Anyone else hoping GRRM doesn't release Winds of Winter until after the HBO Show concludes?

TheShadow

So considering that the Winds of Winter is one of - if not, the - most anticipated books of all time, especially amongst ASOIAF/GOT fans, many of whom are on this forum, you'd think it'd be a controversial opinion for me to want it delayed even more, but hear me out.

As the HBO TV series have gone on, for better or for worse, they've diverged more and more from their source material. I'm a big fan of both the literary and televised version of the story and understand that change is necessary in adapting literary material. Some changes I think are an improvement, other changes I do not like, but that's just the way it is.

But they have now, in my opinion, become almost two separate stories. Sure, very similar, but still different stories. Now, I don't mind this (as I said earlier, I'm a big fan of both versions) but it does mean that confusion may ensue if ever I, or anyone else, were to try and juggle them both at the same time. I read all the books before starting on the TV show, and enjoyed them, and have been enjoying the new take on the story with, obviously, no further developments in the literary version. However, if, say, Winds of Winter was to hit the shelves this Christmas, I would, naturally, read it and, in all likelihood, read the other books again (to familiarise myself with that version). I feel this would lead to unnecessary confusion; "wait a minute, he's dead", "who's he?", "isn't he in X" etc...

I think this confusion would mar my enjoyment of the story and, to be honest, I'm quite happy enjoying the TV show at the minute. So, in all honesty, I'd quite like Winds of Winter to stay away until the TV show has finished at which point, after enjoying the show, I can pick up all the books again and begin to enjoy them.

Now I know I could simply not buy Winds of Winter if it were ever to come out before the conclusion of the HBO Show but I feel, in general, holding off on the book release would allow people to enjoy the conclusion of one story without a different version coming in and putting into question everything watchers of the show have now accepted as fact.

Anyone else share this opinion?

I think it would be a much better idea to hold off on watching the TV show whilst you are reading TWOW. Let's say it comes out this time next year, whilst Season 7 is airing..... (pessimistic, I know)..... Just ignore the show and read all the books! Once you've calmed down you can go and watch the latest season. That's what I'd do.

29 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

So considering that the Winds of Winter is one of - if not, the - most anticipated books of all time, especially amongst ASOIAF/GOT fans, many of whom are on this forum, you'd think it'd be a controversial opinion for me to want it delayed even more, but hear me out.

As the HBO TV series have gone on, for better or for worse, they've diverged more and more from their source material. I'm a big fan of both the literary and televised version of the story and understand that change is necessary in adapting literary material. Some changes I think are an improvement, other changes I do not like, but that's just the way it is.

But they have now, in my opinion, become almost two separate stories. Sure, very similar, but still different stories. Now, I don't mind this (as I said earlier, I'm a big fan of both versions) but it does mean that confusion may ensue if ever I, or anyone else, were to try and juggle them both at the same time. I read all the books before starting on the TV show, and enjoyed them, and have been enjoying the new take on the story with, obviously, no further developments in the literary version. However, if, say, Winds of Winter was to hit the shelves this Christmas, I would, naturally, read it and, in all likelihood, read the other books again (to familiarise myself with that version). I feel this would lead to unnecessary confusion; "wait a minute, he's dead", "who's he?", "isn't he in X" etc...

I think this confusion would mar my enjoyment of the story and, to be honest, I'm quite happy enjoying the TV show at the minute. So, in all honesty, I'd quite like Winds of Winter to stay away until the TV show has finished at which point, after enjoying the show, I can pick up all the books again and begin to enjoy them.

Now I know I could simply not buy Winds of Winter if it were ever to come out before the conclusion of the HBO Show but I feel, in general, holding off on the book release would allow people to enjoy the conclusion of one story without a different version coming in and putting into question everything watchers of the show have now accepted as fact.

Anyone else share this opinion?

No, personally I hope the opposite.

The level of the writing - both dialogues and storylines - literally plummeted this season without the books as backbone (especially with regard of two of my fave characters, Tyrion and Arya) and I think the only hope for the next season is either TWOW as backbone or GRRM helping them with the writing.

Sorry for this, but, heck to the NO!!!!

They started writing season 7 back in February (and should have finished  a few weeks ago). By the time they start filming, the show runners are busy continent hopping to get filming done. They don't have time to read and analyze any new book released. 

And at this point it wouldn't matter because the show has diverged so very far from any recognizable version of ASOIAF that to try and pull it back in to the book plots would look forced and inconsistent within the show story itself. 

Let them be two things now, but I would prefer to have Winds now, if not two years ago. 

2 minutes ago, JLE said:

Now which ONE of those two things would you like...

I think 5-6 years is a decent amount of time for GRRM to produce a good book. If the book isn't good then the problem isn't with the time he was given. Plus there is the whole issue that the series needs several books to finish, so his time management does matter, as I care about the series as a whole and not just the next book.

Maybe Stevie King gave Martin some pointers on how he got through his big ass Dark Tower story that started in 1982.

A TV production doesn’t happen without at least a couple years advance prep. Now there is this speculation that the thing that can’t be mentioned in the book forum is going to do two shortened seasons that may end in 2018.

I’m at the point that I don’t care which comes first, the end of the show or the release of WoW.  Sons of Anarchy was written for TV and they got it right. They ended a story and they left open the possibility of a continuation.

At this point, in my humble opinion, the show and Martin’s books are Lost with no end in sight. If Martin releases the WoW book I will read it. When the season six dvd is released I will buy it.

But this consumer will only stand so much jerk off especially when I can search the internet and get the information.

I don't have any problems differentiating between show canon and book canon so I'm going to say no. The sooner TWOW is published the better, although I don't see any possibility of the book being released this year. Sometime next year would be a good bet though.

The books are more important than the series, and should be the primary focus. I personally feel that the series should have stopped until all the books were out, as the current incarnation of the series is a horrible adaption of the books.

20 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Hell no. I can handle the books and the show differing, no problem. It's not that confusing, to be frank. The wait, on the other hand, is tiresome.

Write it, print it, ship it. Take couple weeks off. Then, finish the remaining one.

Yeah, I agree, but the monkey i growing. The grandson of Kong may appear sometime.

6 hours ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

No, personally I hope the opposite.

The level of the writing - both dialogues and storylines - literally plummeted this season without the books as backbone (especially with regard of two of my fave characters, Tyrion and Arya) and I think the only hope for the next season is either TWOW as backbone or GRRM helping them with the writing.

The show and books are so different now.. I don't think even TWOW could save the show. Or even serve as a backbone for it. 

Tbh, I don't really care when it comes out. I've waited years already, I can wait more. As long as it comes out at some point I'll be happy. The longer it takes the more and more cathartic it'll be to finally read and if it's amazing then the wait was worth it.

Archived