Video Games: France not a WWI Nation

Werthead

Battlefield I will ship with options to create soldiers from Britain, Austria-Hungary, Italy, Germany and the Ottoman Empire, as well as Americans (presumably who'll show up for 5 minutes at the end). It will not ship with France or Russian options because, erm, reasons. But good news! You'll be able to get France as DLC.

It's worth noting that the overwhelming majority of the territorial changes of the First World War before the end involved Russian and French soil and, those nations suffered the second and third-highest casualty levels after Germany.

French soldiers will show up in the SP campaign, apparently. Weird.

The most disappointing part of Battlefield 1 to me is the overabundance of automatic weapons and the apparent lack of bolt action for everyone other than the sniper class. Not that I expect realism from a Battlefield game, but somehow it still disappoints me.

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Battlefield I will ship with options to create soldiers from Britain, Austria-Hungary, Italy, Germany and the Ottoman Empire, as well as Americans (presumably who'll show up for 5 minutes at the end). It will not ship with France or Russian options because, erm, reasons. But good news! You'll be able to get France as DLC.

It's worth noting that the overwhelming majority of the territorial changes of the First World War before the end involved Russian and French soil and, those nations suffered the second and third-highest casualty levels after Germany.

French soldiers will show up in the SP campaign, apparently. Weird.

Probably get flack for having characters without shoes and carrying sticks from Russia.

Yeah, I found that rather curious. 

Then I figured it was because they wanted to portray the whole ''world war'' thing, so they wanted Austria-Hungary, Italy, the Ottomans, nations that rarely show up in any media related to WW1. The Germans were of course a given, and target audience means that we must have British and American soldiers. So that's less space for France and Russia.

1 hour ago, Jasta11 said:

Yeah, I found that rather curious. 

Then I figured it was because they wanted to portray the whole ''world war'' thing, so they wanted Austria-Hungary, Italy, the Ottomans, nations that rarely show up in any media related to WW1. The Germans were of course a given, and target audience means that we must have British and American soldiers. So that's less space for France and Russia.

Are we thinking that they are going to lowball the fact that the United States was using a lot of French equipment and also the fact they were hardly in it? I mean, their presence was arguably decisive, but it's hard to ignore the fact that for well over 75% of the war they played absolutely zero role in it.

CoD has always been an arcadey take on historical warfare, but they did get a lot of plaudits for having the Russians in CoD 1 and 2 and highlighting how vital they were to the war effort, so it's very strange for their rivals to suddenly doing something so astronomically ahistorical.

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Are we thinking that they are going to lowball the fact that the United States was using a lot of French equipment and also the fact they were hardly in it? I mean, their presence was arguably decisive, but it's hard to ignore the fact that for well over 75% of the war they played absolutely zero role in it.

CoD has always been an arcadey take on historical warfare, but they did get a lot of plaudits for having the Russians in CoD 1 and 2 and highlighting how vital they were to the war effort, so it's very strange to suddenly doing something so astronomically ahistorical.

If the way America's role is oversold in WW2 (Euro Theater) fiction is anything to go by...yes. That's exactly what they're going to do :P 

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

CoD has always been an arcadey take on historical warfare, but they did get a lot of plaudits for having the Russians in CoD 1 and 2 and highlighting how vital they were to the war effort, so it's very strange for their rivals to suddenly doing something so astronomically ahistorical.

I'd wager that as far as the general American public is concerned, the French and British were getting their collective asses kicked until Uncle Same descended from the heavens to fry the Krauts with blasts of pure freedom. So at this point I'd say we're lucky they remembered the Austro-Italian front at all, let alone the Ottomans.

Of course, personally I'd much rather have France take the place of the US army. But I'm betting the campaign is from an American perspective since, as I said, target audience. Hopefully, however, they pull a Call of Duty and have multiple campaigns representing multiple nations. Hell, why not play as a German, since this time around the whole Nazi business isn't present.

1 hour ago, Jasta11 said:

I'd wager that as far as the general American public is concerned, the French and British were getting their collective asses kicked until Uncle Same descended from the heavens to fry the Krauts with blasts of pure freedom. So at this point I'd say we're lucky they remembered the Austro-Italian front at all, let alone the Ottomans.

Of course, personally I'd much rather have France take the place of the US army. But I'm betting the campaign is from an American perspective since, as I said, target audience. Hopefully, however, they pull a Call of Duty and have multiple campaigns representing multiple nations. Hell, why not play as a German, since this time around the whole Nazi business isn't present.

This. 

