Red Wedding 2.0?

Tana Snow

22 minutes ago, Nakraal said:

I can see a RW 2.0 organized by Jaime against the Freys. Jaime might have traded the Freys for Tullys as allies and rulers of the Trident. There seems to be something more to his deal with Edmure, when he surrendered Riverrun.

That would be rather entertaining.

Jamie promises revenge on the Freys in exchange for him yeilding the castle.   

The Freys all get slaughtered by Jamies men after the toast?

If something shady does happen then I hope it's Edmure/Jaime doing the conspiring rather than anything else.

It doesn't have to be murdering all the Frey's either, just a fallout over the fate of Edmure (who the Frey's will want dead). 

It is a tasty looking scene, but it could be as simple as showing the Lannisters and Freys discovering that the Boltons have fallen and that Starks have returned. The reunification of the north and their alliance with the Vale would put a dampener on their celebrations.

6 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

If something shady does happen then I hope it's Edmure/Jaime doing the conspiring rather than anything else.

It doesn't have to be murdering all the Frey's either, just a fallout over the fate of Edmure (who the Frey's will want dead). 

It's really not Jaime's style to act treacherously. It would have to be the BWBs, with our without Arya.

If a revenge wedding happens I think it'd probably be the BwB pretending to be entertainers. That's what is pretty much hinted in the book. With all the changes to Jaime's arc, I personally, don't know how a scenario like this would play out but I tend to think he still has a purpose back in KL. 

11 hours ago, chasing the dragons said:

Aside from some issues to be worked out,(how she gets there, how she knows where to go, how she gets all that poison) Arya meeting Hot Pie again in the kitchen, donning a face and helping with the poison would be cool.

Occam's razor: Walder Frey is on her (now, very short) list. She's been to the Twins before (during Red Wedding 1.0) and at this point I think the show's established that Walder Frey never leaves his castle. As far as she knows he's still alive, and the Twins is much closer to Winterfell ("I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell, and I'm going home") than King's Landing, where the other characters on her list presently preside. For her to go straight to the Twins to kill Walder Frey on her way home to Winterfell is logical. I think the Wedding/Feast/Victory Celebration (probably the latter) is just happenstance.

8 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Mark Mylod thankfully isn't directing Episode 10, so I'm interpreting his answer as irrelevant. Yes, he did direct the majority of the Riverlands plot, which thus far has seemed like a giant waste of time, but he wouldn't necessarily have to be privy to all of the season's plot twists (especially super secretive ones potentially filmed on closed sets in episodes he's not directing). 

Almost nothing in this season has frustrated me more than the Riverrun plotline. Sure, Arya's stabbing/parkour plot was illogical and underdeveloped, but the Riverrun arc has thus far been totally pointless. Why bring the Blackfish back only to not use him for any greater purpose, kill him off promptly, and return the Riverrun to exactly where it was if none of that happened (i.e., the hands of the Frey's)? Was it just so Jaime and Brienne can get another reunion? As fun as all that was, it makes no narrative sense unless one of them is about to die and the writers have to get in one last emotional moment. At least in the books the whole "siege" of Riverrun served to connect Jaime, Brienne, and Lady Stoneheart's arcs. At this point I believe the only thing that could possibly redeem this colossally pointless plotline is the death of a major character. Walder Frey, Jaime, and Brienne are the best candidates, and while I'm sure Arya is in fact going to cross Walder off her list next episode, I've also not ruled out Lady Stoneheart just yet.

45 minutes ago, WitchHazel said:

Occam's razor: Walder Frey is on her (now, very short) list. She's been to the Twins before (during Red Wedding 1.0) and at this point I think the show's established that Walder Frey never leaves his castle. As far as she knows he's still alive, and the Twins is much closer to Winterfell ("I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell, and I'm going home") than King's Landing, where the other characters on her list presently preside. For her to go straight to the Twins to kill Walder Frey on her way home to Winterfell is logical. I think the Wedding/Feast/Victory Celebration (probably the latter) is just happenstance.

Mark Mylod thankfully isn't directing Episode 10, so I'm interpreting his answer as irrelevant. Yes, he did direct the majority of the Riverlands plot, which thus far has seemed like a giant waste of time, but he wouldn't necessarily have to be privy to all of the season's plot twists (especially super secretive ones potentially filmed on closed sets in episodes he's not directing). 

Almost nothing in this season has frustrated me more than the Riverrun plotline. Sure, Arya's stabbing/parkour plot was illogical and underdeveloped, but the Riverrun arc has thus far been totally pointless. Why bring the Blackfish back only to not use him for any greater purpose, kill him off promptly, and return the Riverrun to exactly where it was if none of that happened (i.e., the hands of the Frey's)? Was it just so Jaime and Brienne can get another reunion? As fun as all that was, it makes no narrative sense unless one of them is about to die and the writers have to get in one last emotional moment. At least in the books the whole "siege" of Riverrun served to connect Jaime, Brienne, and Lady Stoneheart's arcs. At this point I believe the only thing that could possibly redeem this colossally pointless plotline is the death of a major character. Walder Frey, Jaime, and Brienne are the best candidates, and while I'm sure Arya is in fact going to cross Walder off her list next episode, I've also not ruled out Lady Stoneheart just yet.

