UK Politics: The Vote

Maltaran

2 hours ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

I've worked with academics for nearly twenty years. I find the idea that 'most never question what they've been taught' to be absurd.

To be fair the academics I've had to work closely with tend to have come from an Economic or Psychological background and talk utter shite.  They can't predict a thing and state the obvious, usually after its happened.  My statement was pretty sweeping as I haven't really dealt with academics from other fields, e.g. Science, Medicine etc.

55 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I'm very confused, because you cited this world view as rationale for why political events/decisions were going to occur and to explain the reasons why political actors would behave as you anticipated. 

I don't know how old you are but I am assuming you must be 30+.  In which case if you haven't grasped the difference between political viewpoints, posturing and required actions by now you may struggle to ever get it.  Personally I would recommend you go way way way back in time.  Plato is excellent reading and whilst a lot of it doesn't really relate to modern perceptions in the world a lot of it is still very relevant.  It's fascinating stuff.  Tolerance and apathy are the last two virtues of a dying society.......

2 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Lot of anecdotal reports and evidence that turnout has been pretty high. I've spoken to friends who've been to my polling station and they've never seen it so busy. It was pretty brisk when I went this morning.

I am hoping that this will help blow the apathy away for future elections.  Whatever the result is today democracy is a winner.  I'd personally like to see one large referendum day held every 4 years on an array of topics.

2 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I am hoping that this will help blow the apathy away for future elections.  Whatever the result is today democracy is a winner.  I'd personally like to see one large referendum day held every 4 years on an array of topics.

I'd like to see people I agree with voting more and people I don't voting less.

36 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

To be fair the academics I've had to work closely with tend to have come from an Economic or Psychological background and talk utter shite.  They can't predict a thing and state the obvious, usually after its happened.  My statement was pretty sweeping as I haven't really dealt with academics from other fields, e.g. Science, Medicine etc.

Annecdotal evidence isn't evidence. 

Does anyone think that something fishy might be in the offing? A UKIP supporter was reported today to the police by Remain supporters in Winchester because she was offering voters the use of her pen to make sure the crosses couldn't be erased. Two police, harrassing one woman who was offering a pen to vote with because it was safer than using a pencil. Scary. I myself used a pencil. There were no pens at the polling booth. I'm now paranoid about the validity of my vote.

19 minutes ago, The Killer Snark said:

Does anyone think that something fishy might be in the offing? A UKIP supporter was reported today to the police by Remain supporters in Winchester because she was offering voters the use of her pen to make sure the crosses couldn't be erased. Two police, harrassing one woman who was offering a pen to vote with because it was safer than using a pencil. Scary. I myself used a pencil. There were no pens at the polling booth. I'm now paranoid about the validity of my vote.

It's always pencils.

20 minutes ago, The Killer Snark said:

there is something quite fishy about people being that cuckoo.  Any incident that police are called to, especially something as sensitive as this vote they are going to do some writing and take peoples names.  

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

there is something quite fishy about people being that cuckoo.  Any incident that police are called to, especially something as sensitive as this vote they are going to do some writing and take peoples names.  

What worries me is that she was not causing a scene and was not doing anything against the law.

Just now, The Killer Snark said:

What worries me is that she was not causing a scene and was not doing anything against the law.

doesn't matter, someone phones up to complain in this situation the police are going to attend.  they didn't arrest her, they didn't tell her to stop, they just took some details and f'ed off.  as if people would waste time rubbing out crosses if they were going to try and rig an election, surely they would just shred the ones that they didn't want counted. .

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

as if people would waste time rubbing out crosses if they were going to try and rig an election, surely they would just shred the ones that they didn't want counted.

The alleged modus operandi in elections where such rigging is the norm is to dump additional ballots with the desired selection together with the genuine ones. This has two advantages over shredding: there's no evidence to be disposed of and the overall effect is to increase the apparent turnout (shredding would decrease it) thus bolstering the legitimacy of the election. However, erasing and changing the result certainly makes for a better conspiracy theory -- it feels more personal to possibly have your vote changed to the opposite of what you wanted than to have it destroyed without being counted or diluted by dumping.

Everyone remembers that using pencils is actually the normal procedure for elections in the UK, yes?

And everyone realises that therefore councils, who set up and run polling stations, have a supply of pencils especially for this purpose, but don't have a similar supply of pens?

And that the pencils used make marks that are in fact very hard to erase?

And that marking a ballot in pen wouldn't stop someone from simply scribbling over the X to spoil your vote, an operation much easier, quicker and more effective than rubbing out a pencil mark?

Good.

:)

2 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Lot of anecdotal reports and evidence that turnout has been pretty high. I've spoken to friends who've been to my polling station and they've never seen it so busy. It was pretty brisk when I went this morning.

I voted this evening and it was deserted. Then again, that may have been because half the population of my town were standing cold and wet on a train concourse in central London praying for a train home.

5 minutes ago, VarysTheSpider said:

I voted this evening and it was deserted. Then again, that may have been because half the population of my town were standing cold and wet on a train concourse in central London praying for a train home.

It could be turnout varied from the norm in a lot of different areas.

Yougov on the day poll (presumably a normal online poll - not an exit poll) has Remain 52/48.

Farage has also conceded, sort of, saying he thinks Remain has edged it.

edit: ah, this was the same people they spoke to on Wednesday, so they picked up a very small status quo swing (so they say).

editedit: and Boris might have conceded while on a bus somewhere. But maybe not.

Archived