Will the tombs reveal Jons parentage? [Spoilers]

Attitude

4 minutes ago, MtnLion said:

It did come from a reliable source that said it was from the next episode's (s6e10) opening credits.  I looked closely at it, and it is not a photo-shop, unless they are very, very good.  It appears to a genuine photo of the screen during opening credits. 

Which reliable source? Truede?

47 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Which reliable source? Truede?

No, truede seems to have seen all of the episodes in one sitting.  He is not a book reader, nor even following the show.  He has done pretty well at recalling plot points, but there have been some errors.  This was posted by connor on watchersonthewall on the 11th.

26 minutes ago, MtnLion said:

No, truede seems to have seen all of the episodes in one sitting.  He is not a book reader, nor even following the show.  He has done pretty well at recalling plot points, but there have been some errors.  This was posted by connor on watchersonthewall on the 11th.

Watchersonthewall, if I remember correctly, also posted the photos I mentioned that basically faked Jon's warging at last moment in season 5 finale. 

On 6/20/2016 at 1:19 PM, El Guapo said:

So let me see if I get this straight. Jon goes deep into the crypts and for some unknown reasons decides to start digging?  Why exactly would he do this?  Is he bored?  Does he not have any other things useful to do with his time?

I don't know that Jon will find out by going into the crypts, but if he does I have a suggestion as to why he would. In the books (I know I know we're talking about the show but just hear me out for one second) Jon has dreams about going into the crypts and he goes deeper and deeper every time never sure why he's there (or something like that, I don't remember the dream exactly but I think that's the gist of it). They haven't put that into the show, but maybe they will and that could compel him to go down there. When Bran and Rickon had dreams about Ned being in the crypts back in season one, they both went down there and then they found out that Ned had been executed. So they could show Jon having the dream and then have him decide to go down there. Just a possibility as to what would motivate him to go into the crypts.

12 hours ago, caravaggio said:

Somewhat off topic, but I'd love if Jon found the original Ice down there. Not that that would prove anything (unless Rhaegar had it and gifted it to Lyanna).

As for the "original" Ice ... the Valyrian steel version that Ned had has been the Stark sword for four or five hundred years, if not rather longer. Previous incarnations of Ice have most likely rusted away.

If there's a Stark or Northern relic that Lyanna got from Rhaegar, it would've been the crown of Torrhen Stark, that Robb's crown was made to be a copy of.

It's possible that Aegon the Conqueror's Crown is in there.

And, let's be honest, it's more likely to be in a cache in Ned's tomb than it is to be in Lyanna's. If it's in Lyanna's tomb, getting at it means desecrating his beloved sister's resting place. If it's in his tomb, then it won't be found until after his own death - at which point enough time has probably passed for the reveal to be less problemmatic. I suppose it is possible that there's a secret compartment associated with Lyanna's tomb containing whatever it is, so that it can be gotten to without desecrating her resting place, in this case, it's most likely in the statue of her. And, in the books at least, the point has been made that Ned hasn't been laid to rest yet - his tomb has not yet been opened for him, and so it probably hasn't been touched since before Robert's Rebellion.

Aegon the Conqueror's crown was lost in Dorne, according to the World book. The last Targaryen to wear it was the Young Dragon who brought Dorne into the realm, and he was later killed fighting in a rebellion there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the crown was lost then.

According to one of Cat's chapters in ACOK, Torrhen Stark surrendered the crown of the Kings of Winter to Aegon the Conqueror when he bent the knee.

So I think those crowns are out of play.

46 minutes ago, Sansa's Hairnet said:

Aegon the Conqueror's crown was lost in Dorne, according to the World book. The last Targaryen to wear it was the Young Dragon who brought Dorne into the realm, and he was later killed fighting in a rebellion there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the crown was lost then.

According to one of Cat's chapters in ACOK, Torrhen Stark surrendered the crown of the Kings of Winter to Aegon the Conqueror when he bent the knee.

So I think those crowns are out of play.

Page reference? I don't remember that bit.

Torrhen's crown would, presumably, have been stored in a Targaryen vault somewhere, and hence, something Rhaegar could, theoretically have acquired for Lyanna/their child.  Mind, I'm not entirely sure why he'd've done that in the first place, but it's possible.

Might be that it makes more sense in the books for Jon to happen upon something in the crypt but there has been no build up in the show. No dreams of dread or feeling a pull, nada. 

I'm on a TeamBran reveal. There's a reason Bran has the vision and it's not to break the fourth wall. I hope. If they LF ex machina this reveal I'll be less than impressed.

9 hours ago, Kytheros said:

As for the "original" Ice ... the Valyrian steel version that Ned had has been the Stark sword for four or five hundred years, if not rather longer. Previous incarnations of Ice have most likely rusted away.