The Dorne plotline amounted to exactly nothing, Varys is going there now and Doran could've just as easily aligned with Dany as the sand snakes can, so the RIverlands plotline not amounting to much would not be out of the norm.  As far as the Riverlands plotline I think it was probably important to get Jaime out of Kings Landing so Cersei can pull her last move of burning the High Sept which will lead to Tommen killing himself, thus setting Jaime against Cersei.  Some people have been pointing out on here today that the Hound is heading north and could run into Sansa and LF, and he knows what LF did to Ned.

As far as Lady Stoneheart go's, that ship has sailed.  Catlyn has been dead for months at a minimum now, there is no conceivable scenario where her body is even remotely recognizable, so even if Beric stumbled onto her body, which would not make sense, he would not even be able to tell it was her, and thus would have no desire to resurrect her.  The whole build up of being coming back from the dead was a big lead up to Jon revival anyway, and that has already been done.

On 18/06/2016 at 8:05 PM, Ser Wun Wun said:

I think it would be easier for her to impersonate a random serving girl (which would also give her ample opportunity to poison everyone) than it would be for her to impersonate the bride, so I think that's her.     

I didn't know I needed this to happen so baldy until now.

On 6/20/2016 at 8:16 PM, jandslegate said:

If a revenge wedding happens I think it'd probably be the BwB pretending to be entertainers. That's what is pretty much hinted in the book. With all the changes to Jaime's arc, I personally, don't know how a scenario like this would play out but I tend to think he still has a purpose back in KL. 

This makes sense, in the books i believe a man from the BwB who could play harp had infiltrated this scenario.

As for Arya, there's no need for her to don a face or any other disguise for that matter (other than a kitchen girl's clothing), there's only about 5 people in Westeros that would have a prayer of recognizing her anyway, and they would all be on her side.

Sorry, but after the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding, I think a Red Wedding 2.0 would be getting to be a bit of a lazy cliche from a story-telling standpoint.

And beyond that,, my goodness, what is it going to take for Westerosi to be on their guard at weddings???  Maybe they might want to consider moving to small, private ceremonies???  With no reception???

I hope for something big, but I’m getting used to the feeling of being disappointed 99% of the time. I have waited ¾ of a season to see the “I choose violence” scene, expecting to see the Mountain repainting the entire Red Keep with Sparrow blood, only to have one lousy death.

And as revenge for the RW, I don’t think anything less than half the people in that party getting killed will not do it for me. If Cersei can set half of KL on fire, I expect Arya to put some of those skills she learned from the FM to good use, mainly infiltration and poisons. After all, she managed to conquer Harrenhal for the northeners with her weasel soup before her years of training with the FM. For the upgraded Arya to go to the Twins/Riverrun and only kill a couple Freys will be hugely anticlimactic. Not to mention it will make the whole party pointless. Why have a huge celebration on screen if Arya will kill only a handful of people after the party? So I’m expecting a massacre. Hope I’m not disappointed again.

On June 20, 2016 at 0:28 AM, Frejac said:

Teleportation isn't always teleportation though.

The stories we see in each episode don't necessarily happen at the same time as each other, and Arya's story is the most disconnected from the rest of the plot.  We don't really have any idea of when it takes place in relation to the other events on the show.

Sam never stopped in Braavos, Arya isn't having wolf dreams, and she never did the bit of her training that involved reporting the news she learned each day.  The only connection she has to the rest of the timeline is the Meryn Trant thing.  Without the rest events to provide context, all we know is that Arya was in Braavos for some indeterminate amount of time that included and extended past his trip.

We don't know how long she was blind, and we don't know how long the rest of her training took.

She may well have sailed back to Westeros already by the time many of the other events this season were taking place.

Totally agree.

I always wonder why some people think things on television specifically, are happening in real time, and characters don't exist/are frozen in time and nothing happens to them when we can't see them. (Sansa knowing about Ramsay's dogs.) Yet never seem to have that problem with books or films.

Just because the episode lasts one hour, more than one hour has happened in the episode. 

Game of Thrones ≠ 24.

I love the idea IF they do it right. They should manage to give us all the cathartic relief of watching this reverse Red Wedding as the pain it caused us watching the original which would be hard to pull off with just Arya. What I imagine is a mass violent killing of Freys just as was done to the Starks. Now one way I see her accomplishing this that I feel like might appease my need for revenge is serving poison in the wine maybe the paralyzing kind and then walking around and stabbing everyone to death? Sounds good huh? Of course she's reserve the worst for that bastard Walder.

A problem with this idea that she's the serving girl however is apparently in the show the faces are "poison" for someone who isn't fully initiated as no one and that's supposedly what blinded her right? At least that's definitely the way it was made out in the show and it might be an issue if she starts face changing now for discerning fans. Shoot I'd just be glad she got something out of that ridiculously drawn out and pointless storyline.

Archived