I honestly can't decide who wrote the Pink Letter

There is solid evidence for the three main candidates: Mance, Stannis, and simply Ramsay. I think I lean towards Mance mostly because Stannis seems out of character in trying to trick Jon to coming south instead of just demanding for more men, and there seems to be too many unusual things about the letter for it to be Ramsay.

And yet, I constantly switch between all three of them when I read fan theories on who wrote it.

Who do you think actually wrote it?

15 minutes ago, gregg22 said:

To me it just can't be Ramsay, because Stannis had Theon. If Ramsay truly defeated and killed Stannis, he wouldn't be asking Jon for his Reek back.

Agreed. It also makes me think it could be Mance to some extent, because he didn't know where Theon ran, right?

4 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

take my salt wife..........please

:lol:

It has to be Mance Rayder, as only he would know all this. Theon is with Stannis & if battle was lost so would he be. Ramsey wouldn't expect Stannis to send Theon away, but keep him close. Also Ramsey would know that John Snow would automatically realise that his bride was an imposter. Most importantly why bother warning him, as all he has to do is come there with a big force.

I think Ramsay wrote the letter, but its based on false information by Stannis

I think Stannis and Manderly troops wiped out the Frey army, then Stannis had the Manderlys and some Karstark troops fake his death and take his Sword to Winterfell. Now Ramsay thinks Stannis is dead, and since he didn't find either fake Arya or Reek he thinks they escaped to CB.

3 hours ago, Nevets said:

I think it's Ramsay, largely because I haven't seen a convincing reason for anyone else to have written it.  I think he's either lying or has bad information, though.

This answer is pretty much my answer. I really, really don't understand how anyone could think any differently.

Stannis doesn't make sense for a few reasons. In terms of time, it took him more than a month to march from Deepwood to the crofters village, which is a shorter distance than that between Winterfell and the Wall, and he made good distance before the snows set it. Whatever reinforcements he may want, he can't expect to see them for months, and he's expecting an imminent battle in the sample chapter. Furthermore he doesn't have the supplies to wait that long. In terms of actual reinforcements, the last time he was at the Wall there were only 300 wildlings in fighting condition. Even if he knows of the 1000 odd that are there currently, they aren't going to do much in a siege that his current men can't. In terms of his general character, he's not one to manipulate his allies so underhandedly (nevermind that this manipulation would be such an overly complicated gamble), and he knows the value of the Wall. He's named the Others as the true threat and the foe he was born to fight - he's not going to strip the Wall of its defenses. 

Ramsay makes all the sense. Jon is a clear challenge to their rule (and he had thrown in with Stannis according to an earlier Theon chapter), he holds the last of Stannis' forces, and he's the most likely destination of 'Arya' and Reek. The PL forces him to either accept their demands and remove himself as a threat, and if he doesn't, it contains enough damaging information (e.g. that he saved Mance and used him to save his sister) that parts of the Watch will turn against him.

Archived