Who or What got the worst/best from-book-to-screen interpretation?

Iron Mother

There are many to choose from but perhaps as a whole, Dorne got the worst.  After them, the Iron Men themes.

As a character, as well as Cercei has been portrayed, her character in the book are far more HUMOROUS and BITING than the show.  In the book she is so quixotic and bitter and self-delusional.  I love her on-screen, just more so in the books.

Best interpretation definitely Tyrion.  I enjoy how in the books Tyrion is far more laughable and deformed while still very intelligent and resourceful.... but on-screen, they really cleaned him up and you never see him as a dwarf, just a man.  And is far more eloquent and well-played than even the books have fleshed out.

Next would be Jaime.... in the books he really is not much at all.  Honestly he's barely a main character and never has anything real to say or do or be.  On-screen, they carved out IMO way too much time and dimension for that character - even while I understand the reasoning to do it.  Someone had to balance out Cercei in the Lannister realm and at KL... but when he took Bronn to Dorne, I was quite upset in that it carved out time for the actor to do more, while taking away from other/better plots.  And it helped undermine the Dorne storyline (very upsetting). 

WORST OMMISSION: Arianne.  She was secretly promised to Viscerys!!!!!!!!!!  It shows Doran Martell's depth of long-term strategy against the "usurpers" and the cunning of Dorne itself.  Everything good about Dorne perished with the Red Viper on screen.

The north easily.

From the political angles.

Reposting what i put in another thread.

The reason why the north plot line is failing isn't because of decisions taken last season, where the writers didn't establish a northern political scene before taking a dagger to Sansa.

It's failing because of stupid changes made back in season two with the Robb Stark storyline.

Robb Stark screwing and marrying the camp nurse simply because of his desire butchered his character standing, whereas Robb Stark taking a wound at the Crag and then finding out about the supposed deaths of his little brothers and the loss of the heart of the north at the hands of his chosen brother Theon Greyjoy who he released from his soft captivity and then in his despair, dishonoring himself and a noble woman makes him sympathetic.

The writers changed that plot line needlessly, and it made Robb and thus the Stark's as a whole look supremely selfish, rather than misguided in honor.

Now his living lords can deride his decisions to his heirs faces, and why not? According to the show canon, it's all true.  The show runners took a hatchet to the northern storyline way back in 2012 and four years later, they're still swinging.

If the M word thing is true, what sense does that make?? They just sat back and watched to see who would win, ala the Freys at the Trident? 

How are you supposed to even trust such a mercenary House? My gosh this show stinks worse than an old whores favorite thong.

Now onto just the plain look of the show.

I understand the show wanted to make the houses visually distinctive to make it easier on the audience to tell the various places apart.

The show did this, by making the westermen into samurai, the reach men into classic European knights, and the Valemen into classic European knights and then they decided to make the northmen into savages.

Think of the various looks of the different places.

Going by the show, there's no reason why the north was so instrumental in the defeat of the Targaryens. Matter of fact, going by the show, i'm surprised they were able to keep the Andals out of the north. Every other geographical region is shown wearing plate and mail.

The only character in the northern scene who we've seen wearing plate before season 6, was Robb Stark.

Everyone else wore leather jacks, and that was it. And all the heir of the north got, was a gorget and vambraces.

Everything from his sternum down however, was exposed neatly.

Following his death in season three, we see no more northmen wearing any of the armor of the age until we meet little Lyanna Mormont, and some of her men seem to be decently armored.

This show has continually made the family we're supposed to first fall in love with look like idiots, and they can't even be rich idiots, but they're shown as ramshackle idiots. That Karstark dolt looked like he was wearing a a shirt with a thousand gashes.

These savages had Tywin Lannister running scared? Tripe.

The people making this series never fell in love with the books, only the spectacle and shock they offered. And it shows on every level imo.

21 minutes ago, The Frosted King said:

The people making this series never fell in love with the books, only the spectacle and shock they offered. And it shows on every level imo.

I'm coming to this conclusion as well.  It seems they really didn't get in tune with the things that truly make the series wonderful.  Of course, I just can't stop watching so I guess they still win in the end.

I don't want to sound like I don't enjoy the show, b/c I obviously do or I wouldn't keep watching, but it seems to me like it would easier to count the adaptation choices that I do like.

I suppose my favorite thing has been the adaptation's ability to flesh out Margaery and the other Tyrells a bit more.  As none of them have POV chapters they remain a bit mysterious.  This is kind of a fun thing as it's nice to have things to speculate about, but I've really enjoyed watching Natalie Dormer and Dianna Rigg.  I also love the Tormund character.  I always appreciate a little comic relief.

