The dead coming back to life outside of Winterfell

I'm assuming that a good chunk of the wildlings that fought at WF also fought at Hardhome against the WW and the army of the dead. So could some of them have been touched by the dead so therefore become reanimated on the battlefield after dying there? Is that some type of magic that doesn't work south of the wall? Please discuss

I don't think so. I still think that corpses raise only when they are some kind of "infected" when killed, unless Night's King himself is directly involved (see Hardhome). The people that died in the battle couldn't be infected imo. Although bodies can raise south of the Wall (see season 1), we have yet to see people who died south of the Wall to become wights.

On 6/20/2016 at 0:59 AM, Lord Lannister said:

The Night King's power can't pass the Wall's magical wards.

I mean that one wight was raised in Castle Black...So we don't really know that.  We know they can't cross the wall themselves, but they've already raised a wight on the other side of the wall.

18 minutes ago, Noveson said:

I mean that one wight was raised in Castle Black...So we don't really know that.  We know they can't cross the wall themselves, but they've already raised a wight on the other side of the wall.

After the Night's Watch did them the courtesy of carrying the body... likely already reanimated in some form... past it.

5 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

After the Night's Watch did them the courtesy of carrying the body... likely already reanimated in some form... past it.

All conjecture at that point.  The wights we've seen raised were raised instantly, this one waited till the middle of the night.  No evidence that the NK can't raise wights beyond the wall. 

Anyway won't matter pretty quick, because that baby is coming down! 

Just now, Noveson said:

All conjecture at that point.  The wights we've seen raised were raised instantly, this one waited till the middle of the night.  No evidence that the NK can't raise wights beyond the wall. 

Anyway won't matter pretty quick, because that baby is coming down! 

I'd say every death in the series south of the wall we've seen, that hasn't risen, is evidence aplenty. Furthermore in that same scene in the novels, the dead rangers were described as having blue eyes even though that wasn't their eye color.

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

I'd say every death in the series south of the wall we've seen, that hasn't risen, is evidence aplenty. Furthermore in that same scene in the novels, the dead rangers were described as having blue eyes even though that wasn't their eye color.

....The topic you responded to in the OP is the same situation as what you describe.  They would've been touched by the magic North of the wall, and then crossed it south. I would think they would have to have been dead for the magic to touch them, but that's irrelevant to how you responded.  

No one thinks the NK can just raise dead bodies across the wall, the topic is whether he could've marked them somehow so they would raise later once they crossed.  I don't think it works that way, but the walls magic has nothing to do with it.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:59 AM, Lord Lannister said:

The Night King's power can't pass the Wall's magical wards.

I think Jon will make sure those bodies are burned, he knows what's coming.

But I think the Night King will be able to pass the Wall (or cause it to fall) if Bran goes through first with that mark on his wrist.

4 minutes ago, Noveson said:

....The topic you responded to in the OP is the same situation as what you describe.  They would've been touched by the magic North of the wall, and then crossed it south. I would think they would have to have been dead for the magic to touch them, but that's irrelevant to how you responded.  

No one thinks the NK can just raise dead bodies across the wall, the topic is whether he could've marked them somehow so they would raise later once they crossed.  I don't think it works that way, but the walls magic has nothing to do with it.

I don't think it has anything to do with "being touched by Magic" or with just being north of the wall.  Plenty of the watch, wildlings and animals have died north of the wall without being turned into wights.  All but the 2 that were carried into castle black have been raised while in close proximity of the NK.  I believe this resurrection process is likely one of his powers and has a limited range.

I don't see him suddenly being able to raise the dead from 1000 miles away.

1 minute ago, Vuron said:

I don't think it has anything to do with "being touched by Magic" or with just being north of the wall.  Plenty of the watch, wildlings and animals have died north of the wall without being turned into wights.  All but the 2 that were carried into castle black have been raised while in close proximity of the NK.  I believe this resurrection process is likely one of his powers and has a limited range.

I don't see him suddenly being able to raise the dead from 1000 miles away.

I don't either.  Literally the only thing I'm arguing is that the wall magic has nothing to do with it, like the guy said that I responded to.  We've already seen wights cross the wall, which is what OP is describing(if they were actually able to be "touched" by the magic, which as I said I don't think so).

It doesn't matter, so far ONLY people who got killed by either WW or its Wights have risen. We haven't seen any dead, who weren't killed in WW battle or died a natural death, rise.

Winterfell is a long way from the Wall. 

The wight that after Mormont was at Castle Black which is attached to the Wall.

If there was any history whatsoever of a wight as far south as Winterfell, people wouldn't joke about Old Nan's "stories", and they'd never put anyone into a crypt.

Archived