Who is next in line for the throne right now?

3 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

It was actually done using the Baratheon line and discounted the Targ line because they lost the iron throne and therefore their legal claim is gone. But yes, it did have Cersei as the legal heir, given Jaime was in the KG, but since he is not any longer, it would legally be Jaime.

But no one would actually accept that and it will come to war.

And Cersei wouldn't be the heir, she is a woman.  not being sexist just honest.  Of all people to be the first queen in Westeros it won't be Cersei.  She is like the Hilary Clinton of Westeros.  No one really wants her but there she is in the capital.  If Jamie was still in KG and they followed these succession rules that would make Tyrion the heir.  BOOM

15 hours ago, Stargaryen81 said:

And Cersei wouldn't be the heir, she is a woman.  not being sexist just honest.  Of all people to be the first queen in Westeros it won't be Cersei.  She is like the Hilary Clinton of Westeros.  No one really wants her but there she is in the capital.  If Jamie was still in KG and they followed these succession rules that would make Tyrion the heir.  BOOM

False, Tyrion was accused of a treason, then convicted of treason and sentenced to death. He wouldn't even be allowed in the city let alone, allowed to stay in the city. And Cersei would inherit the same way Stannis kept mentioning that Shireen was heir after him. Basically because no one else is left. Women weren't banned from ruling at the Grear Councils, they just set a precedent that they'd be past over for men.

If Tommed dies I suppose margery or the Tyrells would move in. Either that or Jamie would be nect, sinse he is no longer a Kings guard and therefore can use politcal roles. I read somehwere that the Lannisters and Baratheons both have som Targ blood som they ight be next in line by blood alone. We`ll se when Tommen dies, which he has to. Next episode gon be crazy!

16 hours ago, Stargaryen81 said:

How?  She wasn't pregnant before being arrested and hasn't been with Tommen since they were free to be with each other. 

We don't know she wasn't pregnant before being arrested (I don't know how long she stayed in jail, maybe a few weeks, that wouldn't be enough for a pregnancy to become obvious).

She hasn't been with Tommen since, but she could still get pregnant and then surely her baby would be next in line for the Throne?

On 2016-06-21 at 7:35 PM, YOVMO said:

technically the throne still belongs to the Targs. With Aerys and his primogeniture dead Robert was next in line due to his targ grandmother.

No, Robert was NOT next in line according to the Targaryen succession. Viserys was still alive, and he would come before Robert.

On 2016-06-21 at 9:42 PM, Stargaryen81 said:

The lannister have a ton to do with it.  There were no women born with Baratheon blood for generations until Shireen (Stannis daughter).  You have to look at Robert's Great Aunt or Great Great Aunt who married a Lannister.  Therefore, Jamie Lannister is technically the heir.  If he wanted to put a claim in.  He no longer is Kingsguard.  Jamie also has a force to take the throne. 

Lyonel Baratheon, Robert's great grandfather, had a daughter who I think married someone and went on to have children. This woman is the most recent female Baratheon not counting Shireen, I believe. Her children would come before the Lannisters in the succession line. I think the aunt you're referring to was at least two generations before Lyonel.

Anyway, to give my view on the matter:

I think Edric Storm is the perfect match and I'm a bit surprised noone brings him up, but of course he probably doesn't exist in the show. It's not completely impossible, though. He is Robert's son(meaning he has blood ties both to House Baratheon and House Targaryen, unlike some random distant Baratheon cousin who'd probably have to rely on dubious blood ties going all the way back to Orys I if he were to have a "Targaryen" justification), has a highborn mother(Delena Florent), a good reputation and has most likely been raised like a lord. He is young, able and ALIVE.

2 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

No, Robert was NOT next in line according to the Targaryen succession. Viserys was still alive, and he would come before Robert.

I don't know if anyone knew Vicerys was alive....least of all Robert who probably would have had him killed if he did. Even if they did know he was alive, he was in exile. 

On June 20, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Alayne Stone said:

Very quick question.  If show Tommen were to die next week (not saying he will - just hypothetically in the "gold will be their shrouds" mentality), who becomes king?

Robert's legitimate children are dead.  Stannis and Renly have no heirs.  Dany retains her claim obviously but wouldn't be the successor.  I'm assuming there's a Baratheon cousin somewhere.  My husband thinks Gendry will finally arrive in King's Landing to take the crown.

As has happened before, that decision would be thrown open to a Great Council, where rival claimants would be heard.  

