"Fletcher"???? (SPOILERS)

[Deleted]

Before the season began, there was a casting call for a character named "Fletcher", who was described like so:

Spoiler

“Fletcher”:  He is a fat nobleman in his 60’s. He has distinctive rugged features, a Northern accent, and a distinguished air. Our source says he has a stirring speech during which he unexpectedly shifts political allegiances.

The actor is only expected to shoot for one day- the same day as the above role, on December 16th, in Northern Ireland.

He is speculated to be

Spoiler

Wyman Manderly

but so far, has not made an appearance yet. It would'tn make much sense for him to give a speech and switch political allegiances if he hasn't even announced what those political allegiances are yet. They have mentioned his House several times, so it makes sense he'd eventually make an appearance, but I feel like it's really going to lose some impact if he just shows up and says "Well, I used to feel this way, now I feel this way!" How are we supposed to care?

Or.... Have we already met him? Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, The Chequered Raven said:

Yes, sounds like Lord to fat to sit a horse.

As we haven`t seen him up to now, my best guess would be he will have a scene in the last episode, maybe in Winterfell with all the Lords of the North declaring Jon the new King in the North.

I was hoping it wouldn't happen that way. Otherwise, why are we supposed to care that he's switching political allegiances?

I also saw another form of this casting call (can't find it now) which said "Fletcher may not be his real name". Again, if he shows up and says "Hai guyz, I'm "Fletcher", LOL!", gives his speech, then says "SURPRISE, MOFOS! I'm actually............!" The audience at home would just give a collective shrug since they've only heard his House mentioned sporadically throughout the season.

Dunno, just seems like a huge waste.

3 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

House Glover most like. As mentioned above House Manderly means dick to the t.v. audience. A variation on Wylla Manderlys speech could be delivered by Lyanna Mormont. 

Didn't we already meet Glover?

On 18 June 2016 at 6:28 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:

I was hoping it wouldn't happen that way. Otherwise, why are we supposed to care that he's switching political allegiances?

I also saw another form of this casting call (can't find it now) which said "Fletcher may not be his real name". Again, if he shows up and says "Hai guyz, I'm "Fletcher", LOL!", gives his speech, then says "SURPRISE, MOFOS! I'm actually............!" The audience at home would just give a collective shrug since they've only heard his House mentioned sporadically throughout the season.

Dunno, just seems like a huge waste.

To the best of my knowledge most shows that are adaptations scarcely use the actual character names in casting calls.

It's tough to see where they'd slot this Fletcher character in. My best guess would be Jon/Sansa/Fletcher mirroring Robb/Catelyn/Greatjon from an earlier season. I suppose there's also an outside chance he'd have something to do with the Frey/Lannister meet-up. I doubt he's been excised from the season altogether though; the showrunners probably need the entire season's storylines in place from the beginning, because of the cost of shooting if nothing else.

4 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

House Glover most like. As mentioned above House Manderly means dick to the t.v. audience. A variation on Wylla Manderlys speech could be delivered by Lyanna Mormont. 

Wylla Manderly was a green haired punk girl. No one paid any attention to her rantings other than being embarrassed by them.

Frey pie is served up at Winterfell (book), not at The Twins (show). Lord Too-Fat goes to Winterfell to play his part in the GNC and show Roose Bolton that he's 'loyal'. Why would Wyman show up at The Twins in the show and be admitted?

I'm happy for Frey pie to be omitted so long as Walder Frey's death is satisfying and I honestly believe Arya will be the one to do the deed.

As for that music - thanks for the link - that sounds like a Dany ending. My guess is departing Essos with the Greyjoy fleet. Doubtful that it's a Jon Targaryen reveal.

This is one of those show-condensing things.  "Fletcher" is no doubt Manderly, but he plays zero part in the show.  But in the interest of "gathering all the noble houses of the North"...he has to appear during Jons inauguration as King of the North.  Sooo....here you go.  He'll appear for this one episode, make a speech and declare for Jon, and that'll be the last time we see him.

Lets not over-think the TV Show people.  Remember, they are very streamlined and they cut out 90% of the shows plot lines.  The fact Rickon was with the Umbers is proof that all-things-Manderly have been axed from this show.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:15 PM, the tower of albion said:

That's not fair. His son WAS at the Red Wedding in the show. I think the show runners tend to dumb stuff down for the "sex, bangs and explosions" crowd they've been pandering to lately, but that doesn't make them stupid either. A one liner of "my son, who died at the Red Wedding" is more than enough introduction at this point to anyone paying more attention to the story than "Hurr dat Jon guy used his big sward."

They changed his name to Fletcher to avoid leaks and people spoiling castings, they have been doing this a lot.

Manderly is appearing next episode. Period. If certain someone gets crowned King in the North, the richest family of the region gotta be present.

Archived