On 24/6/2016 at 0:09 PM, plastic throne said:

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually like Daenerys, her ideals, but I do mind that right now she excels in just about anything. She is equivalent to an anime super hero. Cute, beautiful, young, have superpowers (dragon whisperer) and fucks shit up against all odds even without her pets (like her fight against 12 battle proven khals).

But when the real danger hits, the writers will probably think of something to invert back the dragons (and her) from being OP to being 'average'. Plot demands it, you can't have WW swooped under the carpet like that after 60 hours of build up :P

Ice dragon breathing cold cones would do, methinks

On 6/23/2016 at 9:44 AM, The Lash said:

For the above quote.  This sounds very impractical for the purposes of battle.  Especially given the close proximity of the ships.  And each one with multiple anchor chains out, sounds like a huge headache waiting to happen.

No, it's doable, or at least it was doable once that method of attaching springs to anchors was invented.  I have no idea who came up with anchor springs and when, but in Nelson's day they would anchor their ships nearly touching and use anchor springs to turn.  But I certainly saw no sign that the Masters were anchored, much less had springs.

I'm non siege weapon expert, but I'm not sure it's possible to adjust the arc of a trebuchet, and if it's possible, I don't think it's easy.  A dragon flying overhead would be in its deadzone, I'm almost sure.

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2016 at 1:59 PM, Dany's Golden Fleece said:

Fire breathing Dragons vs wooden ships? No contest. Masters thought the dragons were incapacitated and brought a knife to a gun fight. 

If it took all three of her dragons to burn one wooden ship laden with flammable chemicals and explosives, then those damn things better be seriously struggling against the stone fortresses and castles of Westeros.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:58 PM, Arya_Stormborn said:

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Dany scenes in this episode. Yes, she got an easy win, but that actually fits with book canon - look at how easily Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters swooped in and decimated basically all of Westeros with the exact same number of dragons that Dany has. Dragons are meant to be the medieval equivalent of nuclear weapons. Nothing can stop dragons except other dragons. This episode just reinforced that.

Plus, it was so, so fun to watch.

Yes, but their dragons were huge. I mean like really huge. Dany's dragons are just barely big enough to ride. Balerion destroyed Harrenhall by himself. It took all of Dany's dragons to destroy one single wooden ship.

About dragons can only be stopped by other dragons is bullshit. Meraxes was killed in Dorne by a scorpion, siege weapon not the insect just in case you get confused.

On 6/21/2016 at 2:51 AM, Rory Snow said:

Folks say they want realistic stuff but then complain if something looks too easy. Three flying fire breathing dragons should have an easy time with a bunch of wooden sailboats. Even the slightest difficulty would be unrealistic.. in a fantasy sense.

I do worry about dragons making the White Walker battle too easy tho'. Perhaps the dragons will have difficulty in the cold, or maybe they'll allow a bunch of cinematically pleasing death and destruction to occur before swooping in to save the day in a Vale Knight fashion

I do not expect realism in a fantasy series. I do expect common sense and consistency. We have seen that the White Walkers just put out fire with their presence. The only difference I see in dragonfire and normal fire is temperature. I do not see the dragons burning the White Walkers. I do think their claws and fangs will hurt a White Walker, but that means Dany will have to risk actually getting her fucking boots on the ground. As far as I know she cannot fight for shit. Now the weapons of the White Walkers shatter steel on impact, let that sink in. Ok, now consider this Benjen Stark (in the show), was wounded by a White Walkers weapon, just wounded. He then goes on to say the CoTF had to save him before the magic of the WWs took hold. Seems to me that means if you get cut by their weapons you die and become a wight. Using that as a reference I suspect if a WW cuts, or damages one of those dragons with their weapons the cold will spread throughout the dragon, kill it and it will be fully under the control of the Night King. 

All of that would be consistent with what we have seen regarding dragons and white walkers.

Archived