Good luck convening the great lords of the Seven Kingdom, for there are scant few great lords left, and what few there are are busy with matters of greater urgency and import than electing an heir to the Pointy Throne, a position that won't matter at all by the time the episode airs.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:42 PM, Stargaryen81 said:

The lannister have a ton to do with it.  There were no women born with Baratheon blood for generations until Shireen (Stannis daughter).  You have to look at Robert's Great Aunt or Great Great Aunt who married a Lannister.  Therefore, Jamie Lannister is technically the heir.  If he wanted to put a claim in.  He no longer is Kingsguard.  Jamie also has a force to take the throne. 

I still don't know where this marriage is mentioned, I don't... even so, there are other descendants, just as Adam Targaryen mentioned: The Laughing Storm's daughter. I guess you're right about Jaime on the show... but D&D won't think of it, to make him a claimant to the throne. Especially because that's not what's going to happen in the books, where he's still a KG.

9 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

I think Edric Storm is the perfect match and I'm a bit surprised noone brings him up, but of course he probably doesn't exist in the show. It's not completely impossible, though. He is Robert's son(meaning he has blood ties both to House Baratheon and House Targaryen, unlike some random distant Baratheon cousin who'd probably have to rely on dubious blood ties going all the way back to Orys I if he were to have a "Targaryen" justification), has a highborn mother(Delena Florent), a good reputation and has most likely been raised like a lord. He is young, able and ALIVE.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Edric Storm is most likely the one that will get it. He might even cross paths with Dany coming to Westeros. Even in a real world scenario, a bastard like this, acknowledged, raised as a son, obviously loved by the nobles in the Stormlands would have a very strong claim to the throne of either Storm's End or even all of Westeros. Actually thinking about it, Edric would have better chances in the real world, where this idea of tainted bastard blood didn't really exist, quite the opposite.

7 hours ago, YOVMO said:

I don't know if anyone knew Vicerys was alive....least of all Robert who probably would have had him killed if he did. Even if they did know he was alive, he was in exile. 

Everyone in Westeros knew that Viserys and Daenerys were alive, they didn't exactly live in hiding. And no, Robert didn't attempt to murder them as children in Essos.

5 hours ago, Bayard said:

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Edric Storm is most likely the one that will get it. He might even cross paths with Dany coming to Westeros. Even in a real world scenario, a bastard like this, acknowledged, raised as a son, obviously loved by the nobles in the Stormlands would have a very strong claim to the throne of either Storm's End or even all of Westeros. Actually thinking about it, Edric would have better chances in the real world, where this idea of tainted bastard blood didn't really exist, quite the opposite.

Edric Storm can be acknowledged. Edric Storm can be well liked. Hell, they could have Edric Storm day in the Storm Lands complete with Edric Storm masks and an Edric Storm Parade that goes, on foot, to the castle of every single Storm Lord and winds up having a big celebration, Moon of Endor style, on the border of Dorne with all the Dornish Lords proclaiming that they will also celebrate Edric Storm day now and for all the days that dorne exists and the whole of Westeros can hang Edric Storm Banners from their highest turrets and everyone, for that one day, can call each other Edric and give each other and their children Edric Storm Day presents and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. He would never inherit the lordship of Storm's End much less the Iron Throne unless he was legitimized which, as far as I know, takes an act of the King -- and that is just plain not happening.

5 hours ago, Bayard said:

Everyone in Westeros knew that Viserys and Daenerys were alive, they didn't exactly live in hiding. And no, Robert didn't attempt to murder them as children in Essos.

Everyone in Westeros? Yeah, ok maybe. He was drunk and bragging to sailors quite a bit. I am sure some people believe sailors tales. That said....When Aerys was on the Throne the line of succession under him went Rhaegar, Baby Aegon, Viscerys, Robert.

Jamie slew Aerys in the throne room. Robert killed Rhaegar on the trident. The Mountain based baby aegons head against a wall and Viserys was exiled in Essos and if he tried to step foot in kings landing would, presumably, have been beheaded on the spot.

At the end of Robert's Rebellion there were plenty of reasons to proclaim Robert king. One of those reasons was that he was the next in the line of succession.

With that said, I still see the throne as a Targaryen throne and should Tommen die or his bastardry be proven, the next in line will only be a Baratheon insofar as they are connected to Rhella.

On 6/21/2016 at 4:51 AM, Rumy Stark said:

Someone did a huge analysis of bloodlines and discovered that, assuming Robert's claim had to do with his Targ grandmother, the Lannisters are actually the next closest related to the Targs, and since Jaime is no longer KG that makes him the heir. Don't know if I buy this logic, but I guess in this show since so much is based on the Lannisters it would make sense, at least in theory. 

