Tyrion's Debt (SPOILERS!)

The Lash

Since Tyrion signed all those contracts for Brown Ben (Ben's was like for 100,000 dragons and huge tracts of land), do you think he will have to cough all that gold and land up actually?  Or do you think it will become a non issue? I love the fact he signed in his own blood and as the Lord of Casterly Rock.

Even if Brown Ben dies, it would be in keeping with Tyrion's character to make good on his word and give serious ££ to those men who were left (look at Mord).  With Jaime unable to inherit he's bound to become Lord of Casterly Rock eventually.

For all his hatred of his immediate family he's still proud to be a Lannister, and you know what they say about them...

27 minutes ago, Dukhasinov said:

He doesn`t have to pay those debts from the holdings of Casterly Rock. He can carve up the lands and wealth of Lords who stand against Danny.

Could be she might help him in this reguard, if they truly can be swung to her side and actually stay there.  A lot of stuff would have to go right for Dany......she would also in effect let him claim The Rock as his birthright.  

In the Books The Rock is still producing gold and the Lannisters are not living off the crown like in the show.  Also the crown owes a few million dragons (I think) to the Lannisters.  I think the crowns debt is mainly to the IB first, then the Lannisters.  

Also, the pharase ''A Lannister always pays his debts" kind of got me to thinking about it.  I think Tyrion will honor the contracts to whoever is left alive if they don't try to screw him or Dany over.  

Also, since Tyrion knows Jon and has developed a kind of friendship with him, and if he gets to Dany before or about the time the R+L=J bomb gets dropped, he could help solidify that relationship before she actually meets Jon.

17 hours ago, The Lash said:

Since Tyrion signed all those contracts for Brown Ben (Ben's was like for 100,000 dragons and huge tracts of land), do you think he will have to cough all that gold and land up actually?  Or do you think it will become a non issue? I love the fact he signed in his own blood and as the Lord of Casterly Rock.

I think it might become a non iussue (because Brown Ben dies or for other reasons).

In any case, either Tyrion dies or survives as a rich person (unless we get some unlikely soap opera scenario like 'he vanishes like Gerion is presumed dead  and lives in a small cottage and creates his own wine'), so he should be able to pay his debts easily. Besides the Lannisters' gold, if he is on the winning side at the end of the war (be it Daenery's or whoever else) he'd get more. I'm also curious about Penny's "grand gift"...if she was given this grand gift, she dies or for some other reason she leaves it to Tyrion, then it might be something of great value... if it's something not metaphorically 'grand' - as freedom or some info/secret - but simply rare/expensivevaluableinthewar (like dragon eggs, a v.steel, rare book, etc)

34 minutes ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

I think it might become a non iussue (because Brown Ben dies or for other reasons).

In any case, either Tyrion dies or survives as a rich person (unless we get some unlikely soap opera scenario like 'he vanishes like Gerion is presumed dead  and lives in a small cottage and creates his own wine'), so he should be able to pay his debts easily. Besides the Lannisters' gold, if he is on the winning side at the end of the war (be it Daenery's or whoever else) he'd get more. I'm also curious about Penny's "grand gift"...if she was given this grand gift, she dies or for some other reason she leaves it to Tyrion, then it might be something of great value... if it's something not metaphorically 'grand' - as freedom or some info/secret - but simply rare/expensivevaluableinthewar (like dragon eggs, a v.steel, rare book, etc)

Thank you.  That is going to be driving me frickin" insane wondering what the hell the gift is til I find out.  I had forgotten about it.  I looked at some archives, one guy thought it might be an iron coin.  I don't see that, being Penny really don't have the makings of a faceless man, and also a FM did not give it to her but The Sealord of Braavos gave her the gift.  But hey, maybe she is the greatest FM in history, no one would ever suspect her lol.  Someone will surely have the makings of a really flaky tinfoil theory here lol.

What do you think it most probably is?  

