Is This Actually A Typo In The Book?

Stark Loyal

In a middle Bran chapter - on page 501 of the paperback (I know the hardcover version has slightly different page numbers) it says:

"Bran did want to be married to a tree . . . . but who else would wed a broken boy like him?"

Shouldn't that word be "didn't" (want to be marred to a tree) ?

Otherwise, it doesn't make that much sense in both intent and content.

Does anyone know?

(Or am I finding "mistakes" where there aren't any)

On 6/21/2016 at 7:31 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:

Most likely a typo.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.  It HAS to be.

I am a writer too (and therefore - like any writer with pride - an editor too - as in I edit my own pieces until they are worth submitting).  

That surely wasn't Martin's mistake - but an oversight in the printing.  Although a good editor should have spotted it.

I'm surprised Mallory Rubin hasn't contacted George to have that corrected in future editions. :P

7 hours ago, Stark Loyal said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer.  It HAS to be.

I am a writer too (and therefore - like any writer with pride - an editor too - as in I edit my own pieces until they are worth submitting).  

That surely wasn't Martin's mistake - but an oversight in the printing.  Although a good editor should have spotted it.

I'm surprised Mallory Rubin hasn't contacted George to have that corrected in future editions. :P

In my kindle edition it says "Bran did want not to be married to a tree..." Either you read it incorrectly given the strange sentence structure or it has been changed in more recent versions showing that it was indeed a mistake.

13 hours ago, Super Mario said:

In my kindle edition it says "Bran did want not to be married to a tree..." Either you read it incorrectly given the strange sentence structure or it has been changed in more recent versions showing that it was indeed a mistake.

In the asearchoficeandfire edition it's without the not, so this must be a newer edition. The sentence structure is really weird though, is this even grammatically correct?

Yeah, here is the search site version: https://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q=bran+married+to+a+tree

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

"Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden. "This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees."
Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him? A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. A greenseer.
He ate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived