A Contemporary Band of Nine

chrisdaw

If there were to be a new Band of Nine, which characters best match up to the originals or otherwise fit the bill? Some suggestions.

Maelys - Euron

The Old Mother, a pirate queen. - Meris, Lady Korra

Samarro Saan, the Last Valyrian, a notorious pirate from a notorious family of pirates from Lys. - Salladhor Saan? Aurane Waters?

Xhobar Qhoqua, the Ebon Prince, an exile prince from the Summer Isles who founded and led a sellsword company in the Disputed Lands. - Xaro Xhoan Daxos? Jalabhar Xho? Tal Toraq? Corsair King?

Ser Derrick Fossoway, the Bad Apple, an exile from Westeros, a knight with a black reputation. - Ser Franklyn Flowers?

Nine Eyes, Captain of the Jolly Fellows. - Bloodbeard?

Alequo Adarys, the Silvertongue, a Tyroshi merchant prince, ambitious and wealthy. - Tyrion Lannister

Liomond Lashare, the Lord of Battles, a famed sellsword captain. -

Spotted Tom the Butcher, from Westeros, captain of a free company in the Disputed Lands. -

Ben Plumm, Tattered Prince, Daario Naharis, Gylo Rhegan

Imagine the look of fear in Cersei's eyes if Euron, Salladhor, Jalabhar, Tatters, and Tyrion came sailing into King's Landing together.

In fact, it could be a two page description of this, and that could be the entire book of Winds, and I would still call it Martin's best work.

I'd like to suggest the current Black Pearl for potentially playing the part of the Pirate Queen.

Jalabhar Xho has every reason to not like Cersei now, and I love the idea of seeing him actually do something. Plus, he is literally an ebon prince. Xaro is a pale skinned Qartheen, which would preclude him if we take ethnicity as a requirement, which we probably should for the Ebon Prince and the Last Valyrian.

I think Spotted Tom would be the best fit for Brown Ben given the Westerosi heritage.

Nine Eyes and Liomond Lashare could be any of Daario Naharis, the Tattered Prince, Bloodbeard, or Gylo Rhegan(Kylo Ren?).

I think Homeless Harry Strickland would be the stand-in for Maelys the Monstrous because of the Golden Company connection. That or Aegon or Daenerys presenting themselves as the claimant for the Iron Throne.

4 hours ago, Lord Cactus said:

Imagine the look of fear in Cersei's eyes if Euron, Salladhor, Jalabhar, Tatters, and Tyrion came sailing into King's Landing together.

In fact, it could be a two page description of this, and that could be the entire book of Winds, and I would still call it Martin's best work.

The look in her eyes when they showed up would be totally eclipsed by the look in her eyes when they left. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but her nether regions would look like Pycelle's sleeve and her eyes would be more dead than the stones they put on corpses.

9 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Samarro Saan, the Last Valyrian, a notorious pirate from a notorious family of pirates from Lys. - Salladhor Saan? Aurane Waters?

I've often thought that Salladhor Saan would fit well here: not only is he descended from Samarro, but his ship is called the Valyrian.

12 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I've often thought that Salladhor Saan would fit well here: not only is he descended from Samarro, but his ship is called the Valyrian.

One of his ships is also called Old Mother's Son. A possible connection?

"That bastard Saan it was, with Old Mother's Son and his big Valyrian. We got away, but just."   AFFC

19 hours ago, YOVMO said:

The look in her eyes when they showed up would be totally eclipsed by the look in her eyes when they left. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but her nether regions would look like Pycelle's sleeve and her eyes would be more dead than the stones they put on corpses.

She would be feel more broken than Bran's legs (too soon?)

I think it would be more appropriate to find the 13 companions of the last hero, I don't foresee a second group of 9 usurpers mattering, unless there is a total of 9 who are not together.  Perhaps the 5 kings and 3 queens + Euron = 9.  Robb, Balon, Renly, Joffrey, Sansa, Cersei, Margery, Stannis, Tommen.  9 Pretenders before Danaerys arrives.  Although like I said, not really important, the number that is.

On 18/6/2016 at 9:25 PM, chrisdaw said:

Xhobar Qhoqua, the Ebon Prince, an exile prince from the Summer Isles who founded and led a sellsword company in the Disputed Lands. - Xaro Xhoan Daxos? Jalabhar Xho? Tal Toraq? Corsair King?

Xaro is not a Summer Islander in the novels He's a regular Qartheen with the classic complexion of "Milk Men" .

11 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Ah true! Probably a direct link to the Ninepenny 'King' the Old Mother: perhaps Saan inherited the ship from his father?

Possible, makes you wonder about any Blackkfyre connections.

41 minutes ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

The " real" reason Salla broke from Stannis and Davos is because he's on his way to work with Homeless Harry Strickland and Aegon Blackfyre. 

Well that and Stannis hadn't paid him and several years. He sells his sails he doesn't loan them out to friends.

Archived