I have a theory about Rob's heir [book spoilers]

ginny11

1 minute ago, Rumy Stark said:

Yes, this. Although I thought in this world that if there's a male heir anywhere it's preferred over female? That females only inherit if there's no possible male heir? Now I am confused and this was also not helpful. 

If I am not mistaken sons go before daughters and daughters go before males from different branches of the family. I honestly don't think that there was a situation in the world of GOT in which a daughter would be put aside in favor of a cousin or something. In the books, Asha/Yara is the heir to Iron Islands because Theon is believed to be dead and so she comes before her uncles who are, obviously, male but they don't come from the main line of the House. In the world of GOT like 200 years before the event of GOT, there was a civil war called The Dance of Dragons which was caused by the fact that the king named his eldest child, a daughter, the heir while in fact the real heir by the laws was his eldest son. After the death of Tywin, with Jaime in the Kingsguard and Tyrion a criminal wanted for regicide, Cersei is the Lady of Casterly Rock and the head of House Lannister, despite tons of uncles, cousins etc. There are probably much more examples.

1 minute ago, Nerevanin said:

If I am not mistaken sons go before daughters and daughters go before males from different branches of the family. I honestly don't think that there was a situation in the world of GOT in which a daughter would be put aside in favor of a cousin or something. In the books, Asha/Yara is the heir to Iron Islands because Theon is believed to be dead and so she comes before her uncles who are, obviously, male but they don't come from the main line of the House. In the world of GOT like 200 years before the event of GOT, there was a civil war called The Dance of Dragons which was caused by the fact that the king named his eldest child, a daughter, the heir while in fact the real heir by the laws was his eldest son. After the death of Tywin, with Jaime in the Kingsguard and Tyrion a criminal wanted for regicide, Cersei is the Lady of Casterly Rock and the head of House Lannister, despite tons of uncles, cousins etc. There are probably much more examples.

Ok good point (s). 

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

There are probably much more examples.

Alys Karstark (Books) points out to Jon, and Jon agrees, by all of the known laws a son comes before his uncle.  That would address cadet branches as well, since they would be descendants of uncles or aunts.  (Yes, I am agreeing with you.  ;) )

Archived