Gendry will forge the new lightbringer

np1234

The last time we see gendry is when Brienne encounters him and then fights Biter. Throughout this entire chapter Gnedry's behavior is strange. He refuses to eat anything and spends pretty much the entire time in the forge, doing what? I believe its important to note that Gendry has never forged a sword before. This could be why it takes him a long time to forge lightbringer, like in the azor ahai story.

Moving on the the story and how azor ahai tried to temper the blade three times, Gendry will follow a similar method, most likely unknowingly. So the first time he tempers the blade he will fail due to his inexperience at forging swords. I believe he will use the same metal to try a second time. I doubt he has lots of materials to work with in the riverlands. He will temper the second blade with a lions heart too, the lion will be Jaime. Brienne will die and jaime will escape with oathkeepr. Stoneheart will order the brotherhood to chase him down. Jaime will be pursed back to Gendry's forge and Gendry will stab him with the sword he was working on. Gendry will add oathkeepers steel to his own sword. ( I know that doesnt seem to make sense, but we do know its possible to reforge Valryian steel. I still dont know how Gendry can learn that) The final step will be the most tragic. He will kill arya with the sword he forge from oathkeeper which is ice. We know that arya will meet Gendry again sometime, probably not for a very long time. 

And no I dont think Gendry is azor ahai, he might just be the one to forge the sword.

Anyone else think this is a possibility or have I just gone insane? 

17 minutes ago, np1234 said:

Gendry will add oathkeepers steel to his own sword. ( I know that doesnt seem to make sense, but we do know its possible to reforge Valryian steel. I still dont know how Gendry can learn that

He may have already learned it via his apprenticeship with Tobho Mott.      IMO he was placed there as an apprentice specifically to learn the magic associated with reforging VS because his benefactor wanted him to remake something.

34 minutes ago, PrettyPig said:

He may have already learned it via his apprenticeship with Tobho Mott.      IMO he was placed there as an apprentice specifically to learn the magic associated with reforging VS because his benefactor wanted him to remake something.

Was Tobho Mott able to reforge VS? I cant remember. 

Tobho Mott is from Qohor, the last society with the knowledge of the spells needed to work Valyrian Steel.   He split Ice into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper, and although there's no reference to him forging VS anew, it's not out of line to assume that he knows how.  

There's a SSM around somewhere in which someone asked GRRM if Gendry learned the technique from Mott, and the answer was the cryptic "good question" or "keep reading" or something, which translates loosely to "yes".

1 hour ago, PrettyPig said:

Tobho Mott is from Qohor, the last society with the knowledge of the spells needed to work Valyrian Steel.   He split Ice into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper, and although there's no reference to him forging VS anew, it's not out of line to assume that he knows how.  

There's a SSM around somewhere in which someone asked GRRM if Gendry learned the technique from Mott, and the answer was the cryptic "good question" or "keep reading" or something, which translates loosely to "yes".

Also don't forget (although, judging by my last post I am the only one who thinks it is interesting) Tobho Mott's shop is one of only three locations we get where the doors are Ebony and Weirwood...the other being the Chamber of the Undying in the House of the Undying in Qarth and the other being the House of Black and White in Braavos. An interesting choice seeing as two locations are in Essos and the third it Tobho who is from essos and we never have any mention of Weirwood being a wood that is common there.

Further, Qohor is not just known for it's craftsmanship including the ability to reforge VS but also for being worshippers of the Black Goat (a death diety that the faceless men have with the other death deities) and doing daily blood sacrifices to it.

1 hour ago, CJ McLannister said:

Do we have evidence that he knows spells, or just that he can work Valyrian steel without ruining it.

I am pretty sure they say somewhere that he knows the craftsmanship and spells to rework VS. Whether that is just like the way the Pyros know the "spells" to make the substance and how the warlocks of qarth know "magic" I can't say.

I do think that Tobho has some magic. I also think he is glamoured.

