UK Politics: The Vote

Maltaran

1 minute ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Yougov on the day poll (presumably a normal online poll - not an exit poll) has Remain 52/48.

Farage has also conceded, sort of, saying he thinks Remain has edged it.

You guys have so many strange customs. I don't think I've ever heard of a poll being conducted on the day of a vote in the US. Also, there's no way an American politician would concede (even sort of) before the vote is counted unless the difference is something like 20 points. They'd never do it when the margin is as narrow as the polls suggest. On the other hand, I saw a Forbes article earlier in the day which unequivocally says that Brexit has no chance and thus they're done worrying about it so maybe they and the politicians know something that we don't and the outcome is more obvious from their point of view.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

You guys have so many strange customs. I don't think I've ever heard of a poll being conducted on the day of a vote in the US. Also, there's no way an American politician would concede (even sort of) before the vote is counted unless the difference is something like 20 points. They'd never do it when the margin is as narrow as the polls suggest. On the other hand, I saw a Forbes article earlier in the day which unequivocally says that Brexit has no chance and thus they're done worrying about it so maybe they and the politicians know something that we don't and the outcome is more obvious from their point of view.

I hear people in UKIP are pretty bemused at Farage right now as well.

4 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Also, there's no way an American politician would concede (even sort of) before the vote is counted unless the difference is something like 20 points. They'd never do it when the margin is as narrow as the polls suggest.

It should be noted that they wouldn't do this if they were actually able to concede, but since no-one has the authority to do that, and polls are closing, they can call it as they see it with no effect on the outcome.

Our polling station was busier than I've seen it and I make sure to vote in every election.

Yougov just released an online poll (for what it's worth) 52/48 remain- for those of you obsessed about such things.

Nigel Farage is quoted as saying that he things Remain will just edge it to Sky News.

Ignore me. Chaircat Meow got here first...

"Farage declares 'remain will edge it' as polls close in historic vote"

Looks like the Brexit bunch have already given up.  And then there is this little nugget.  Status quo resumed and the vote isn't even in yet!

"84 Conservative MPs who have campaigned for out, including Boris Johnson, Chris Grayling and Priti Patel, wrote to the prime minister to thank him for offering them the referendum and calling on him to stay in position whatever the outcome.".

Gotta love politics.....

So, best website for monitoring results?

I must say I thought leave might win the day. I wonder if it will come down to Scotland and Wales to actually carry remain to victory. I suspect England will vote leave.

Ipsos Mori have done an on the day phone poll and put it 54/46 for Remain.

Rumour is Brexit supporting Tory MPs basically know they've lost. Undecided voters are said to be breaking very heavily for Remain and a lot of wealthier Brexit supporters have taken fright at the last moment. Sounds like they expect the defeat to be crushing.  

I just saw that. Not sure what it means though.

1) It might be wrong.

2) Brexit supporters older and more likely to postal vote. Actual vote will be much closer.

However, if Sunderland is really 60/40 Leave Remain are probably in deep shit.

3 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Not good enough.  Sunderland was a nailed on leave winner but they expected a higher margin.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/eu-referendum-result-polls-britain-europe

What to expect

12.30am

Sunderland reports. Expect Leave to have a lead of six points if the national vote is tied.

1 minute ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I just saw that. Not sure what it means though.

1) It might be wrong.

2) Brexit supporters older and more likely to postal vote. Actual vote will be much closer.

However, if Sunderland is really 60/40 Leave Remain are probably in deep shit.

Sunderland was always going to be a strong exit.  The claim is if they win by less than six points it's bad news for the leave campaign.

30 minutes ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

It should be noted that they wouldn't do this if they were actually able to concede, but since no-one has the authority to do that, and polls are closing, they can call it as they see it with no effect on the outcome.

28 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I may have been unclear. Farage just said he thought Remain had won, he wasn't withdrawing (not that it's that type of election) or anything ...

I know -- I meant that no US politician would give up on a vote with an expected narrow margin before all of the votes are counted. Anyway, it sounds like he's changed his mind.

I voted Remain this afternoon, after generally being in favour of staying in since the beginning.  My husband and I don't differ, But I am at odds with my family - my brother was even out canvassing for Leave yesterday.  I am in the West Midlands and am quite surprised at the polls as it's rare to hear anyone talking about remaining, I hear a lot of impassioned Leavers and tend to keep my mouth shut as I always feel somewhat embarrassed to be on the left.  Not ashamed, but I just don't like getting into circular arguments with folk.

2 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I voted Remain this afternoon, after generally being in favour of staying in since the beginning.  My husband and I don't differ, But I am at odds with my family - my brother was even out canvassing for Leave yesterday.  I am in the West Midlands and am quite surprised at the polls as it's rare to hear anyone talking about remaining, I hear a lot of impassioned Leavers and tend to keep my mouth shut as I always feel somewhat embarrassed to be on the left.  Not ashamed, but I just don't like getting into circular arguments with folk.

Those with an axe to grind always make the loudest noise.  That noise is vastly amplified by social media.

Its why the polls got the last election so wrong. The large contented majority didn't want to get drawn into answering polls or responding to questions.  I've long suspected there were a lot of remainers like that, hence why I think it'll be a comfortable remain victory.

Archived