panicking and attacking deer and falling off a cliff. Emily was really sad about that. But here is where the mechanics of the game broke down. Emily looks over the cliff, sees his dead body get dragged away by a monster. She knows he's dead. Then later, I guess he wasn't supposed to die there because Emily starts acting like they were only separated. She never acknowledges he died.

These issues really bugged me. The game is entirely about this. It should be much cleaner. If another one gets made I hope they can fix some of this stuff. And allow us to skip the bad dialogue so I might WANT to play through it again.

Ah well, Infamous and Dragon Quest, here I come.

Did you play the PS3 inFamous games? I liked Second Son well enough, but for me the PS3 games were better pretty much all ways aside from visuals. I still played through Second Son twice to get both the good and evil stories. There's not all that much real difference in the course of the story or the differences in powers, but the ending is completely different. Also Seattle feels pretty empty compared to how much city life they put into New Marais in inFamous 2. With inFamous 2 the ice and fire powers are so different is changes the way you play. But with Second Son, because your powers are identical the differences are just variations on the same theme.

47 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Did you play the PS3 inFamous games? I liked Second Son well enough, but for me the PS3 games were better pretty much all ways aside from visuals. I still played through Second Son twice to get both the good and evil stories. There's not all that much real difference in the course of the story or the differences in powers, but the ending is completely different. Also Seattle feels pretty empty compared to how much city life they put into New Marais in inFamous 2. With inFamous 2 the ice and fire powers are so different is changes the way you play. But with Second Son, because your powers are identical the differences are just variations on the same theme.

I never did play it, to be honest. Might be I go back and try those. We came to the PS3 late in the game. Maybe it's good I'm going with Second Son first.

Archived