Will Melisandre's disguise glamours be important?

So, early in the season it was shown that Melisandre has enchanted her appearance to look younger. Not a big reveal in itself and already suspected by many book readers.

Now the question is, is there more to this scene than it just being an audience "shocker"? Will Melisandre enchant somebody or has she perhaps aleady put a spell on someone? For some reasons the unavoidable confrontation with Davos hasn't happened yet, has Melisandre one last thing to do?

It looks like that'll be next episode.

The way things have been moving lately there doesn't seem to be room for stories involve complex intrigue and disguises, unfortunately.  I think the scene with her necklace seemed to serve more as a reminder to the audience that she's the real deal, as opposed to any kind of plot point.

I do think, whether she lives or dies, we might be getting a big reveal out of her next episode. Maybe Jon's parantage? Maybe the Others? Hopefully the cost of her magic will come into play (I believe Stannis lost fertility in exchange for the shadow baby?)

11 hours ago, UnreliableNarrator said:

I do think, whether she lives or dies, we might be getting a big reveal out of her next episode. Maybe Jon's parantage? Maybe the Others? Hopefully the cost of her magic will come into play (I believe Stannis lost fertility in exchange for the shadow baby?)

Stannis + Selyse were trying to get an heir for more then 10 years before they ever met Melisandre. In fact the grief of Selyse because she couldn't deliver a son was prop. the main reasons she changed her faith.

14 hours ago, Ludo Kressh said:

Her and Davos need to have that confrontation about Shireen; not sure what will happen.

The lord of light taketh and giveth. I don't see how or why he should hold it against her personally (or heaven forbid kill her for it). It was Stannis and his wife who permitted the sacrifice, nay, wanted it.

On topic, I think it was meant to show us that:

A ) Mel does indeed have powers of some kind.

B ) It was meant to show us the audience how shaken she is. How vulnerable she feels, and soften her in our eyes.

I think it showed how vulnerable & doubtful she was in herself. 

I don't think it was meant as anything more than to imply how shaken she was in her beliefs - since we met her early in season 2, everything she has known and believed about her visions and her prophecy, was pretty much shattered.

Her "rebirth" coincided with Jon's - her reviving Jon, also represented the revival of her faith in her visions / lord. Now, instead of being unclear or confused about these visions, she knows that she just merely interpreted them the wrong way, and that Azor Ahai was actually Jon. 

I don't think there's anything more to it than that. 

12 hours ago, UnreliableNarrator said:

The way things have been moving lately there doesn't seem to be room for stories involve complex intrigue and disguises, unfortunately.  I think the scene with her necklace seemed to serve more as a reminder to the audience that she's the real deal, as opposed to any kind of plot point.

Agree that she probably won't glamour anyone; it was, imho, just a reminder that she is actually a sorceress, even if her powers are vaguely defined. Additionally, I hope there's a big plot reveal next ep, or at least something big involving her because otherwise she's been a real non-player ever since the resurrection in ep 2. She's kind of like a zombie, honestly. 

6 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

I think it showed how vulnerable & doubtful she was in herself. 

I don't think it was meant as anything more than to imply how shaken she was in her beliefs - since we met her early in season 2, everything she has known and believed about her visions and her prophecy, was pretty much shattered.

This, yes. One of my good friends also argued it's showing how tired she is, suggesting how long she's really been at the whole "find the prince that was promised" thing and just how dejected she is since, at that point, it seems she's lost everything. 

What if it's just a setup for another red priestess's glamour, i.e. rachel weisz lite.   Seems like the high priestesses of rhollr all have that same necklace so she's obviously glamoured as well is my guess...  But what does that matter? Who knows.

On 20/06/2016 at 10:11 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

I did wonder what the point of that scene was and I too think it might be setting the audience up for more glamoring in the future.

It probably won't amount to anything so dissapointing. Would live more mel action 

Her whole point really in my opinion has been about delivering tPtwP. I think she believes that is Jon now and she did tell him after the resurrection. Perhaps there is going to be a scene about that involving Jon as in a big discussion re that ?  

Archived