Jon: Lucky or Special?

Ok. We need to talk about Jon. So. He's at one point just kneeling in the field, watching the Bolton army advance and the collision happens. Bodies and horses go everywhere. He time after time is getting ready to die, but doesn't. The inside the episode says hes just "lucky". But was it just luck? This is the first time since his resurrection that we've seen him fight. I was watching the fight in awe. I was like, "what does the mean"???? Was he just merely lucky or was it something more? 

Plot armor, in my opinion. He should've died several times during the battle and yet arrows missed him, horses didn't trample him, he didn't suffocate in that pit of hell. They're saying he was lucky because they can't come up and just say "hey, this guy's important, we can't kill him just yet... or maybe ever"

3 hours ago, facelessaryas said:

Ok. We need to talk about Jon. So. He's at one point just kneeling in the field, watching the Bolton army advance and the collision happens. Bodies and horses go everywhere. He time after time is getting ready to die, but doesn't. The inside the episode says hes just "lucky". But was it just luck? This is the first time since his resurrection that we've seen him fight. I was watching the fight in awe. I was like, "what does the mean"???? Was he just merely lucky or was it something more? 

Yeah the directors said lucky, but honestly as I was watching (particularly when he escaped getting shot by the arrows that took down like everyone around him) I was wondering if there was going to be a huge plot reveal about how he's now like invincible or something. But then he did come close to suffocating/getting trampled. IDK. Plot armor as they said above, though it'd be way more interesting if there was something else there IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

Yeah the directors said lucky, but honestly as I was watching (particularly when he escaped getting shot by the arrows that took down like everyone around him) I was wondering if there was going to be a huge plot reveal about how he's now like invincible or something. But then he did come close to suffocating/getting trampled. IDK. Plot armor as they said above, though it'd be way more interesting if there was something else there IMHO. 

I'd say his plot convenience still has more sense than Arya's arc with the Waif. 

This is what was saying in the other thread.  I thought it to be done too purposely for it to be plot armor.  At one point he has his guard down and he is looking around and nothing is happening to him.  It was as though as it was done purposely to hint that he is something so much more than what he is.  I mean come on, right at the beginning of the battle when the cavalierly are charging right at him he gets completely untouched.  They saw him head on as well.  Not only that everyone is dying right next to him and he is slaughtering everyone he matches up against.  In past fights that we have seen him in he received some beatens and he was just important then as he is now and he never had plot armor like that. For him to do what he was doing in the way he was doing it, its hard for me to believe it was plot armor.  He very much looked superhuman and they made it look like that on top of it.  From the arrows, to the horses etc, they put emphasis on it.

What was that guys name in King's Landing that reforged Ice into the two Lannister swords? I am betting that he overcharged Tywin for that job and ended up on the wall. Now he uses his exceptional abilities to forge valyrian plot armor for the ex Lord Commander and his closest allies.

As much as they seemed to be focusing on his good fortune at avoiding multiple arrow volleys,  cavalry charges,  etc,  I tend to think that it wasn't pure luck,  in spite of what the producers said in the inside-the-episode comments.   

1 minute ago, bb1180 said:

As much as they seemed to be focusing on his good fortune at avoiding multiple arrow volleys,  cavalry charges,  etc,  I tend to think that it wasn't pure luck,  in spite of what the producers said in the inside-the-episode comments.   

I concur and everyone simply agreeing to that as an answer is boggling to me.  Considering how much emphasis they put on it with him surviving every time he should have died was insane.  He was like moses in parting the red sea on the first charge of the Bolton's cavalierly 

He isn't anything. He is a written character who hasn't died yet. This isn't a real battle it is fantasy. If it had been a real battle all of the archers would have fired directly at the idiot who charged out alone. Instead, since this is entertainment, the archers spread their shots out over a large area and he lived. Look at Wun Wun for a better example. Why was he empty handed, why didn't he have a tree as a weapon? Because if he did then the Boltons couldn't have surrounded them because he could have knocked out five or ten at a time and allowed Jons army to break the wall.

You guys are aware that people have historically survived many violent battles, right? And that if Jon Snow died trampled in some battle, perhaps we would be watching a different point of view of someone who didn´t and thus got to play a part in the end of the story, right? Ok.

He was "lucky". Like Tormund was "lucky" and anyone who survived the battle was "lucky", if you consider the fact they were born great warriors and were not hit by some arrow as luck.

Archived