The Lash

Where will Dany Land in Westeros? (SPOILERS)

57 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

So eager are the Sand Snakes to get revenge on the Lannisters for killing Martells... they killed the rest of the Martells. Logic.

Such logic so wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Dany should stop in Dorne, replenish her supplies and drop off the Dothraki and let them travel north to KL with the Dornish. Meanwhile, Dany, the Ironborn, Unsullied and the dragons set sail for KL (perhaps staging for the attack at Dragonstone first).

Edited by Rory Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets use a real world example: World War 2.

The Americans and British are allies and need to defeat Germany. Should the Americans; A. ship their Armies straight to France meeting the British on the beaches of Normandy? or B. Go to Britain first, gather intel, buildup forces, and then invade the beaches?

A. would have resulted in a colossal failure.

Team Dany is going to Dorne.

 

 

Edited by Aryakills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Aryakills said:

Lets use a real world example: World War 2.

The Americans and British are allies and need to defeat Germany. Should the Americans; A. ship their Armies straight to France meeting the British on the beaches of Normandy? or B. Go to Britain first, gather intel, buildup forces, and then invade the beaches?

A. would have resulted in a colossal failure.

Team Dany is going to Dorne.

 

 

 It is a sound plan.  But the Germans knew we werecoming.  So far as I can tell, no one in Westeros knows Dany is coming.  With the element of surpise, she can realistically take anywhere she chooses to land with no problem and immediately establish a beach head.  As long as there is not a major force already encamped there. It might be wise to take the major hold immediately North of Dorne along the coast to give a buffer zone to a potential ally, capture it's food stores immediately.  Because if Dorne does support her it is going to tax its food reserves heavily.  You also establish a second port to which supplies can be shipped.  

Is it Storm's End North of Dorne that is along the coast? Looks like it.  My mobile is terrible.  Along with the LG keyboard it makes it difficult to look stuff up.  Thought about downlaoading a new keyboard but a lot of them are plagued with ads and seems a lot like trading one problem with another.

Edited by The Lash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, The Lash said:

I am going rewatch episode 9.  I don't think it dropped any clear hints unless she decides to take the Iron Islands first.  Which with Winter coming i think would be a huge mistake.  They don't have any food stores and i dont think the sea around them could support her army.  Plus the don't have any gold.  I am betting it will follow the book arc and they will take Storm's End.  Where the prospects of securing food and gold are much better due to the proximity of the Reach.  Also, knowing the writers, she will not even find out about the Long Night coming for awhile yet.  They love to just drag shit out.

 

What is the first place she will burn?

Iron Islands are on the wrong side of the map.

She will probably land in the area where Aegon landed. I think season 7 will be about her taking the south, and season 8 uniting with Jon to take on the white walkers. To follow that arc she would have to land in the south. They may re-introduce Dorne as an ally at that point, since the Dornish were Targaryen supporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Lash said:

 It is a sound plan.  But the Germans knew we werecoming.  So far as I can tell, no one in Westeros knows Dany is coming.  With the element of surpise, she can realistically take anywhere she chooses to land with no problem and immediately establish a beach head.  As long as there is not a major force already encamped there. It might be wise to take the major hold immediately North of Dorne along the coast to give a buffer zone to a potential ally, capture it's food stores immediately.  Because if Dorne does support her it is going to tax its food reserves heavily.  You also establish a second port to which supplies can be shipped.  

Is it Storm's End North of Dorne that is along the coast? Looks like it.  My mobile is terrible.  Along with the LG keyboard it makes it difficult to look stuff up.  Thought about downlaoading a new keyboard but a lot of them are plagued with ads and seems a lot like trading one problem with another.

The problem is that with the ships available to her she can only take a fraction of her army. If you assume ~100 ships from Yara, and ~50 from the slavers, then assume that each can carry ~100 soldiers, it would mean that she could take ~15000 men with her. That would not be enough. The southern armies are way larger than that.

The common sense thing to do would be to land in friendly territory and basically hunker down until the ships can bring the rest of her forces over.

Dorne would be the most sensible place for her to go, provided she can make alliance with the sand snakes beforehand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tugela said:

Dorne would be the most sensible place for her to go, provided she can make alliance with the sand snakes beforehand.

Enter Varys....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best place to land for Dany's Fleet to land would be the Stormlands.

