Mother Have Mercy

Summer

This was the first time it hit me how tough GRRM is on his mothers.

In a more 'classic' story, Catelyn Stark and her children would shine, whilst Cersei Lannister and her brood would, well... brood I suppose.

And yet, here we are with a stern message that be you loving and 'normal' or loving and 'crazy' - motherhood is not easy and not necessarily rewarded.

If anything, this episode almost made me feel sorry for Cersei; and got me asking myself whether just like in the novels, GRRM was taking us on another journey to never judge a book by it's first 3 millionth page (and turn yet another despised Lannister into a oh poor little Lannister yes I forgive you..)

Mother Have Mercy

The scene between Edmure and Jaime was brilliant because we see Jaime, of all people, point out the similarities between two women who otherwise seem quite different from one another.  

Obviously Edmure is infuriated by the mere suggestion that his sister shared any traits with Cersei, calling Jaime a madman for even mentioning them in the same sentence.  Jaime's observation, however, highlights just one of the ways in which characters who initially appear on opposite sides of a physical and moral conflict are often more similar than they are capable of realizing themselves.

If we can find sympathy for Cersei Lannister in our hearts, perhaps we can exercise a little more understanding with the... ahem... difficult personalities we encounter in our own daily lives (or, y'know, we could always burn their cities to ash instead or launch their children from catapults).

Archived