23 hours ago, The Lash said:

Thank you.  That is going to be driving me frickin" insane wondering what the hell the gift is til I find out.  I had forgotten about it.  I looked at some archives, one guy thought it might be an iron coin.  I don't see that, being Penny really don't have the makings of a faceless man, and also a FM did not give it to her but The Sealord of Braavos gave her the gift.  But hey, maybe she is the greatest FM in history, no one would ever suspect her lol.  Someone will surely have the makings of a really flaky tinfoil theory here lol.

What do you think it most probably is?  

That's hard to say. I've heard different theories but honestly, it's more 'speculation' at this point, I don't think we were given enough to make a truly well argumented guess, if somebody gets it right, it's more out of luck than anything else. 

I honestly have no idea.

When I first read it, I thought it was either:

(i) misdirection (just something 'grand' for her but not objectively) / irrelevant (like a huge bait we would follow);

(ii) freedom (he sealords always opposed slavery, so one might suggest he gave Penny and her family their freedom: that would be the most obvious answer).

Still, thinking again about it, of course it might be many other things as well.

First of all, we don't know what to make of her being hesitant when telling about it and being vague (is she humble? is she not trusting Tyrion enough? was she told by her father it was 'a grand gift' and so she protects it and describes it as 'grand 'but she is unable to see its value / doesn't know what it is?)

Also, she said the sea lord gave a gift to each of them.. and they were three.  We don't know if 'three' was relevant in itself (like it was 3 dragon eggs) or if it wasn't but it is now in a way because she carries also his father and her brother's gifts or has access to them (for example if they were given a key each to the same vault, now Penny with her key could open it).

So it's hardly possible to be sure of anything in this context.

Oberyn Martell travelled to Braavos once so it might be something he gave / said to the Sealord; Syrio Forel has been first sword in Bravoos so one might think about some weapon; the current Sealord  owns pleasure barge decorated with laughing faces, so who knows what kind of people you can meet there and what kind of secrets you can find out there; some people suggested dragon eggs but I don't know, we don't know the circumstances but it seems too much as a gift, even if a 'grand' one; others suggested that Bravoos keyholders may be tied to the Iron Bank of Braavos, so maybe Penny and co. were given the key of a vault and now she owns a vault whose contents are somehow relevant; others suggested  the "gift" was enlisting the FM to kill their father because FM call their craft "giving the gift" to men and Penny's father was ill/suffering; and i've heard other theories as well. If Tyrion got to have access fo a FM coin through Penny (some people speculated that she's called 'penny' because the gift is a 'coin'), that would be very useful to him because he is in a dangerous position (wanted for murder).

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:41 PM, The Lash said:

Could be she might help him in this reguard, if they truly can be swung to her side and actually stay there.  A lot of stuff would have to go right for Dany......she would also in effect let him claim The Rock as his birthright.  

In the Books The Rock is still producing gold and the Lannisters are not living off the crown like in the show.  Also the crown owes a few million dragons (I think) to the Lannisters.  I think the crowns debt is mainly to the IB first, then the Lannisters.  

Also, the pharase ''A Lannister always pays his debts" kind of got me to thinking about it.  I think Tyrion will honor the contracts to whoever is left alive if they don't try to screw him or Dany over.  

Also, since Tyrion knows Jon and has developed a kind of friendship with him, and if he gets to Dany before or about the time the R+L=J bomb gets dropped, he could help solidify that relationship before she actually meets Jon.

At the start of the books when Ned arrives in KL the debt is 6 million gold dragons, half of which is to the Lannisters.  The faith held almost a million, we get the amount because the High Septon forgives it in exchange for re-establishing the faith militant.  The other 2 million is divided up between the Tyrells, Tyroshi merchants, the IB, and "other wealthy lords"  Given that the 2 million is split up among a bunch of people/organizations, I think we can likely cap that debt at 1 million and say it is probably much less.

Archived