What has been happening in the Stormlands between the Battle of the Blackwater and Cersei's wildfire coup has been ignored in the show but my best guess is that all the stormlords submitted to King Joffrey (later Tommen) in return for keeping their heads and their lands. During the power struggles in Kings Landing between the Lannister, Tyrells and the Faith Militant the stormlords would have kept out of it since they didn't have a dog in those fights. Post-Wildfire Coup they are probably nominally under Queen Cersei's rule but are not very enthusiastic about it.

The best strategic plan would be for Dany and her army to land all over the coast of the the Stormlands along with the islands of Estermount and Tarth (Mirroring what Aegon will do in the books). Whilst this is happening her Dornish allies will invade from the south via the Boneway and her Reach allies will attack from the east. Faced with a three pronged invasion with superior numbers combined with not wanting to fight for Cersei the stormlords will fall one by one to Team Dany.

The advantages of this from Dany's point of view will be >

(1) Not to far to travel with her fleet from Meeren (Dorne is slightly better but not by much). 

(2) The Stormlands are the weakest link in Cersei's control of central Westeros.

(3) A good place to assemble her Reach and Dornish allies with her Essos forces prior to an attack on KL.

(4) Not to far to travel to attack King's Landing (assemble near Storms End and it's just a short journey through the Kingswood to the capital).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stormlands do look like the most logical place to stop. That part (f)Aegons storyline from the books can easily be handed over to Dany. She now has her massive fleet, her Dragons can then rest on the stepstones.
As a first sackin, she could take Greenstone on Estermont, she will then have a jumping point towards Weeping Tower and the Rainwood peninsula.

Or she could skip that and litterally follow (f)Aegons storyline and take Griffins Roost.
Support troops from Dorne can easily get there.

Going directly to Kingslanding will be a bad move, even with Cercei's malpractices, it still is one of the best fortified cities in Westeros.
Her forces need some training before they undergo such a massive attack. They need to learn how to cooperate. Both infantry, cavalery, navy and Dragons should support eachother. Start with a smaller location, so they can develop the best strategy.

Also, before Kingslanding is sacked, Cercei should become aware of her new and most serious enemy, Westeros (and especially Cercei) will need to be aware of the new threat to Kingslanding. Suspense should be built up.
I think the sacking of Kingslanding will happen in S07E09 as the big battle. We will again have wildfire, but in stead of saving the city, it will destroy the city,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine that it'll be Dragonstone... essentially empty since whatever was left of Stannis' forces left with him to go to Braavos and then the North.  It'll be important for their ships, as it is a naval stronghold - and besides I want to see that table some more as their planning tool.  Storm's End would be the next likely spot, to solidify control of the south.  Then straight to King's Landing, which will already be toast with Jaime having killed Cersei as she sets the place on fire.  If there's really only 13 episodes left, then I'd expect this to be a quick one if she's to join in the fight in the north as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

The stormlands do look like the most logical place to stop. That part (f)Aegons storyline from the books can easily be handed over to Dany. She now has her massive fleet, her Dragons can then rest on the stepstones.
As a first sackin, she could take Greenstone on Estermont, she will then have a jumping point towards Weeping Tower and the Rainwood peninsula.

Or she could skip that and litterally follow (f)Aegons storyline and take Griffins Roost.
Support troops from Dorne can easily get there.

Going directly to Kingslanding will be a bad move, even with Cercei's malpractices, it still is one of the best fortified cities in Westeros.
Her forces need some training before they undergo such a massive attack. They need to learn how to cooperate. Both infantry, cavalery, navy and Dragons should support eachother. Start with a smaller location, so they can develop the best strategy.

Also, before Kingslanding is sacked, Cercei should become aware of her new and most serious enemy, Westeros (and especially Cercei) will need to be aware of the new threat to Kingslanding. Suspense should be built up.
I think the sacking of Kingslanding will happen in S07E09 as the big battle. We will again have wildfire, but in stead of saving the city, it will destroy the city,

Basically I agree with this guess. Only, they have not introduced JonCon, nor have they made mention of Griffin's Roost. But that's just a detail. I do think she will head to some small keeps and castles on her way to Kings Landing. I also suspect the "twist" will be that since Highgarden has pledged their forces to Dany, Euron will do the reaving along the Mander as Vic did in the books. We will presumably see some of that from Sam and Gilly's POV. This will make the decision to head straight to KL not as easy for team Dany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

The stormlands do look like the most logical place to stop. That part (f)Aegons storyline from the books can easily be handed over to Dany. She now has her massive fleet, her Dragons can then rest on the stepstones.
As a first sackin, she could take Greenstone on Estermont, she will then have a jumping point towards Weeping Tower and the Rainwood peninsula.

Or she could skip that and litterally follow (f)Aegons storyline and take Griffins Roost.
Support troops from Dorne can easily get there.