This, yeah. I think basically KL will implode. (Or explode, if Cersei does indeed blow it to smithereens.) 

the family tree the used is non-canon and the Lannisters have no Targaryen blood

On 6/21/2016 at 0:42 PM, Stargaryen81 said:

the family tree they used was non-canon

The Lannisters have no Baratheon blood

Which will happen first though - 1) imploding/exploding of King's Landing and needing the next heir to the throne or 2) White Walkers heading south? Will King's Landing really care about a throne once White Walker hell breaks loose or will there be two battles being fought on two fronts simultaneously? Jon knows about the White Walkers, we know he will go back to protect everyone from them, even if not as LC. And isn't that where Dany's dragons come in, their fire will help burn them? I think after the WW are defeated/ Wall story is resolved, then the series ends with King's Landing and the "rightful heir" to the Throne. After all, it is called Game of Thrones. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Freddy Blackfyre said:

Since the Baratheon are just a bunch of usurpers the rightful ruler is the same that was before Tommen: Daenerys Stornborn of House Targaryen, The Unburn, Mother of Dragons, Braker of Shakles,  First of her name, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleese of the Great Grass Sea.

Long may she reign.

On 2016-06-23 at 2:59 AM, YOVMO said:

A few people knew he was, especially the Targaryen loyalists.

On 2016-06-23 at 4:05 PM, YOVMO said:

Everyone in Westeros? Yeah, ok maybe. He was drunk and bragging to sailors quite a bit. I am sure some people believe sailors tales. That said....When Aerys was on the Throne the line of succession under him went Rhaegar, Baby Aegon, Viscerys, Robert.

Jamie slew Aerys in the throne room. Robert killed Rhaegar on the trident. The Mountain based baby aegons head against a wall and Viserys was exiled in Essos and if he tried to step foot in kings landing would, presumably, have been beheaded on the spot.

At the end of Robert's Rebellion there were plenty of reasons to proclaim Robert king. One of those reasons was that he was the next in the line of succession.

With that said, I still see the throne as a Targaryen throne and should Tommen die or his bastardry be proven, the next in line will only be a Baratheon insofar as they are connected to Rhella.

The point here is that Viserys was in exile because Robert and the other leaders of the rebellion were trying to kill ALL TARGARYENS. No Targaryen loyalist said that Robert was the next in line, and no Targaryen loyalist would have discounted Viserys for being in exile, as his exile was a consequence of Robert's rebellion. Hence, Robert was not the rightful heir of House Targaryen. You are correct in that Robert's claim comes partly from Rhaelle, though(instead of just being a claim based on power and having won the war), and the potentially existing Baratheon cousins who aren't from her line should have no right to the throne...

21 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

A few people knew he was, especially the Targaryen loyalists.

The point here is that Viserys was in exile because Robert and the other leaders of the rebellion were trying to kill ALL TARGARYENS. No Targaryen loyalist said that Robert was the next in line, and no Targaryen loyalist would have discounted Viserys for being in exile, as his exile was a consequence of Robert's rebellion. Hence, Robert was not the rightful heir of House Targaryen. You are correct in that Robert's claim comes partly from Rhaelle, though(instead of just being a claim based on power and having won the war), and the potentially existing Baratheon cousins who aren't from her line should have no right to the throne...

No one had to say it though. Robert was next in line. You can argue over whether it is fair or not until you are blue in the face, and I grant you the argument that Roberts war took the throne by force. However, Robert is still a Targaryen by his grandmother and was next after viscerys in the line of succession and therefore I conside the chain unbroken. 

You are absolutely right that, to a targ loyalist, he is a usurper. No one would dispute. My only claim is that with no legitimate Baratheon heirs (assuming twincest revealed) that the next in line would be whomever was closest related to the targaryens and not to a Baratheon as Robert's targ blood kept the line in order (despite the ugliness)

edit: also assuming stannis dies

2 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

No one had to say it though. Robert was next in line. You can argue over whether it is fair or not until you are blue in the face, and I grant you the argument that Roberts war took the throne by force. However, Robert is still a Targaryen by his grandmother and was next after viscerys in the line of succession and therefore I conside the chain unbroken. 

You are absolutely right that, to a targ loyalist, he is a usurper. No one would dispute. My only claim is that with no legitimate Baratheon heirs (assuming twincest revealed) that the next in line would be whomever was closest related to the targaryens and not to a Baratheon as Robert's targ blood kept the line in order (despite the ugliness)

Precisely, there are no true Baratheons left from Rhaelle's line so the next heir would probably be from another house with Targaryen ties.

Archived