I believe if French soldiers were added, most Americans would be confused to learn that, in fact, they were not rifle droppers.

9 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

That's gonna be a short campaign.

7 hours ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

This. 

I believe if French soldiers were added, most Americans would be confused to learn that, in fact, they were not rifle droppers.

It is really weird, you'd think there'd be more respect for the country that is the reason America exists.

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I'm done checking my winning percentage for Overwatch. Its not accurate. I know this because I have currently 2% as Bastion and 10% as Winston. I don't play enough games with them to get those percentages. 

I'm pretty sure the percentages get weird because of how hero switching in-match works. A win where you only played as that character for a minute doesn't count as much as a loss where you played that character the entire match.

E.g. if you played four games as Winston, two losses where you were him the entire time, one loss where you were him a bit under half the time, and one win where you were him for about a quarter of the time, it'd probably work out to around 10%. And even if that math is way off, the principle holds.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'd say the chances are pretty damn high that you are playing an American volunteer fighting for the French on that front, I'd almost guarantee it. 

EDIT:  Or Belgians or something of that sort. Similar to Young Indiana Jones

On 2016-06-18 at 0:17 PM, Proudfeet said:

I'm done checking my winning percentage for Overwatch. Its not accurate. I know this because I have currently 2% as Bastion and 10% as Winston. I don't play enough games with them to get those percentages. 

Where are you checking it? Inside the game itself or via something like Master Overwatch? Generally, the statistics for characters you've played less than a few hours won't mean as much, or if you, as Fez said, swap out late and/or when you are about to win/lose. I have great win stats with soldier 76, but since I played a whopping 50min on that char in total, it's basically meaningless.

I've tried to practice more with Mei, but sometimes there are just too many counters (teams with junkrats, pharahs and snipers) so you basically res and get gibbed, res and get gibbed, rinse repeat. And then it's better to swap. I have stuck it out on quite a few occasions since I felt it doesn't matter much anyway, but if the game is close, I'll swap.

Tis annoying tho that even if you play a couple of close games, and you feel that regardless of win/loss it was still good and could have gone either way, you either get matched against a potato team which you ROFLstomp, or if you scraped a win, then you get the potato team next time. It's a bit sad. I wish the game would check not just win/loss, but also how long it took to win, for instance, cos a long hard fought game normally means fairly balanced teams, while a super stomp just means total mismatch.

Have you guys encountered any hackers/aimbotters? I've seem some junkrats before who in the killcams had their aim "snap" to target in an extremely suspicious way, not to mention they kept C4 jumping and one-shotting people above them with perfect aim (junkrat is great for spamming stuff below him, but above him?), but that was only once. Apart from that we haven't seen much dodgy stuff, but then yesterday we had a really, really weird Ghenji who seemed to have 100% headshot aim, he two-shot me on Zarya and kept "snapping" to targets. It may just be that this dude was super-amazing, but there is also a chance he had something assist him. I've been up against some absolutely amazing Ghenjis that just bounced around and ROFLstomped on everyone and everything, but this dude didn't have that sort of mobility at all that I've come to expect from the good Ghenjis, he just....headshot, 100% of the time.

4 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Where are you checking it? Inside the game itself or via something like Master Overwatch? Generally, the statistics for characters you've played less than a few hours won't mean as much, or if you, as Fez said, swap out late and/or when you are about to win/lose. I have great win stats with soldier 76, but since I played a whopping 50min on that char in total, it's basically meaningless.

You can check all that stuff under your Career Profile in game. Go to the Statistics tab and there's a dropdown menu where you can pick which hero to display stats for ('All Heroes' is default) and it'll show your win percentage with that hero. I found out I have an 80% winrate with Lucio. Clearly I need to play him more. 

Regarding hackers, I haven't personally encountered any (that I could tell anyways) but I know there are aimbots and wallhacks and such available already. That's one of the cons of PC unfortunately. 

Also I've been playing a lot more Symmetra lately. I take back everything I said about her being underwhelming. I still think her shields need a change/buff, but she is so awesome on the right map. 

Finally, here's the best play I'll ever make in this game (very skillful pressing of 'Q' on my part): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zcD-6-Abs

I guess I've been out of the loop, but I had no idea that the Stick of Truth had a sequel coming up.  :dunno: 

South Park The Fractured But Whole

It picks up the day after SoT and the boys have moved on from playing medieval fantasy to playing superheroes and splits the sides a la Civil War.  Cartman leads "Coon and Friends"  :lol: 

Stick of Truth was the best licensed game I've ever played and I will get this game on day one with no reservations.

Archived