If Bran never fell?

DominusNovus

How do things play out if, in the first book, Bran sneaks away before being caught, and goes straight to Cat to infor, her of what he saw? To me, this would play out like the Joff v Arya fight, but with the stakes of a much higher magnitude.

- The word of one boy versus the Queen and her brother, a man sworn to celibacy.

- There would possibly be some evidence that the twins were up there, particularly if they were unaware that they should expect anyone to search the tower. Still, circumstantial.

- Cat has already burnt the letter from her sister.

- Serious suspicion would be on the Lannister twins now, and the journey south would be, at minimum, very tense. Ned will likely be much more direct in his investigation in the capital, and would quite likely put the pieces together much quicker.

- The Lannisters would have to kick any of their contingency plans into overdrive, to compensate.

I think, based on the tone of Cat's discussions with Ned, that she would have instructed everyone to pretend like nothing happened until the Lannisters were back outside the castle walls, and then it would have been a slow series of tricks to get everyone safe together. She feared Robert's wrath just on the basis of him being a king. Bran would have been grounded for climbing when he wasn't supposed to (as a pretense to prevent him from spilling the beans) and it'd go from there.

Eddard likely would have survived, and declared for Stannis, who would have likely had the same problems with his brother and his brother's lover. How the Riverlands play out is hard to say, because they only got attacked initially because of Ned's actions as hand, but on the other hand, Walder Frey might not have been so moved by the promise of a high Lord's son as he was by a King's hand in marriage. Could be better for them, could be worse. Balon would have invaded twice as hard, because of how much he hated Eddard. Roose's opportunities would likely be completely different, so it's hard to even imagine what he might have gotten up to.

Bran would still likely go beyond the wall, because the Reeds still would have come for him. But maybe this way, he would have had dancer. 

8 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Firstly, Bran knew nothing about sex, so it's unlikely that he'd go straight to Cat to rat Jaime and Cersei out. Something might have been said later, mentioned casually, but by that time the Royals would have been long gone. 

He knew whatever he was seeing was something important.

I honestly cant figure why the twins would decide to hump in frigging Winterfell. Its already bad enough doing it in KL but Winterfell? Seriously? They had never visited the castle, they had no idea how security worked there or who may go in that tower at that point in time. What if Eddard Stark barged in instead of Bran? Would Jamie throw him out of the window too?

And what about Jamie's genius idea of throwing the Lord Paramount's son out of the frigging window of one of the highest tower in Winterfell? It would have taken 1 witness to put the Lannisters into big trouble. That's something not even Robert could save them from. I mean, assuming the oaf decided to protect his wife after all that, he would have to fight Eddard off and march South with all the Northern army hunting him them down.

18 minutes ago, devilish said:

I honestly cant figure why the twins would decide to hump in frigging Winterfell. Its already bad enough doing it in KL but Winterfell? Seriously? They had never visited the castle, they had no idea how security worked there or who may go in that tower at that point in time. What if Eddard Stark barged in instead of Bran? Would Jamie throw him out of the window too?

And what about Jamie's genius idea of throwing the Lord Paramount's son out of the frigging window of one of the highest tower in Winterfell? It would have taken 1 witness to put the Lannisters into big trouble. That's something not even Robert could save them from. I mean, assuming the oaf decided to protect his wife after all that, he would have to fight Eddard off and march South with all the Northern army hunting him them down.

Jaime and Cersei aren't very smart. I'm not saying they're stupid, but GRRM writes characters at different intelligence levels, and the twins are far from the top of the list. Jaime acknowledges that, thinking in his first PoV chapter that he's not as clever as Tyrion. Everyone else recognizes it in Cersei.

Why did they fuck in Winterfel? Because both of them were super horny from the ride up, and this was their first day without Robert looming over them.

And what about the attempted murder of Bran? Jaime's impulsive and quick to violence. Remember, he's the one who sat out most of the WotFK because he couldn't pass up the chance to kill some scouts.

But honestly, throwing Bran out the window was good for team Lannister. Cersei's plan was to try and intimidate the boy into silence. That would have only reinforced the idea that what he saw was important. And this is "screw gravity" Bran the climber we're talking about. I'm not so sure how intimidated he'd be.

As is, Jaime's throw played a critical role in winning the throne for house Lannister. 

35 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

Jaime and Cersei aren't very smart. I'm not saying they're stupid, but GRRM writes characters at different intelligence levels, and the twins are far from the top of the list. Jaime acknowledges that, thinking in his first PoV chapter that he's not as clever as Tyrion. Everyone else recognizes it in Cersei.

Why did they fuck in Winterfel? Because both of them were super horny from the ride up, and this was their first day without Robert looming over them.

And what about the attempted murder of Bran? Jaime's impulsive and quick to violence. Remember, he's the one who sat out most of the WotFK because he couldn't pass up the chance to kill some scouts.

But honestly, throwing Bran out the window was good for team Lannister. Cersei's plan was to try and intimidate the boy into silence. That would have only reinforced the idea that what he saw was important. And this is "screw gravity" Bran the climber we're talking about. I'm not so sure how intimidated he'd be.

As is, Jaime's throw played a critical role in winning the throne for house Lannister. 

It only needed 1-2 witnesses and no one, not even King Robert would have been able ti save their arse, 

2 hours ago, devilish said:

It only needed 1-2 witnesses and no one, not even King Robert would have been able ti save their arse, 

There only needed to be 1-2 times as many raiders as expected, and Jaime would lose the whispering wood.

They only needed to be caught once as adults, and they'd be killed. 

They only needed to have been caught once by their father, and they would have been taught a lesson like Tyrion with Tysha.

Such foolishness is the very core of their characters. 

If we consider that Bran gets pushed but someone sees that (hell, lets have him be caught, uninjured, just to really push that scenario to the limits), just what sort of violence would we see in Winterfell?

Reviewing the book, I don't see any mention of the specific loyalty of the royal entourage. Just that there's three kingsguard (including Jaime), the Hound, and near three hundred soldiers in Baratheon garb.

The Lannister twins would have precious few allies, it would seem.

Makes me wonder about "Hold the Door" Hodor. He was made into Hodor in order to Hold the Door. If Bran doesn't fall, does he learn about 3ER etc? It's as if he was given the desire to climb so that he could fall, the Lannisters were just the mechanism. If not Jamie, then "fate" would have him fall another way.

If Bran went undetected and unharmed, he would have been riding South with his father and sisters.

Arya would have been fencing with him, and Mycah would have been back with the wagons, scrubbing pots or peeling potatoes.

Both direwolves would have been with them.

Jofffrey would no doubt have mocked them, but he'd never have dared draw his sword on them.

All 3 direwolves (plus the 2 back up North) would have lived.

But if he was stupid and arrogant enough to draw his sword against them, there would be 2 high-born witnesses against him.

Or against whatever was left of him after the 2 direwolves were through with him.

And no one would have been able to make the case "The direwolves should be put down because they defended the children of The Hand of The King against an attack by someone with a sword."

Archived