Going directly to Kingslanding will be a bad move, even with Cercei's malpractices, it still is one of the best fortified cities in Westeros.
Her forces need some training before they undergo such a massive attack. They need to learn how to cooperate. Both infantry, cavalery, navy and Dragons should support eachother. Start with a smaller location, so they can develop the best strategy.

Also, before Kingslanding is sacked, Cercei should become aware of her new and most serious enemy, Westeros (and especially Cercei) will need to be aware of the new threat to Kingslanding. Suspense should be built up.
I think the sacking of Kingslanding will happen in S07E09 as the big battle. We will again have wildfire, but in stead of saving the city, it will destroy the city,

There will no be a S07E09 because the seventh season will only have seven episodes. It would be interesting ffor the showrunners to adopt that part of the books making Dany arriving in the Stormlands. However since there is no Aegon in the show there is not a major reason to Daenerys and her fleet enter in Westeros through the Stormlands, because there is no Jon Connington aiming to retake Griffin's Roost. The only that I see in favour of the Stormlands option is because we don't know who rules the Stormlands now, some Stannis' supporters or Cersei? Either way the defences there could be weak being a better option than it would seem at first. 

A major problem of attacking directly Kings Landing is that Cersei could use wildfire just as in the Battle of Blackwater Bay destroying a considerable amount of Dany's fleet. I believe Tyrion will advise her in that regard because he knows what happened in that battle. Plus attacking just from one direction is not the best option in a battle is always better to surround the enemy. 

What I think will happen is that some of the ships will indeed attack King's Landing from the see, Tyrell's fleet (Redwyne's ships) and then the Dornish army, the Dothraki and the Unsullied will attack through land from the south after landing in Dorne. Daenerys will ride Drogon into the battle with the other two dragons close enough. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dornishdragon said:

 

A major problem of attacking directly Kings Landing is that Cersei could use wildfire just as in the Battle of Blackwater Bay destroying a considerable amount of Dany's fleet. I believe Tyrion will advise her in that regard because he knows what happened in that battle. Plus attacking just from one direction is not the best option in a battle is always better to surround the enemy. 

What I think will happen is that some of the ships will indeed attack King's Landing from the see, Tyrell's fleet (Redwyne's ships) and then the Dornish army, the Dothraki and the Unsullied will attack through land from the south after landing in Dorne. Daenerys will ride Drogon into the battle with the other two dragons close enough. 

 

That's exactly right. Almost certainly Tyrion will advise Dany NOT to attack through Blackwater Bay, given his experience. Apologies for not having the link handy, but I read somewhere that some insiders implied offhandedly mentioned that S7 will primarily be focused on Dany's invasion, whilst S8 will focus on the full war against the Others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragonstone or maybe Storm"s End, NOT Dorne. First, let's talk about alliances. 1) So, who controls Storm"s End right now? And where is Gendry? And honestly, who REALLY is his mom?? 2) If Aegon turns out to be in hiding like in the books and is introduced, gotta a feeling his Martell side might come into play. Which is probably why he wont be in tv show. BUT, is anyone really loving the simplistic coup in Dorne? Seems unresolved.  LOGISTICALLY, Dorne is too far for Dothraki to travel to reach mainland and also furthest away to travel to Kings landing. Dragonstone would require reboarding ships later on to reach mainland. So I like Storm"s End for the Armies, Dragonstone for Dany and the Dragons, but refer to question 1 and 2. Personally think Dorne and Highgarden will take Casterly Rock.  X FACTOR  Euron shows up and a sea battle occurs, possibly invoking a decision. Personally, I think Dragonstone will be the new Kings Landing in the end anyhow.

Edited by Tyrionthedragonrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am clearly not an expert on Game of Thrones, I just wanted to say that first. I've only watched the show once and have never read the books but I signed up on this website because I want to find out how many of you also think that Dany will be going East and not West. The reason why I think that is that in the last episode you see Dany with her ships in the sunset but the sun is behind them and as we all know, the sun goes down in the West which means that they're going East. This entire scene gives you either sunset- instead of sunrise- vibes because it's the end of the season which equals the end of the day. But to prove that it really isn't sunrise you can see Theon look up in the sky about a minute before and the sun was much higher back then. What do you think? I informed myself a bit about the theory of Dany sailing to the East and I read about a wise woman in Qarth telling her to go to Asahi  (in the East) but I honestly can't remember it or maybe it was just in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly the Dornish coast? She's starting from Slaver's Bay and it's the closest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now