If there's a Stark or Northern relic that Lyanna got from Rhaegar, it would've been the crown of Torrhen Stark, that Robb's crown was made to be a copy of.

It's possible that Aegon the Conqueror's Crown is in there.

And, let's be honest, it's more likely to be in a cache in Ned's tomb than it is to be in Lyanna's. If it's in Lyanna's tomb, getting at it means desecrating his beloved sister's resting place. If it's in his tomb, then it won't be found until after his own death - at which point enough time has probably passed for the reveal to be less problemmatic. I suppose it is possible that there's a secret compartment associated with Lyanna's tomb containing whatever it is, so that it can be gotten to without desecrating her resting place, in this case, it's most likely in the statue of her. And, in the books at least, the point has been made that Ned hasn't been laid to rest yet - his tomb has not yet been opened for him, and so it probably hasn't been touched since before Robert's Rebellion.

I agree that there are many more reasonable things that might be down there. As for the rusting away of Ice, not if it was magical, like Dawn, or if it was originally a sword of an Other. They do use ice swords after all.

15 hours ago, caravaggio said:

I agree that there are many more reasonable things that might be down there. As for the rusting away of Ice, not if it was magical, like Dawn, or if it was originally a sword of an Other. They do use ice swords after all.

An "original" Ice, be it magical, special material, or formerly White Walker, could be in one of the closed off/inaccessible portions of the Crypts, in which case, it is quite possible that Ghost could lead Jon to it. However, there is absolutely no chance that it would be in Lyanna's tomb, or anywhere else concealed by Ned. And no chance it would be part of an R+L=J "proof" reveal, nor would the Targaryens have ever had it. Which is what was originally suggested.

21 hours ago, WinterCloak said:

Might be that it makes more sense in the books for Jon to happen upon something in the crypt but there has been no build up in the show. No dreams of dread or feeling a pull, nada. 

I'm on a TeamBran reveal. There's a reason Bran has the vision and it's not to break the fourth wall. I hope. If they LF ex machina this reveal I'll be less than impressed.

Brans visions are playing the role of Ned's dreams and thoughts regarding ToJ. They need to do that because otherwise it would not appear on the TV, and the reveal, when it happens, will jump out without any audience preparation. I doubt the reveal to Jon will come from Bran, and in any case, no one would believe him because it is just a dream. The information would have to come from something more real, either documentary evidence or eye witness evidence.

I don't understand the "mystery item in the crypt" theories.

Why on earth would Ned ever risk putting any Targaryen heirloom or cloak or anything in Lyanna's crypt? It's not like Ned prepared her crypt by himself and buried her himself and then never allowed anyone else access to the crypt. Why risk bringing any sort of trinket up north with him to Winterfell? He held on to this secret so fiercely that he never even told his wife. There's no way he'd bring any sort of physical proof with him for fear of someone else finding it. 

12 minutes ago, GravyFace said:

I don't understand the "mystery item in the crypt" theories.

Why on earth would Ned ever risk putting any Targaryen heirloom or cloak or anything in Lyanna's crypt? It's not like Ned prepared her crypt by himself and buried her himself and then never allowed anyone else access to the crypt. Why risk bringing any sort of trinket up north with him to Winterfell? He held on to this secret so fiercely that he never even told his wife. There's no way he'd bring any sort of physical proof with him for fear of someone else finding it. 

I don't think he'd put it in Lyanna's tomb itself.

However, it's possible, even likely, that anything he hid like that would be connected to one or more of the Promises.

As for someone else finding it, whatever it was ... if he stashed it in the crypts, it would probably be safe enough.

15 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

I don't think he'd put it in Lyanna's tomb itself.

However, it's possible, even likely, that anything he hid like that would be connected to one or more of the Promises.

As for someone else finding it, whatever it was ... if he stashed it in the crypts, it would probably be safe enough.

Would he really risk it though? The tried up to Winterfell, the arrival at Winterfell, the actual burial of whatever item. He wouldn't have been alone for any of that. Did he show up to Winterfell with it tucked in his pants?

I believe that Bran will show 'US' who Jon is, without question. But how Jon finds out for himself is a different question.  Personally, I would hate it if LF told him because I do not believe LF would tell him the truth, even if LF knew the truth.  LF will tell him whatever variant most benefits LF most. If there were more episodes then what remains, that might be a very interesting storyline.  But with only about 12 (?) eps left, the show is going to have to be more direct.  And of course Jon could die a heroic death without ever knowing he had parents who loved him.

I have a crackpot theory that House Mormont may come into play regarding the original Ice, if Ned's Ice had a precursor.

Archived