This is a page that argues that he is Izembaro. While I am not totally convinced it does have some nice stuff pushed together neatly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1vh4tj/spoilers_all_izembaro_is_tobho_mott_revisited/

Since reading the books, I've thought that Gendry would wind up playing a significant role, if only because Beric chose to knight him rather than just take him on to be a blacksmith, like Gendry offered. 

Also, the sword he is working on when Brienne encounters him is the second sword he has ever sought to make.  When talking to Arya, he said that Tobho had given him a sweet piece of steel and he was working it into a sword when Tobho sold him to the NW.  In my odd mind, this actually has more in common with the AA story, since AA was supposed to have forged multiple swords before perfecting Lightbringer.

Again, IIRC, I believe that Brienne noted that a blade was emerging from Biter's mouth like a second tongue.  While the Wiki states that Gendry killed him with a spear, did the books ever come out and say it was a spear or the sword he was working on at the time? 

All told, I've long suspected that Gendry comes as close to the AA prophesy as some of the other candidates, so I'm hoping he plays at least some role.

45 minutes ago, daccu65 said:

Since reading the books, I've thought that Gendry would wind up playing a significant role, if only because Beric chose to knight him rather than just take him on to be a blacksmith, like Gendry offered. 

Also, the sword he is working on when Brienne encounters him is the second sword he has ever sought to make.  When talking to Arya, he said that Tobho had given him a sweet piece of steel and he was working it into a sword when Tobho sold him to the NW.  In my odd mind, this actually has more in common with the AA story, since AA was supposed to have forged multiple swords before perfecting Lightbringer.

Again, IIRC, I believe that Brienne noted that a blade was emerging from Biter's mouth like a second tongue.  While the Wiki states that Gendry killed him with a spear, did the books ever come out and say it was a spear or the sword he was working on at the time? 

All told, I've long suspected that Gendry comes as close to the AA prophesy as some of the other candidates, so I'm hoping he plays at least some role.

In the books Brienne is told Gendry killed biter with a spearhead. We are not told what Gendry was working on, why he is not eating and why he is spending so much time working. Its all very mysteries. 

I'm not so sure Gendry has an important future role.   The further away from him the story gets the more I believe his presence was to illustrate the lot of bastards in Westeros.    I like the Gendry character and find his most recent appearance to be impressive in the sense that he's made a place for himself as a knight of the BWB.  I wish I knew if he chose his assignment with the orphans, but it doesn't surprise me that he is there.   It does surprise me that he doesn't seem to have any companions outside of the "orphanage".    He seems to be wallowing in his lone wolf role.  And so angry now.  Hard to call what he's really doing and the purpose he serves.  As to forging lightbringer, he is as likely as any other.   I think it sells a blacksmith short to give him no other role of importance...like possibly identifying or repairing a long lost Valyrian steel sword like oh maybe Orphan-Maker?   

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I think it sells a blacksmith short to give him no other role of importance...like possibly identifying or repairing a long lost Valyrian steel sword like oh maybe Orphan-Maker?   

Who owned Orphan-Maker? 

Bold Jon Roxton had it at the 2nd Battle of Tumbleton.  He slew Hugh the Hammer with it.  He was then set upon by 10 unidentified men.  OM hasn't been seen in almost 150 years that we know of.  It's 1 of 2 VS swords that gives me fits.  I like the idea of a knighted blacksmith finding identifying and repairing this piece for the big battle.  Gendry isn't a swordsman but he's got important talent and skill that shouldn't be overlooked.

22 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Also don't forget (although, judging by my last post I am the only one who thinks it is interesting) Tobho Mott's shop is one of only three locations we get where the doors are Ebony and Weirwood...the other being the Chamber of the Undying in the House of the Undying in Qarth and the other being the House of Black and White in Braavos. An interesting choice seeing as two locations are in Essos and the third it Tobho who is from essos and we never have any mention of Weirwood being a wood that is common there.

Further, Qohor is not just known for it's craftsmanship including the ability to reforge VS but also for being worshippers of the Black Goat (a death diety that the faceless men have with the other death deities) and doing daily blood sacrifices to it.

Good points! Well spotted. 

Archived