Anyone still want to claim this is a book event?

The battle at Winterfell involving a giant was foreshadowed both in book and show with the little wonderful scene at the Eerie where Sansa builds a snow castle and Sweetrobin comes and tries to smash it.

Other than that, everything else may be different. 

6 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

This battle resulted in Rickon dead as we all now he is no near the Boltons right now and Davos is on his way to save him. The Umber (notably a man who died at the Red Wedding) were straight up villains. Jon Snow's motivation for this battle was saving Rickon but again like the books he is no where near them. The Vale saved everyone while in the books they are still way too wrapped up in their own politics right now to go North. Finally, Ramsay downfall is based on an event he never did in the books (rape Sansa). So with all this does anyone still think this was some future book event?

It well could be a modified book event. It's been over a year since I last read the books and I'm new to this (or any) forum, so correct me if I'm wrong -- but the Davos/Rickon story line has yet to develop. Regardless of whether the Umbers are the vehicle by which Rickon arrives in Ramsay's custody -- that could still easily happen, no?

2 hours ago, Yin & Yang said:

I think Stannis will lose at Winterfell and Jon will take it back in the books. The circumstances and motivations will be different but the overall result will be the same:

1. Stannis dies

2. Jon wins back Winterfell for the Starks

3. Ramsey and Roose both die

I think this is spot on, we know there will be a battle for Winterfell but I think some cannot accept it's not Stannis winning it but Jon.

I think the Rickon thing is very different though and although I expect Sansa and the Vale to be involved I hope it's not with a last minute save.  Also I am sure the battle and Ramsay's death play out differently.

2 minutes ago, JonSnowed said:

I think this is spot on, we know there will be a battle for Winterfell but I think some cannot accept it's not Stannis winning it but Jon.

It's not "people cannot accept it" it's the setup of the battle right now makes it impossible to think this will happen. Jon has been stabbed with foreshadowing that he will be in Ghost for a while, Stannis has many Northern Lords with him and Wyman is a dead man if Roose wins meaning he dies Jon will have no Northern Lords to recruit, on top of that the current snow storm makes it impossible for Jon to march on Winterfell.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I don't take the whole story of the North since like the beginning of Season 5 seriously and as spoilers to the books. I even think that Stannis might win in the books.

Right there with you.

I'm more on the lines of: Theon/Reek and Jeyne survive their leap to be found by/brought to Stannis. They provide intel about the deteriorating situation within Winterfell. Stannis sacs Shireen to create his chance only to arrive and find Manderly has mutinied and thrown the gates open for him. 

3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Right there with you.

I'm more on the lines of: Theon/Reek and Jeyne survive their leap to be found by/brought to Stannis. They provide intel about the deteriorating situation within Winterfell. Stannis sacs Shireen to create his chance only to arrive and find Manderly has mutinied and thrown the gates open for him. 

But she's all the way back at CB how does she get to him?

6 minutes ago, TheSerb said:

The show has diverged from the books so much it's practically a fanfiction now.

It's diverged from ADWD I agree but then that's the weakest of the books in my opinion so perhaps not such a bad thing? The fact that the show this season has covered what most people were expecting from Winds tells me that it's not diverged entirely though.

17 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Good point. Mel takes it on herself perhaps? 

Some people suggested that in the show Shireen might burn as well but this time because of Jon's resurrection. I hope not, Shireen is my top choice for the butt that will eventually sit on the Iron Throne.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Jon probably wins the battle. Sansa just comes up from the Vale. 

Stannis will lose and that will be devastating for any lords who might help Jon so he needs LF and Sansa to come up from the Vale. 

D&D said Stannis burns Shireen how does he do that of he dies during the battle?

Archived