I think what they've done with Cersei's character is quite interesting.  She is very different on the show than in the books.  Way more likable.  In the books I thought she was such a smart player in the game and then when I got into her head via the POV chapters I realized she's the worst kind of player, someone who thinks they're very good at it, but really make some terrible moves.  She is deluded, paranoid, mean spirited and incapable of any self reflection.  The main reason she seemed so competent before was because she had people smarter than her to keep her in check (i.e. Tywin and Tyrion).  Her handy defeat of Ned had more to do with his political missteps than her brilliance.  Show Cersei on the other hand is quite capable of introspection, of seeing people for what they really are.  She has some emotional intelligence.  Yet for all the big change I don't think it's damaged her story arc at all.

Book Jaimie is the exact opposite.  You think he's a horrible person who is just a pretty face until you get in his head and realize that maybe there's more to him than you first thought, especially the further he physically and emotionally distances himself from Cersei. As for show Jaimie, I'd agree we've wasted time on him mostly b/c he's a character who doesn't develop.

Now as to which is my least favorite adaptation choice?  My very least favorite was probably Sansa taking Jeyne Poole's roll.  It viscerally disturbed me as it felt so unnecessary and dramatically changed her story arc from what I was expecting and changed many other story lines.  

In matter of scope, I'm probably going to have to with Dorne as it was a failure in pretty much every way except Oberon.  I also was very disappointed with how they messed up Arya's storyline as it was one I really enjoyed in the books.  I could go on and on, Stannis, the over use/powering up of Ramsay Bolton, turning the Faith Militant into these weird Manson Family fanatics, Euron just being a dude bro weird uncle instead of a creepy, unhinged basically demon is a huge disappointment, the discussion above about the North above makes very good points, etc.

Honestly I think the biggest failure of the adaptation that has increased as the seasons go on and we move further from the source material is as mentioned above is lack of attention to subtext.  The fun thing for me about ASOIF is the politics, the details, the various threads interweaving with each other.  To be cliche, I think these books aren't so much about where we end up, but the journey to get there, and the characters we meet along the way.  The longer the show has gone on the more it ignores these things in favor of show value and getting to the most obvious conclusion by the most obvious route.  Sculpting with a chainsaw rather than a chisel.

Best character: Tywin. I thought he was a bit too one-dimensional and one-note in the books but in the show he's way more humanized and even somewhat relatable, a reminder that even the worst monsters are, well, human. And Charles Dance was just a treat to watch in the role. 

Worst character: I can't decide between Tyrion and Jaime. The former is now this saintly boring person who only makes bad dad jokes, a far cry from the spiteful schemer of the books, and the latter has been little more than a non-entity ever since he raped Cersei, going wherever the plot takes him with little to no change to his character. 

Best character omission: Aegon. He and his companions are boring and seem like they belong in another series altogether. 

Worst character omission: Manderly. He's one of the few vivid and memorable characters introduced post-aSoS IMO, as well as being a very entertaining player to watch.

Best character: Tywin or Davos

Worst character: The guy in my pic and it ain't even close

Best character omission: Aegon, he was introduced way too late in the game for this show even though he was foreshadowed since the beginning  

Worst character omission: Manderly. the show fans would of eaten him up

OOOH BOY this is a big topic!!!

Worst: Dorne. Just. Everything. Stannis. After this season I'd go Blackfish, too. 

Best: Tyrion. Ygritte. Gilly. 

Best omission: LSH (sorry!)

Worst omission: Arianne

Dead on: several, but first and foremost: NED. 

17 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

She's mainly been Littlefinger's pawn so far. I'll make my final judgment after the next episode.

But her storyline has garnered excitement and discussion. Can't say the same for Arya, other than the Fight Club fiasco.

3 hours ago, sonsastronk said:

I thought that Sansa's story has been pretty solid, though.

Solid? How so?

Tv Sansa doesn't have to work to hide anything. tv Sansa doesn't learn any political maneuvering. Tv Sansa has been so brutalized that she can't trust the one Stark family member she knows is alive.  Tv Sansa still knows nothing besides Littlefinger wants her as she herself points out at the end of season 4, but we are supposed to be surprised next episode Petyr wants wants Sansa :dunno: This makes no narrative sense. 

8 hours ago, TheStarkInWinterhell said:

Stannis is the worst character adaptation.

Worst storyline adaption is Jaime by a longshot. His whole redemption arc in the book is passed over for him being Cersei whipped dog.

Dorne, Iron Islands, The North in that order have been butchered since Season 4.

Davos is the best.

Yeh, basically this.

Archived